Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Of Course the SEC would Accept UNC.

Of course the SEC would accept UNC - in a heartbeat. I'd venture to guess we would also take NC State, UVa, and/or VT, but probably not all four or even two from the same state. Any other team from the ACC would range from being very much of a maybe to a hell no. While we would appreciate the concomitant enhancement of our academic reputation that is not our primary concern. We want quality athletic programs with loyal fan bases which, more importantly to us, would swell our coffers.

But you would never even consider WVU as a member.

Quote Originally Posted by LSU Tiger View Post
    Of course the SEC would accept UNC - in a heartbeat. I'd venture to guess we would also take NC State, UVa, and/or VT, but probably not all four or even two from the same state. Any other team from the ACC would range from being very much of a maybe to a hell no. While we would appreciate the concomitant enhancement of our academic reputation that is not our primary concern. We want quality athletic programs with loyal fan bases which, more importantly to us, would swell our coffers.
    WVU has a better and larger fan base, by far, than UVa, and has been much better in football and basketball in recent years, and they actually attend home games and (BCS) bowls.

Granted WVU is a small state, but they have all the attributes for SEC members that you discussed, but the SEC wouldn't take them in a million years. Bottom line is that the SEC is very interested in adding academic players. How do I know? Well Slive said that in the last expansion.

LSU already gives athletic money back to the university - a few more bucks in conference revenue won't make much difference to LSU or Bama or Florida et al. because most of your money doesn't come from conference distributions. I think Slive was telling the truth when he said the SEC is making a real play to improve its academic standing. That's one reason I think VT should make the jump, especially if UNC comes along.

Can't see UNC & VT going anywhere together, and I think you are correct about...

...about academics (wrt the SEC/WVU), but I also think the SEC isn't interested in Yankee schools (see: 1863).

WRT UNC and VT, I think UVa will do whatever UNC does. If UNC goes to the SEC, UVa will be the selection from Virginia (because that is what UNC will want, and possibly the SEC as well). If UNC stays in ACC, they will stay. If UNC goes B1G, then so will UVa. I think we will get invited to the B1G if UNC and UVa go to the SEC, and reverse that if UNC goes to the B1G.
    Quote Originally Posted by lawhokie View Post
    WVU has a better and larger fan base, by far, than UVa, and has been much better in football and basketball in recent years, and they actually attend home games and (BCS) bowls.

Granted WVU is a small state, but they have all the attributes for SEC members that you discussed, but the SEC wouldn't take them in a million years. Bottom line is that the SEC is very interested in adding academic players. How do I know? Well Slive said that in the last expansion.

LSU already gives athletic money back to the university - a few more bucks in conference revenue won't make much difference to LSU or Bama or Florida et al. because most of your money doesn't come from conference distributions. I think Slive was telling the truth when he said the SEC is making a real play to improve its academic standing. That's one reason I think VT should make the jump, especially if UNC comes along.

Quote Originally Posted by Maroon Baboon View Post
    ...about academics (wrt the SEC/WVU), but I also think the SEC isn't interested in Yankee schools (see: 1863).

WRT UNC and VT, I think UVa will do whatever UNC does. If UNC goes to the SEC, UVa will be the selection from Virginia (because that is what UNC will want, and possibly the SEC as well). If UNC stays in ACC, they will stay. If UNC goes B1G, then so will UVa. I think we will get invited to the B1G if UNC and UVa go to the SEC, and reverse that if UNC goes to the B1G.
    West Virginia is just a little more "Yankee" than Kentucky and Missouri. All 3 along with Maryland/Delaware were border states.

It's not geography it's fan conduct and academics

West va has open admission rules, really poor academics and in this world of looking for role model student athletes they have not demonstrated a good value.

Then the most important is their fan base is out of control. Extreme violence vulgarity both home and away. Many schools will not play them due to this rep and three they offer no tv market in one of the most destitute states in the nation.

QUOTE=Old Line Hokie;714283]West Virginia is just a little more "Yankee" than Kentucky and Missouri. All 3 along with Maryland/Delaware were border states.[/QUOTE]

http://http://www.longrangeplan.vt.edu/strengths.pdf
    Quote Originally Posted by dna-vt View Post
    conference realignment?
    Interesting study from vt why join aau. But also shows the univerity focus and funding and direction for obtaining additional corporate dollars.

