Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by TDVick View Post
    Good to hear. I suspect there is some kind of "soft-landing" arrangement between UVA and VT. I happen to think the writing on the wall has been pretty clear for a long time. I think the ACC eventually unravels. I also don't have very much faith in Weaver. He chose a very inconvenient time to can Seth. Moreover, when he did, I said to myself, "Well, he wouldn't be canning Seth unless he was confident he could get a proven replacement!" Turns out he was completely winging it. Had he waited until this year he could've gotten Tubby or Ben Howland.

He's a good financial manager, but has made some really TERRIBLE strategic bargaining errors (1) standoff with Beamer (2) entire administration made idiotic comments prior to ACC entry and handled the Big East demise poorly (3) I don't think the administration demonstrated any particular competence during that episode (4) Seth firing/replacement hire was haphazard and clumsily handled.

Not going SEC in lieu of Mizzou fits a common theme. My presumption of competence by these guys hasn't always been vindicated.
    Weaver has no real bearing on what conference choices VT makes, that's more on the President and BOV. As far as Seth's firing hopefully one day it will come out what Seth did that day to call the abrupt parting of the ways..

Quote Originally Posted by Hokie83 View Post
    As far as Seth's firing hopefully one day it will come out what Seth did that day to call the abrupt parting of the ways..
    Lol...if you knew you could just tell everyone.

Warchant is talking some FSU to B10. Not a member to read but interesting twist if true.

Quote Originally Posted by Gobbler-100 View Post
    Lol...if you knew you could just tell everyone.
    I do know..LOL

Quote Originally Posted by PVB Hokie View Post
    Warchant is talking some FSU to B10. Not a member to read but interesting twist if true.
    I think they can get in if they convince other ACC teams to join too, think GT, UVA, or UNC. I could totally see them being allowed in with GT for instance. The B1G wants those other three for academic reasons and would go slumming with FSU in order to get them. And FSU brings some VERY MUCH NEEDED football power, another HUGE state that provides a ton of TVs and recruits as well. I've heard that the B1G folks are realizing that the football talent is down south and it makes them nervous that the MW and NE states aren't producing enough recruits. Hence all of this southern invasion stuff.

I think with the B1G, people are forgetting that it's an athletic conference too. Yes, academics are big to them, but so is football, and so is F$U. They almost NEED a caliber of football program such as the NOLES at this point. The OSU, Nebraska, and Michigan fans aint gonna like their football schedules filled with UVA, Rutgers, Illinois, or Minnesota. They've got 100,000 seat stadiums and fball is hundred million dollar industries up there. And BTW, they could increase the academic prestige of an FSU overnight by including them in the CIC. FSU could find itself in the AAU within 15 years under such conditions and the votes of the current B1G members.
    Last edited by chuckd4vt; Fri Apr 05 2013 at 12:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jaitken View Post
    While I'm a big fan of an SEC move, I disagree on a couple of points here. First, arguing that our administration was shortsighted assumes facts not in evidence. We don't know what Steger or the BOV really think about conference alignment; all we know is what's been made public. We know that AAU is a strategic goal that we're aggressively pursuing. Given that, it's possible or even likely that Steger sees B1G membership as being far more valuable to the university as a whole compared to SEC membership. If so, he's not being shortsighted, he's looking at a number of factors that go far beyond athletic issues. We have the luxury of being able to mostly ignore the academic stuff and focusing on what we tend to care more about: road trips to Tuscaloosa, Baton Rouge, Oxford, Gainesville, Athens, Knoxville, and College Station, versus Evanston, Lafayette, Bloomington, etc (never mind College Park or the sewer known as Newark).

Second, whether or not we were more desirable than Mizzou is only part of the story. For all we know, Steger, the UVA president, and the governor may well have a "soft landing" pact such that neither school gets to move unless the other is guaranteed a safe home. I'd be perfectly happy if we left the hoovers to rot in a diminished ACC, but I'm pretty sure that the powers that be don't share that viewpoint.
    I don't think UVA would mind being left behind in a watered down ACC. They would LOVE to not be in a conference with VT and would be allowed to stick their noses up at us even more. Seriously. I don't think they care. We do obviously and fball is a massive money maker for VT and the NRV. That's why the political pressure was applied. UVA focuses on the other sports as much as fball and those would be fine if VT, Clemson, Miami, FSU bolted.

Why, In the Name of All that is Sacred, Would You Even Want to be in the B1G?

VT to the B1G is an idea that cropped up while I was taking a break from your board. I was surprised to learn that it is even being discussed.

The B1G is a rust belt conference and people are moving from those states as quickly as they can pack their sleds and attach snow chains to their tires. I will never understand why VT would consider a move to the B1G as anything better than a lateral move.

Quote Originally Posted by Maroon Baboon View Post
    You seem to think the the administration can make this decision unilaterally. This is not the case. Once we used the courts and the legislature to get into the ACC, we are bound to them to a large extent. Live by the sword--die by the sword, if you will. We aren't going anywhere until UVa gets theirs. Our singular departure would leave UVa in a damaged ACC--that is simply not happening.
    I think UVA would be just fine if VT, FSU, Clemson, Miami, or GT left the ACC. Football isn't the money maker that it is for VT and Montgomery County. They just don't care too much and are quite content to be in a second tier fball conference. And the other sports would be fine if those schools left too. Additionally, they would probably be quite happy if VT weren't in their conference.

Quote Originally Posted by LSU Tiger View Post
    VT to the B1G is an idea that cropped up while I was taking a break from your board. I was surprised to learn that it is even being discussed.

The B1G is a rust belt conference and people are moving from those states as quickly as they can pack their sleds and attach snow chains to their tires. I will never understand why VT would consider a move to the B1G as anything better than a lateral move.
    I think 20-30 years from now, the SEC will be viewed as academically superior to the B1G. Seriously. The people are moving down south and the money is following.

The same thing could be said about Virginia Tech and Clemson to a large extent. I think it would get mighty interesting if the B1G went into the Deep South and took the football schools en bloc. Could probably include NCSU too. All are decent schools that would be elevated by B1G academics.

I would assume in such a situation that UNC and UVa would go to the SEC.

I think FSU would be great for the B1G. And since the SEC doesn't want to invite FSU...the result might be having the B1G in their backyard. Would make for good theatre.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckd4vt View Post
    I think they can get in if they convince other ACC teams to join too, think GT, UVA, or UNC. I could totally see them being allowed in with GT for instance. The B1G wants those other three for academic reasons and would go slumming with FSU in order to get them. And FSU brings some VERY MUCH NEEDED football power, another HUGE state that provides a ton of TVs and recruits as well. I've heard that the B1G folks are realizing that the football talent is down south and it makes them nervous that the MW and NE states aren't producing enough recruits. Hence all of this southern invasion stuff.

I think with the B1G, people are forgetting that it's an athletic conference too. Yes, academics are big to them, but so is football, and so is F$U. They almost NEED a caliber of football program such as the NOLES at this point. The OSU, Nebraska, and Michigan fans aint gonna like their football schedules filled with UVA, Rutgers, Illinois, or Minnesota. They've got 100,000 seat stadiums and fball is hundred million dollar industries up there. And BTW, they could increase the academic prestige of an FSU overnight by including them in the CIC. FSU could find itself in the AAU within 15 years under such conditions and the votes of the current B1G members.