Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 12345678913 ... LastLast

Would be nice to know in November, wouldn't it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Will Stewart View Post
    This year it's "How did they do on the road?"

In justifying Middle Tennessee State (with 1 Top 100 win) getting in over, for example, Virginia (8 Top 100 wins), the NCAA selection committee chairman said, "We looked at how they played on the road, and Middle Tennessee State performed very well on the road."

Two other times in the interview, to justify seeding or bubble selection, he mentioned road performance. (Never mind that the RPI takes this into account, probably too strong, IMO.)

As an annual resident of the bubble for four years, I'm sensitive to what the Annual Arbitrary Bubble Elimination Criterium is. Sometimes it's OOC strength of schedule, sometimes it's how you finish (strong/weak), sometimes it's RPI, sometimes it's the color of your uniform, sometimes it's whether your coach can use "certifiably insane" in a sentence ....

This year, it's "road performance". Good to know.
    "That's some catch, that Catch 22!" - Capt. Yossarian

I thought it was cool. Maybe apropos. Is Lance Armstrong on the selection committee?
    Meant to say criterion. Turns out "criterium" is a bicycle race.
    "That's some catch, that Catch 22!" - Capt. Yossarian

In justifying Middle Tennessee State (with 1 Top 100 win) getting in over, for example, Virginia (8 Top 100 wins), the NCAA selection committee chairman said, "We looked at how they played on the road, and Middle Tennessee State performed very well on the road."

Two other times in the interview, to justify seeding or bubble selection, he mentioned road performance. (Never mind that the RPI takes this into account, probably too strong, IMO.)

As an annual resident of the bubble for four years, I'm sensitive to what the Annual Arbitrary Bubble Elimination Criterium is. Sometimes it's OOC strength of schedule, sometimes it's how you finish (strong/weak), sometimes it's RPI, sometimes it's the color of your uniform, sometimes it's whether your coach can use "certifiably insane" in a sentence ....

This year, it's "road performance". Good to know.
    So stupid, UVA's road games are not equal to MTSU/Boise's road games. MTSU/Boise would be hard pressed to beat any BCS school on the road, which the committee does not understand. In the big boy leagues, every road game is tough. Not so much in the Sun Belt.

Repying to OP

All this talk of the arbitrariness of team selection criteria in basketball leads me to ask:

Is there anyone here that argues that the arbitrary last-moment metrics used to select teams for bball is really better than the established system in place for selecting Football teams to participate in the BCS?

Shun
    Last edited by MEHOKIE; Mon Mar 18 2013 at 09:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MEHOKIE View Post
    Is there anyone here that argues that the arbitrary last-moment metrics used to select teams for bball is really better than the established system in place for selecting Football teams to participate in the BCS?
    No, the only thing people complain about the BCS is that a potential "champion" could be left out in the BCS whereas a potential champion is almost never left out in the NCAAT.

This has been my stance on keeping the BCS in place. Usually, there is no debate over who the #1 FB team is each year. The debate is that there are 2, maybe 3, teams with a claim at #2 to play in the Championship Game. Now we have a 4-team playoff. It is my contention that the 2 or 3 teams with a claim at #2 has now expanded to 5 or 6 teams with a claim at #4. Chaos will ensue and the 4-team playoff will expand sooner than most think.

The perfect system, in my mind, is that ALL conference champions get in (11) and we have 5 at-large teams (good luck, ND). Those 16 play for the title. Everyone is included and the better conferences can get more teams in trought the at-large process.

Repying to OP

All this talk of the arbitrariness of team selection criteria in basketball leads me to ask:

Shun
    "Never deny a man the consequences of his actions." - Unknown

It's also worthy to note that MTSU had, count 'em, zero top 100 road wins.

Why not just say that MTSU played #9 non conference schedule or something like that. Who knows, at the bottom it's all ?

The problem with arbitrary criteria will only be worse in the football scenario. The NCAA is one of the most corrupt and hypocritical organizations to ever exist and the only difference between them and the mafia is the NCAA has legal, tax exempt status. The NCAA basketball selection committee is and has been a joke for a very long time and it will remain such until you replace idiots like Ron Wellman with people that actually know basketball. Football is headed in the same direction.
    Repying to OP

Shun

Quote Originally Posted by TomTurkey View Post
    Would be nice to know in November, wouldn't it?
    What exactly would you do differently?

Quote Originally Posted by Nate23VT View Post
    I understand your point, but just wanted to clarify that Oregon and Ole Miss are in because they got auto-bids.
    Yeah, they won the crucial games down the stretch. Most bubble teams didn't.