Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Uconn getting aau status .. Hmmm vt status ???

This is very interesting ... Wonder what is vt progress?

Has a lot of merit in conference discussions .

http://http://www.the-boneyard.com/threads/ray-dunaway-reports-uconn-to-aau-inside-a-year.35919/

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
    This is very interesting ... Wonder what is vt progress?

Has a lot of merit in conference discussions .

http://http://www.the-boneyard.com/threads/ray-dunaway-reports-uconn-to-aau-inside-a-year.35919/
    After the Big 10 fails in attracting any more ACC schools, UConn may be their last chance for an additional east coast member. UConn is a Land-grant university and AAU status would fit the Big 10's requirements. Then the Big 10 can start raiding the Big 12.

Buffalo and Stony Brook are AAU members. Maybe the Big10 can take them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Line Hokie View Post
    After the Big 10 fails in attracting any more ACC schools, UConn may be their last chance for an additional east coast member. UConn is a Land-grant university and AAU status would fit the Big 10's requirements. Then the Big 10 can start raiding the Big 12.

Aau designation recognizes a UNiveristy as one of the elite in the nation

As measured against their peers.

Sorry vt peers are the major land grants penn st Texas a@m mich st Purdue . Not east carolina southern miss east tenn stste or ODU .

Quote Originally Posted by hokeyhokie View Post
    Buffalo and Stony Brook are AAU members. Maybe the Big10 can take them.

ACC and B1G will go to battle for the last remnants of the BigEast schools ;-)

If the Big 10 add's UConn, we'll know Delaney's ACC gambit has failed.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Line Hokie View Post

AAU membership requirements are somewhat mysterious

All I know is, there doesn't seem to be all that much correlation between USN rankings and AAU membership. There are several schools lower ranked than VT that have AAU membership. Iowa State, Missouri, and SUNY-Buffalo, to name a few. Maybe those schools just have more research dollars. Although Iowa State still baffles me. The land grant school in a largely rural state with less than half the population of Virginia has AAU status and we don't.
    Last edited by I85Hokie; Tue Mar 19 2013 at 09:15 AM. Reason: addendum

Quote Originally Posted by I85Hokie View Post
    All I know is, there doesn't seem to be all that much correlation between USN rankings and AAU membership. There are several schools lower ranked than VT that have AAU membership. Iowa State, Missouri, and SUNY-Buffalo, to name a few. Maybe those schools just have more research dollars. Although Iowa State still baffles me. The land grant school in a largely rural state with less than half the population of Virginia has AAU status and we don't.
    Its not baffling...the AAU was formed in 1900 and most members joined before 1930

Quote Originally Posted by Buy These! View Post
    Its not baffling...the AAU was formed in 1900 and most members joined before 1930
    But schools can lose their membership, no? Nebraska lost theirs, and they are similar to Iowa State academically.

Quote Originally Posted by I85Hokie View Post
    But schools can lose their membership, no? Nebraska lost theirs, and they are similar to Iowa State academically.
    Syracuse was going to lose their AAU status at the same time as Nebraska, but resigned instead. Losing AAU status does happen, just not very often. And yes, many of the current AAU schools are real "head scratchers."
    "You start a conversation you can't even finish it
    You're talkin' a lot, but you're not sayin' anything
    When I have nothing to say, my lips are sealed
    Say something once, why say it again?"
    - David Byrne