Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Lots of play going on.

To meet the deadline to officially leave the acc by 1 jul 2014 , md does not have to give notice till 31 aug. they are waiting to make sure they get every check they are due in 2013. Once the notice is formally legally provided, acc will simply quit providing checks to md for acc traveling, and any other outlay. Consider it part of the fifty million plus they owe for damages.

MD can leave 1 jul 2014 , but the court case will be strung out. There will not be any official position from the membership on how md is handled. However they will be the conferences lowest priority for TV games and exposure. Will not be pretty.

this case is based in North Carolina therefore business rules from the state is followed no matter what MD THINKS

QUOTE=133304Hokie;730287]Then don't expect movement anytime soon. The ACC is probably going to refuse to settle and draw out the process as long as they possibly can. Taking it all the way through trial (and appeals) could take 10 years.[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by tennesseevol View Post
    ....I talk with many SEC fans from several different states and none want the ACC to fold. To the letter every one of them wants no other teams to come into the SEC. We want things to stay as they are.

May the ACC prosper and each entity enjoy their conference!
    There has been a rumor floated around that ESPN would be willing to keep the ACC contract intact if it only lost UVA & GT to the B1G and VT & NCSU to the SEC. Under this rumor, the remaining 10 ACC schools would split the current ACC payout 10.5 ways instead of 14.5, plus they would each be playing ND twice every four years. In addition, this would be to match up with the Big 12 in a scheduling agreement for OOC games to enhance both conferences' TV appeal and SOS. Again not saying this will happen, but it's been floated and in some respects make sense for all involved. The major negative for ESPN, however, would be losing UVA & GT to Fox and the BTN.

Quote Originally Posted by hokieball View Post
    There has been a rumor floated around that ESPN would be willing to keep the ACC contract intact if it only lost UVA & GT to the B1G and VT & NCSU to the SEC. Under this rumor, the remaining 10 ACC schools would split the current ACC payout 10.5 ways instead of 14.5, plus they would each be playing ND twice every four years. In addition, this would be to match up with the Big 12 in a scheduling agreement for OOC games to enhance both conferences' TV appeal and SOS. Again not saying this will happen, but it's been floated and in some respects make sense for all involved. The major negative for ESPN, however, would be losing UVA & GT to Fox and the BTN.
    That's gotta be the most nonsensical rumor ever, and this board has had some doozies. Why would ESPN want to give properties away to FOX and CBS? I am so glad Will created this board. We don't have this garbage infesting every thread on the football board, but its a very entertaining place to visit on occasion.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Line Hokie View Post
    I think the Big 12 fans are the most likely to want to see the ACC fold. Most Big 10 fans didn't even want Maryland or Rutgers to join. The only Big 10 fans that want expansion are the ones living in areas without Big 10 schools like VA, NC, GA, FL, TX,... The only thing I've heard from most SEC fans is "if" they expand to 16, they think it would only make sense to expand with a school from NC and from VA to make 16. Most fans feel "16" is as big as they ever want to get. I hear that from ACC, SEC, and Big 10 fans all the time. I personally like an 8 or 10 member conference, but I'm old school and those days are long gone.
    Everything is cyclical. The downside of large conferences in losing those rivalries has manifested itself already, particularly in the lack of interest in basketball. I mean when Duke can't fill up their student section for conference games, something is up. The move back to smaller conferences where the schools have more in common has already begun (in a small way) with the Big East.

Quote Originally Posted by Buy These! View Post
    That's gotta be the most nonsensical rumor ever, and this board has had some doozies. Why would ESPN want to give properties away to FOX and CBS? I am so glad Will created this board. We don't have this garbage infesting every thread on the football board, but its a very entertaining place to visit on occasion.
    Where did I type ESPN wanted to give teams to Fox? ESPN doesn't control everything. If UVA and/or GT did leave the B1G it would be by those schools' choices. I was conveying that this rumor merely meant that ESPN wouldn't punish the remaining ACC teams if it were only those 4 schools that left. In some respects it is ludicrous. I have a hard time believing the other schools would want to remain if those 4 left, but like I've mentioned several times, its just a rumor and we all know how many of those are legit. Next to none.
    Last edited by hokieball; Fri Apr 12 2013 at 11:27 AM.

Why did ESPN give Maryland away?

Quote Originally Posted by Buy These! View Post
    Seriously, ESPN doesn't hold title to any schools that I know of.

....I talk with many SEC fans from several different states and none want the ACC to fold. To the letter every one of them wants no other teams to come into the SEC. We want things to stay as they are.

I must admit that's the first time I've heard anybody say that. I lived in what many consider the heart of the SEC - Atlanta - for many years. I'd say 80% of the lawyers in my firm were SEC alumni of some sort, and even after the A&M-Mizzou expansion, most expressed an interest in getting to 16. Most like UNC, as it would likely become one of the top 5 most valuable properties in the conference. But hey, your circle of friends might be of a different mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Line Hokie View Post
    I just posted this because this board is pretty much dead.

Does anyone have any clue when the exit fee will be settled? Will it drag on until June 30, 2014 (Maryland's last day in the ACC) or will it be settled soon (within next few months)?
    in hindsight, we should have just made umd pay L'ville's BE exit fee and kicked them out a year early to get L'ville in a year early. it might not had made the most sense monetarily, but i just want umd gone sooner than later.

i'm guessing this drags out until next spring at the earliest, possibly even beyond their departure date.
    "This no more resembles that than something unlike something else resembles that." - Loosely quoting PHNC

+100000000000000000000
    "This no more resembles that than something unlike something else resembles that." - Loosely quoting PHNC

Quote Originally Posted by lawhokie View Post
    Seriously, ESPN doesn't hold title to any schools that I know of.
    Because they are broke and worthless