Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by hokieball View Post
    Where did I type ESPN wanted to give teams to Fox? ESPN doesn't control everything. If UVA and/or GT did leave the B1G it would be by those schools' choices. I was conveying that this rumor merely meant that ESPN wouldn't punish the remaining ACC teams if it were only those 4 schools that left. In some respects it is ludicrous. I have a hard time believing the other schools would want to remain if those 4 left, but like I've mentioned several times, its just a rumor and we all know how many of those are legit. Next to none.
    I'll give you this much. I don't think it's as crazy as others might. My thinking is that ACC basketball is more valuable to ESPN than ACC football and these moves would not seriously damage the ACC basketball brand. ACC football is not featured as it stand on ESPN so losing those 4 schools changes very little in that regard. Whereas, adding VT and NC State brings in revenue to ESPN via the SEC Network, which (following the Big TEN Network's model), means they can charge more per subscriber for all cable/satellite customers in VA and NC.

Quote Originally Posted by MPHOKIE View Post
    I'll give you this much. I don't think it's as crazy as others might. My thinking is that ACC basketball is more valuable to ESPN than ACC football and these moves would not seriously damage the ACC basketball brand. ACC football is not featured as it stand on ESPN so losing those 4 schools changes very little in that regard. Whereas, adding VT and NC State brings in revenue to ESPN via the SEC Network, which (following the Big TEN Network's model), means they can charge more per subscriber for all cable/satellite customers in VA and NC.
    it's not a mystery. when we announced the ND addition, Swofford disclosed how much of the TV money was for each sport. 80% was for football and 20% was for everything else. So ND will receive ~1.33% of the overall ACC TV revenue share while everyone else will receive ~7%. basketball is not more valuable.
    "This no more resembles that than something unlike something else resembles that." - Loosely quoting PHNC

Quote Originally Posted by BUGGZY View Post
    it's not a mystery. when we announced the ND addition, Swofford disclosed how much of the TV money was for each sport. 80% was for football and 20% was for everything else. So ND will receive ~1.33% of the overall ACC TV revenue share while everyone else will receive ~7%. basketball is not more valuable.
    I wasn't speaking to pure dollars but more from a programming perspective. ESPN will fill more prime-time programming hours with ACC hoops than they will with ACC football. But, to get the hoops (and keep football from another programmer that needs content), ESPN grabbed everything.

Why? Who do you think would leave if it were $0 and where would they go?
    Quote Originally Posted by UTPr0sim View Post
    Not till the MD $50million gets decided.

Quote Originally Posted by Buy These! View Post
    Because they are broke and worthless
    That's the bottom line.

Quote Originally Posted by hokieball View Post
    There has been a rumor floated around that ESPN would be willing to keep the ACC contract intact if it only lost UVA & GT to the B1G and VT & NCSU to the SEC. Under this rumor, the remaining 10 ACC schools would split the current ACC payout 10.5 ways instead of 14.5, plus they would each be playing ND twice every four years. In addition, this would be to match up with the Big 12 in a scheduling agreement for OOC games to enhance both conferences' TV appeal and SOS. Again not saying this will happen, but it's been floated and in some respects make sense for all involved. The major negative for ESPN, however, would be losing UVA & GT to Fox and the BTN.
    Why would the ACC want to lose the Virginia and Georgia television markets? I can see either UVa or Tech, but not both. Losing the Atlanta market isn't desirable. It will be interesting to seeing how much value the addition of Notre Dame actually brings to the ACC and if the ACC and ESPN will team up and form a network similar to the BTN and SECN.

Quote Originally Posted by 133304Hokie View Post
    Then don't expect movement anytime soon. The ACC is probably going to refuse to settle and draw out the process as long as they possibly can. Taking it all the way through trial (and appeals) could take 10 years.
    Why should the ACC settle? There is a fee, it was common knowledge, it was set under the rules/bylaws, Maryland should be held to meet their obligation.
    I don't always talk to UVa Grads but when I do I always order the Large Fries.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Line Hokie View Post
    Why would the ACC want to lose the Virginia and Georgia television markets?
    I'm pretty sure the ACC doesn't want to lose those markets and I never said they did. However, they also don't have much control over it other than the threat of an exit fee, kind of like the ACC losing the Maryland market. I'm pretty sure they didn't want to lose that one either.

I am also pretty sure that ESPN does NOT want to lose the ACC altogether if the poop hits the fan in realignment, which I think is the only thing that makes this rumor somewhat believable. Them being willing to keep the contract payout the same.
    Last edited by hokieball; Sat Apr 13 2013 at 08:20 AM.

bingo.....many teams involved in the many conference rumours waiting to see how the courts will rule.....in the favor of the team or the conference......Maryland is the test case. If Maryland wins out and pays very little or 1/2 of ACC demand......look for many schools to start testing the waters in other conferences..... the power conferences will try to cherry pick name schools flush with tv cash opportunities, tradition & name recognition, large television markets, and would add notoriety to their conference (perhaps bringing in others ) for ex the BIGs love affair with UNC (thinking it could bring along Duke).

Quote Originally Posted by dna-vt View Post
    bingo.....many teams involved in the many conference rumours waiting to see how the courts will rule.....in the favor of the team or the conference......Maryland is the test case. If Maryland wins out and pays very little or 1/2 of ACC demand......look for many schools to start testing the waters in other conferences..... the power conferences will try to cherry pick name schools flush with tv cash opportunities, tradition & name recognition, large television markets, and would add notoriety to their conference (perhaps bringing in others ) for ex the BIGs love affair with UNC (thinking it could bring along Duke).
    If Maryland ends up just paying the pre-Notre Dame exit fee of $14-$15 Million maybe "some" schools will entertain other conferences. The most likely being Florida State. Since FSU's main target would be the SEC, it's very unlikely they will leave the ACC for either the Big 10 (travel and culture issues) and the Big 12 (ACC is a better, more stable conference IMHO). As of now, the SEC wants nothing to do with FSU or Clemson. I still can't see UNC leaving the ACC catbird seat for the Big 10 thickets. Duke is very happy in the ACC. IMHO, UVa isn't leaving the ACC if UNC stays.

If the exit fee is reduced to $25-$26 Million, then I see no school interested in leaving the ACC unless the new ESPN + Notre Dame is over $10 Million less per school per year compared to the Big 10 and SEC. Even then, the question needs to be asked, "Will the BTN and SECN continue to be a cash cow 5 years down the road or will new technology and la carte television viewing decrease projected per school earnings?"

A $50-$52 Million exit fee will almost certainly prevent any school from leaving the ACC. The Big 12 won't go after any ACC schools. The Big 10 and SEC may have to look west to the Big 12 if they want to go to 16. Texas, Kansas, Oklahoma are very attractive. The Big 10 may even go after UConn. Of course the Big 10 or SEC could pay a large sum of the ACC exit fee but that seems unlikely. I would expect the state of Maryland to sue the ACC again. Maybe they will take it to a higher court? $52 Million is a lot of loot, even in 2013.