Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The AAC will get $44 million from the tourney performance of future ACC teams.

Interesting article from InsideTheACC.com that details how the old Big East -- the new AAC, hate that name -- will receive $44 million worth of NCAA Tournament units piled up by Pittsburgh, Syracuse, and Louisville while those schools were part of the Big East. Those units will not come with those teams to the ACC, but will stay behind and go to the AAC.

One facet if those teams' exit from the Big East that I was not aware of is that NCAA Tournament units earned by those teams in the past will stay with the "Big East" -- the AAC -- after the breakup. I'm not sure if this is standard when schools move from conference to conference, or part of the negotiations to get out and head to the ACC.

Note that Notre Dame's units are going with the Irish. The Irish made other concessions in order to be able to keep their units and take them to the ACC.

The Big Money Behind the Big Dance
    Always use "Reply With Quote", so everyone knows to whom you're responding.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Stewart View Post
    Interesting article from InsideTheACC.com that details how the old Big East -- the new AAC, hate that name -- will receive $44 million worth of NCAA Tournament units piled up by Pittsburgh, Syracuse, and Louisville while those schools were part of the Big East. Those units will not come with those teams to the ACC, but will stay behind and go to the AAC.

One facet if those teams' exit from the Big East that I was not aware of is that NCAA Tournament units earned by those teams in the past will stay with the "Big East" -- the AAC -- after the breakup. I'm not sure if this is standard when schools move from conference to conference, or part of the negotiations to get out and head to the ACC.

Note that Notre Dame's units are going with the Irish. The Irish made other concessions in order to be able to keep their units and take them to the ACC.

That "AAC" already confused me. I first thought it was "ACC." It will take time for my eyes and mind to adjust to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Line Hokie View Post
    That "AAC" already confused me. I first thought it was "ACC." It will take time for my eyes and mind to adjust to it.
    It's almost like the Big East did it intentionally, to flip the bird at the ACC.

It's almost like the Big East did it intentionally, to flip the bird at the ACC.
    or in preparation for a long-term merger plan to form the AAACCC?
    "This no more resembles that than something unlike something else resembles that." - Loosely quoting PHNC

It's standard. Points are awarded to conferences, not schools.

You don't remember 1994 when one of the reasons Syracuse et. al. gave for screwing VT instead of splitting off into an all sports conference was all the points money (a whopping $500,000 per year IIRC) they would be leaving behind?

Quote Originally Posted by NC ACC Hokie View Post

It's standard. Points are awarded to conferences, not schools.

You don't remember 1994 when one of the reasons Syracuse et. al. gave for screwing VT instead of splitting off into an all sports conference was all the points money (a whopping $500,000 per year IIRC) they would be leaving behind?
    Yep, that's right. Plus, one year later, the reason why the Metro teams who wanted to form a football league wouldn't leave and form a new conference is because they would be leaving behind all their tourney units with VT and VCU. So they kicked VT and VCU out of the Metro and kept the Metro name and Metro money. Then they added some Great Midwest teams and started calling themselves Conference USA.

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner

The title of the article should be..."Virginia Tech NCAA basketball units... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2V3CfD8TPac "

Precisely.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Line Hokie View Post
    I prefer "AmAthCon." Less confusing that way and it makes their conference sound like a B-list science fiction convention.

Hey------we're 3 for 3 leading the pack in race to the ..............................bottom. Men Bb, Women Bb, & Bball units.

The really good news is theres no way we can go but up.....!