Simply vt athletics is not a focus of the UNiversity. Wish we can better integrate athletic program into these strategic goals.
    Last edited by Mercury; Sun Mar 24 2013 at 01:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
    http://http://www.longrangeplan.vt.edu/strengths.pdf

Interesting study from vt why join aau. But also shows the univerity focus and funding and direction for obtaining additional corporate dollars.

Simply vt athletics is not a focus of the UNiversity. Wish we can better integrate athletic program into these strategic goals.
    So I guess Tech will need to figure out a way to increase endowments from $452 million to $1 billion, triple the number of PhDs and establish a comprehensive division of health over the next 5 years. This all needs to be done while convincing professors to accept non-tenure based hires. Tech can probably achieve non-tenure based hires by going the more "international" approach in hiring PhDs. The home grown American PhDs would probably squak at the mere idea of no tenure. I wonder if the other established AAU's promote the non-tenure approach?

It sounds like one of the big keys to all of this is having a strong healthcare and medical research program. To me, this seems like it will take years to develop this into something reputable and renown.

It's interesting that GT is considered our peer. I wonder if Rambling Wreckers would take exception to this. I will say, I know a lot of post bachelorette enginners where I work and they all say there are 2 schools to attend in the southeast if you want to extend your engineering degree: 1) GT if you plan on becoming a professor and 2) VT if you want a more traditional engineering career.

One final note, Tech ranks 179th in SAT and ACT scores. I wonder if AAU status imporves those numbers ot not?

All I know is after reading all that, it makes me want to watch "the gods must be crazy." Things just shouldn't have to be this convoluted.

If you are sports fan, this puts it all in perspective

There is obviously a gap between the university and athletics with regards to the future . The program we have is baselined. There will not be any hiring of high salaried coaches in basketball. We will get coaching projects and if they are successful be cherry picked by other programs.

The bov and president is all on board and executing the program. It is also a plan to significantly reduce any reliance on the stste and evolving into a semi private it intuition. It's transforming vt ..cut is not the UNiveristy of 10 20 to 50 years ago.

Athletics have to figure a way to respond and demonstrate it can help the university succeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Calamitous View Post
    So I guess Tech will need to figure out a way to increase endowments from $452 million to $1 billion, triple the number of PhDs and establish a comprehensive division of health over the next 5 years. This all needs to be done while convincing professors to accept non-tenure based hires. Tech can probably achieve non-tenure based hires by going the more "international" approach in hiring PhDs. The home grown American PhDs would probably squak at the mere idea of no tenure. I wonder if the other established AAU's promote the non-tenure approach?

It sounds like one of the big keys to all of this is having a strong healthcare and medical research program. To me, this seems like it will take years to develop this into something reputable and renown.

It's interesting that GT is considered our peer. I wonder if Rambling Wreckers would take exception to this. I will say, I know a lot of post bachelorette enginners where I work and they all say there are 2 schools to attend in the southeast if you want to extend your engineering degree: 1) GT if you plan on becoming a professor and 2) VT if you want a more traditional engineering career.

One final note, Tech ranks 179th in SAT and ACT scores. I wonder if AAU status imporves those numbers ot not?

All I know is after reading all that, it makes me want to watch "the gods must be crazy." Things just shouldn't have to be this convoluted.

There is obviously a gap between the university and athletics with regards to the future . The program we have is baselined. There will not be any hiring of high salaried coaches in basketball. We will get coaching projects and if they are successful be cherry picked by other programs.

The bov and president is all on board and executing the program. It is also a plan to significantly reduce any reliance on the stste and evolving into a semi private it intuition. It's transforming vt ..cut is not the UNiveristy of 10 20 to 50 years ago.

Athletics have to figure a way to respond and demonstrate it can help the university succeed.
    It's a direction every major university strives for. Tech football will always be the 500 pound gorilla of the athletic department, where basketball and Olympic sports will be subject to the discretion of our current and future ADs. Since having a degree from Tech (23 years), Tech basketball has only had 2 NCAA tournament berths. I don't expect that to change in the near future.

All public post-secondary institutions are evolving towards semi-public status, save for community colleges. The constant decline in state support makes that imperative. And that increases the pressure on athletics. Remember, most institutions run a deficit on athletics spending. It's one of the reasons I think a breakaway league is wishful thinking. Priorities are elsewhere right now -- for fans and for administrators. If state support picks up, and the economy improves, things might change. But as it stands, when you have news magazines asking "is college worth it?", well, admin priorities have to reflect this.