Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

If UVA to B10 and UNC to SEC makes some strategic sense... then what can we conclude?

http://www.mrsec.com/2013/04/the-big...s/#more-268315

Notice that we aren't included in those rumors? It suggests to me that once conferences get above 16 members, scheduling becomes unwieldy - especially in the SEC's opinion. If so, then there are two "life rafts" in the SEC - assuming B10 doesn't want us. Not to mention that the SEC is far more desirable for us culturally and geographically than B10.

I conclude that our administration was irresponsible, reckless and idiotically myopic by not pursuing the SEC during the time that the SEC accepted Mizzou. No one on this board can credibly argue that the SEC wouldn't have preferred us to Mizzou. If we were preferred to Mizzou, then we could have easily gotten in the SEC.

Guess what people?! UNC is trying their best to burn us. Will they be effective? I don't know. If our administration had gotten off their asses and had some vision, we wouldn't have to consider this!

Any of you people that said "I like the ACC in its present form" want to try to argue otherwise?

I suspect there's a backdoor agreement that UVA goes B10, so that VT ends up in the SEC, but those whores at Carolina will try their damndest to bring along Duke. Things have to fall just right for us to end up in a good place. It didn't need to be this way!

Quote Originally Posted by TDVick View Post

Notice that we aren't included in those rumors? It suggests to me that once conferences get above 16 members, scheduling becomes unwieldy - especially in the SEC's opinion. If so, then there are two "life rafts" in the SEC - assuming B10 doesn't want us. Not to mention that the SEC is far more desirable for us culturally and geographically than B10.

I conclude that our administration was irresponsible, reckless and idiotically myopic by not pursuing the SEC during the time that the SEC accepted Mizzou. No one on this board can credibly argue that the SEC wouldn't have preferred us to Mizzou. If we were preferred to Mizzou, then we could have easily gotten in the SEC.

Guess what people?! UNC is trying their best to burn us. Will they be effective? I don't know. If our administration had gotten off their asses and had some vision, we wouldn't have to consider this!

Any of you people that said "I like the ACC in its present form" want to try to argue otherwise?

I suspect there's a backdoor agreement that UVA goes B10, so that VT ends up in the SEC, but those whores at Carolina will try their damndest to bring along Duke. Things have to fall just right for us to end up in a good place. It didn't need to be this way!
    Chill, UNC is not going anywhere

Quote Originally Posted by Buy These! View Post
    Chill, UNC is not going anywhere
    Agree

While I'm a big fan of an SEC move, I disagree on a couple of points here. First, arguing that our administration was shortsighted assumes facts not in evidence. We don't know what Steger or the BOV really think about conference alignment; all we know is what's been made public. We know that AAU is a strategic goal that we're aggressively pursuing. Given that, it's possible or even likely that Steger sees B1G membership as being far more valuable to the university as a whole compared to SEC membership. If so, he's not being shortsighted, he's looking at a number of factors that go far beyond athletic issues. We have the luxury of being able to mostly ignore the academic stuff and focusing on what we tend to care more about: road trips to Tuscaloosa, Baton Rouge, Oxford, Gainesville, Athens, Knoxville, and College Station, versus Evanston, Lafayette, Bloomington, etc (never mind College Park or the sewer known as Newark).

Second, whether or not we were more desirable than Mizzou is only part of the story. For all we know, Steger, the UVA president, and the governor may well have a "soft landing" pact such that neither school gets to move unless the other is guaranteed a safe home. I'd be perfectly happy if we left the hoovers to rot in a diminished ACC, but I'm pretty sure that the powers that be don't share that viewpoint.
    "For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

--Leonardo da Vinci

Not to mention that the SEC is far more desirable for us culturally and geographically than B10.
    You know, I first read this sentence without a pause, but then I got to thinking a bit more about it. I'm not sure it's a slam-dunk case. I've found a lot more in common with my colleagues from Purdue, Iowa, Wisconsin, and Nebraska, for example, than anyone I've ever met from LSU, Arkansas, Florida, Ole Miss, or Alabama. The Big 10 folks were more like Hokies in the sense that they had respect and humility (I sure hope these are still defining characteristics in our fanbase!) while still being passionate fans.

