Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by I85Hokie View Post
    All I know is, there doesn't seem to be all that much correlation between USN rankings and AAU membership. There are several schools lower ranked than VT that have AAU membership. Iowa State, Missouri, and SUNY-Buffalo, to name a few. Maybe those schools just have more research dollars. Although Iowa State still baffles me. The land grant school in a largely rural state with less than half the population of Virginia has AAU status and we don't.
    There isn't much correlation because they measure two very different things. USNWR rankings measure selectivity in admissions, alumni giving, and test scores. Those are all related to undergraduate education. AAU membership is about research and graduate education. Iowa State awarded 376 PhDs last year. AAU membership is largely skewed to the northeast and midwest because they have a much longer tradition of funding higher education than the south does (plus, most southern states had to split their funding, however unequally, among multiple segregated universities).

Quote Originally Posted by Perfesser View Post
    There isn't much correlation because they measure two very different things. USNWR rankings measure selectivity in admissions, alumni giving, and test scores. Those are all related to undergraduate education. AAU membership is about research and graduate education. Iowa State awarded 376 PhDs last year. AAU membership is largely skewed to the northeast and midwest because they have a much longer tradition of funding higher education than the south does (plus, most southern states had to split their funding, however unequally, among multiple segregated universities).

I appreciate your contributions on this board. I used to work in university administration, and am now a research professor, and your takes on things are often spot-on. Academic affiliations and particularly their relationships to athletics are nuanced, and you do a good job breaking them down and providing useful context.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
    This is very interesting ... Wonder what is vt progress?

Has a lot of merit in conference discussions .

http://http://www.the-boneyard.com/threads/ray-dunaway-reports-uconn-to-aau-inside-a-year.35919/

Find that hard to believe. From what I can tell they are significantly behind VT in research funding. (see page 20 attached)

http://mup.asu.edu/research2011.pdf

Lurker

Nonsense

Quote Originally Posted by Old Line Hokie View Post
    After the Big 10 fails in attracting any more ACC schools, UConn may be their last chance for an additional east coast member. UConn is a Land-grant university and AAU status would fit the Big 10's requirements. Then the Big 10 can start raiding the Big 12.
    The Big Ten has no interest in southern schools. They are culturally mismatched.

I have lived in the south (Virginia and Texas) and have family in the south for generations. There is no chance of a southern school fitting in with the Big Ten. Realignment can only go so far.

Connecticut and Missouri do make much sense, as do Kansas and Massachusetts. The AAU is pretty important, so it would be good for Connecticut or Massachusetts to make that grade. If either can do it, I think they would be automatic.

Nebraska seems to have been removed on a technicality, so hopefully that can be repaired.
    Last edited by mbradleyc; Thu Oct 24 2013 at 08:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mbradleyc View Post
    The Big Ten has no interest in southern schools. They are culturally mismatched.

I have lived in the south (Virginia and Texas) and have family in the south for generations. There is no chance of a southern school fitting in with the Big Ten. Realignment can only go so far.

Connecticut and Missouri do make much sense, as do Kansas and Massachusetts. The AAU is pretty important, so it would be good for Connecticut or Massachusetts to make that grade. If either can do it, I think they would be automatic.

Nebraska seems to have been removed on a technicality, so hopefully that can be repaired.
    Wow, this post goes back to March! The Big 10 was very interested in Georgia Tech, UNC, and UVa last fall. The Big 10 wanted to expand their television footprint to bring more money for their conference's Big Ten Network. Since the southeast will continue to grow in population, the Big 10 wanted to pluck the top AAU schools from the ACC but were unsuccessful. Since March, the ACC has signed a grant of rights agreement (mid-April 2013) which pretty much keeps the ACC together until the 2026-27 season. The Big 10 has a better chance of adding schools from the Big 12. Kansas, an AAU member, would be one of their choices. The Big 10 would take Texas in a second if they could. Geography and cultural similarities mean little in modern day college realignment. WVU in the Big 12. Missouri in the SEC. The ACC adding 4 northern schools. The Big 10 taking Maryland just to get the DC-Baltimore television market.

Dude, some of those have been AAU for decades.

Quote Originally Posted by mbradleyc View Post

I don't know if I'd say VT would be culturally mismatched with the Big-10. Living in Atlanta I've obviously met a lot of SEC grads, but I've met more than a fair share of of Big-10 grads. Based in my experience with them, I'd say VT has more in common culturally with Big10 schools such as Purdue, Ohio State, and Michigan State than it does with SEC schools. Like VT grads, the Big10 fans take their football seriously, but don't have the fanatical win-at-all costs mentality that seems to infect almost every fan base.

Anyway, if Delaney were smart he would have also tried to take UVa and VT to get to 16. It would have totally locked up the DC market.