Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Buy These! View Post
    I love Wyoming's campus and athletic facilities, the sports venues are in close to main campus like VT. Terribly small population in that state though.
    Agree, the population kills them.

Its the difference between being OHIO ST and being just plain Ohio......

Same holds true about the difference in perception......of ALABAMA or Alabamc-Birmingham. The perception more based in sports tradition and history...... while teams may come up , be improved, and maybe upset them........they'll still never be on same footing.

Quote Originally Posted by HOO86 View Post
    While they are not really an attractive addition to the ACC because of geography (already have 4 NC schools) as well as academics, East Carolina University should be attractive to someone. When trying to quantify value there are a lot of measurements, but ECU averages 45,000+ for their home football games consistently. That's more than USF, UCF, Cincinnati, and Connecticut.

ECU often gets lost because they have traditionally not been competitive in Men's basketball, but they just won the CIT tournament last month and are improving. They are going into the AAC, former Big East, so maybe they will get a little more publicity. They kind of get lost because the North Carolina ACC schools get all the attention.
    I've always liked ECU, but you're right about being located in an ACC-centric State. Now that the Big East (now AAC) is a non-AQ, ECU finds themselves back in the same situation as with Conference USA. The problem now is that the ACC already has too many Carolina schools and ECU ranks 30 points lower (199th) than Louisville academically per the subjective USNWR. There are too many people upset by the ACC's last move to lower the academic standard for Louisville's acceptance; which means ECU may be out of luck. Plus, NC State and UNC would be horrified if ECU joined the ACC and became as successful as them in sports.

The SEC would need ECU to double the size of their football stadium and rename their university to Carolina University (I'm sure UNC and USC would take exception to this). The B1G are just like the ACC in terms of academics and would never consider ECU as a viable option because of just that and the perception od ECU being a "directional" school. If the ACC hadn't snagged Louisville already, the Big XII could have offered Louisville, Cincinnati, ECU, Memphis, BYU and Boise State to get to 16 teams, plus give WVU some regional teams. Now, I doubt the Big XII expands eastward without Louisville. Besides, I expect the Big XII to fall apart in the near future if all this expansion talk has teeth, so that would leave ECU high and dry again. I feel bad for ECU because they deserve better.

Quote Originally Posted by Buy These! View Post
    Ohio has a very ACC-like profile. They would be a nice fit IMO. http://www.ohio.edu/focus/
    And a top 5 party school...
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0...hio_University

UNLV is a legitimate contender based on Nevada's demographics.

Quote Originally Posted by Calamitous View Post
    BYU and UConn seem to have a leg up on most of the non-AQ schools IMO. Then you have some schools that have made noise recently (last 10+ years) such as Boise State, Fresno State, Hawaii and Cincinnati based on football success. And if you go farther back, some schools like SDSU, UNLV, Memphis, SMU and Houston probably feel like they belong based on football or basketball success. Now, some of the commuter schools like UCF and USF want to be in the mix, only to get stuck in the AAC. And then there are schools that once belonged to an AQ conference like Temple and Tulane (going back to the 60s) that will likely never get that chance again. And how do the Academies fit in and should they fit in?

My other question is what is the magic number for AQ teams? Does it stay at 65? Does it increase to 80? Does the NCAA disappear and a new AQ college athletic alliance take over leaving the other 60 schools to fend for themselves in a "remnant" NCAA?

I guess Tech, K State, Ole Miss and Mississippi State should feel lucky to be a part of the AQ club since none have ever won a team NCAA National Title in any sport.
    Note that every state in the top 35 in population has an AQ representative, and the only states outside of the top 35 that have a rep are Nebraska and WV. Nevada sits at #36, with no AQs in the state. It's also one of the fastest growing states. If you believe the number gets bigger than 65, it seems natural that expansion would follow the pattern of favoring larger states over smaller states. On top of that, UNLV is a fairly large school - just a little smaller than VT.

Quote Originally Posted by Calamitous View Post
    BYU and UConn seem to have a leg up on most of the non-AQ schools IMO. Then you have some schools that have made noise recently (last 10+ years) such as Boise State, Fresno State, Hawaii and Cincinnati based on football success. And if you go farther back, some schools like SDSU, UNLV, Memphis, SMU and Houston probably feel like they belong based on football or basketball success. Now, some of the commuter schools like UCF and USF want to be in the mix, only to get stuck in the AAC. And then there are schools that once belonged to an AQ conference like Temple and Tulane (going back to the 60s) that will likely never get that chance again. And how do the Academies fit in and should they fit in?

My other question is what is the magic number for AQ teams? Does it stay at 65? Does it increase to 80? Does the NCAA disappear and a new AQ college athletic alliance take over leaving the other 60 schools to fend for themselves in a "remnant" NCAA?

I guess Tech, K State, Ole Miss and Mississippi State should feel lucky to be a part of the AQ club since none have ever won a team NCAA National Title in any sport.
    Cincinnati and UConn. Cincinnati has good football (multiple BCS games) and basketball (multiple national championships {60's I know, but 2 more than most}). Most of the others are pretty much one and done.