I'm convinced that UNC and UVa will be in the same conference. This might be SEC, B1G or ACC. But I think they pair in any deal. UNC has a lot of barging power. They might be able to get the B1G or the SEC to take UVa AND Duke.

So I generally dismiss any rumor out there that says VT and UNC to the SEC I unless they want to talk about the SEC going to 18 or more.

ANd I think the SEC would take either UVa or VT, I don't think they have a big consensus down there about which school from the Commonwealth they should take.

Quote Originally Posted by Maroon Baboon View Post
    I'm convinced that UNC and UVa will be in the same conference. This might be SEC, B1G or ACC. But I think they pair in any deal. UNC has a lot of barging power. They might be able to get the B1G or the SEC to take UVa AND Duke.

So I generally dismiss any rumor out there that says VT and UNC to the SEC I unless they want to talk about the SEC going to 18 or more.

ANd I think the SEC would take either UVa or VT, I don't think they have a big consensus down there about which school from the Commonwealth they should take.
    All of this nonsense is why I wish VT had moved to the SEC. Assuming of course VT had that option, wouldn't it be nice to be free of UNC's decision-making process? I'm sick of every discussion of the fate of the ACC starting with "If UNC does x...." The sad fact is that the 4 ACC schools in North Carolina absorb 1/3 of conference payouts but do not return that value to the conference pool. UNC will have to accept they can't drag their dead weight into any conference they want.

It would be so nice to have a nice cozy spot in the SEC - opposite Texas A&M, and cashing those fat SEC checks. I understand that some believe VT's academics would suffer. I have no idea whether that is true, but I do strongly believe that the SEC will improve academically over time.

We had to claw our way into the ACC, and UNC didn't want us anyway. The SEC appears to actually want us in their conference. Imagine that.

Oh brother! Where to begin?

First of all, UNC to the SEC and UVA to the Big 10 does not make "strategic sense" for either one of those two schools. What makes strategic sense is staying right where they are. The ACC is in a lot stronger position than many, if not most, realize.

From a historical, geographic, and cultural perspective, UNC's best place is in a strong & thriving ACC. Also, once Louisville, Syracuse, Pitt and Notre Dame are on board, the league's finances are going to look a lot better too.

The only way that UNC would depart the ACC is if Clemson and FSU bolt, which I think is looking increasingly unlikely every day. But if the ACC does fracture, VT will not be left without a home in a major conference, be it the SEC, the Big 10, or the Big 12. We are simply too valuable a commodity to be left without a home when the dust settles.

Finally, your comments about the VT administration are childish. You have absolutely no clue as to what's been going on behind the scenes, so for you to conclude from afar that " ... our administration was irresponsible, reckless and idiotically myopic by not pursuing the SEC during the time that the SEC accepted Mizzou" is just plain ignorant.

VT has good reasons for wanting to stay in the ACC. Very good reasons. But if it looks like the league isn't going to survive as a major football conference, then VT will do what is best for VT and I can assure you that talks have taken places between VT and the SEC in that regard. We will not be stuck in a second-tier conference, no matter what happens. So take a Midol and relax.
    Last edited by Hokiestud; Thu Apr 04 2013 at 04:19 PM.

I'm an SECphile and would love that too. But once we did what we did to get into the ACC, we can't do anything that would weaken UVa's strategic position (like leave the ACC). I understand and accept it, but it still pisses me off.

I was someone who was content in the BigEast and was mad at the ACC for ruining our conference (and all for Miami, too. What a joke!). I agree with what you've written in this post and other about the future of SEC academics. But I will go a step further and say that I care little about the perceived differences in academic reputation between the ACC and the SEC as well as the old Big East and the ACC a decade ago. I started my graduate studies at Tech when we were still in the Big East and finished after we joined the ACC. And I don't consider my degree any more valuable since I graduated from "an ACC school." I think a lot of it is hubris and superficiality.

I feel ZERO obligation to the ACC, accept for what UVa did to get us in...I guess we made our proverbial bed...
    Last edited by Maroon Baboon; Thu Apr 04 2013 at 04:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lawhokie View Post
    It would be so nice to have a nice cozy spot in the SEC - opposite Texas A&M, and cashing those fat SEC checks. I understand that some believe VT's academics would suffer. I have no idea whether that is true, but I do strongly believe that the SEC will improve academically over time.
    Amen to that!
    "For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

--Leonardo da Vinci