Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2 articles from South Bend paper on ND to ACC for 2013

There was a discussion a few days ago about how ND really valued the olympic sports aspect of the ACC. you can see how important it was to them by each of the coaches comments. Sounds like a lot of work has been going on behind the scenes and the first 3 year block of football games could be announced soon.

http://www.southbendtribune.com/spor...,3723297.story

http://www.southbendtribune.com/spor...,4087546.story

Could the ND to ACC trigger all the panic, conf realignment(s), & cherrypicking attempts on ACC?.......

Thats my conclusion. Things on the national college front were relatively quiet until that announcement broke a year or so back. If I remember correctly, thats when all the conferences seemed to start looking at themselves---perhaps pannicking. An independent Notre Dame seemed to have some stability to it - its own cash cow entity - and no threat to other schools or conferences. Unfortunately for ND--- they felt like an island in all sports outside of football & bball---even then--- they never could win a conference title on any kind & for olympic sports --nothing to play for. How do you recruit athletes for programs that offer little or no chance of award. It was national title or nothing at all. Furthermore, no one was going to feel sorry for them. They finally got into the struggling schizophrenic BIG EAST --but it has provided little stability, national stature, or anyone feeling sorry or willing to go to bat for them. College sports had stability. Then Notre Dame chooses & allignment. BIG refused ND unless they became full member. ACC accepts ND terms.... ND accepts fball/bball interaction. NOW other conferences worrying about shift of TV monies & the ACC strengthening? Could the ACC eventually turn ND into a full membership? disrupting (perhaps ending) what connection(s)/agreements the ND had with their conference or premier schools (i.e ND vs USC-W, ND-UCLA bball)? With ND fully on board & bringing TV monies---ACC power & prestige certainly would rise. Now- the other conferences in uncharted waters. A power shift could be taking place. I think it triggered the other conferences taking a look at themselves. Being unsure of the effects of the ND-ACC alliance, I believe the other conferences (particularly the BIG 10 that was spurned by ND) decided to make a preeminent destabilizing strike against the ACC by attempting to make a raid its teams.

Quote Originally Posted by VT75 View Post
    There was a discussion a few days ago about how ND really valued the olympic sports aspect of the ACC. you can see how important it was to them by each of the coaches comments. Sounds like a lot of work has been going on behind the scenes and the first 3 year block of football games could be announced soon.

http://www.southbendtribune.com/spor...,3723297.story

http://www.southbendtribune.com/spor...,4087546.story
    i don't think we'll know the opponents for the first 3 years, but i could be wrong. i think what he was referring to was that ND provides home dates and away dates to the ACC to fill, and he's almost got those 15 dates locked down.
    "This no more resembles that than something unlike something else resembles that." - Loosely quoting PHNC

Quote Originally Posted by BUGGZY View Post
    i don't think we'll know the opponents for the first 3 years, but i could be wrong. i think what he was referring to was that ND provides home dates and away dates to the ACC to fill, and he's almost got those 15 dates locked down.
    I thought what was important is ND actively working on the dates. ND supplies the time slots/dates and the ACC then can plug in the teams. The ACC has been great about projecting schedules years in advance. I hthink we will know sooner than later.

Did you notice the A.D. talking about the prospect of future Thursday night games ? You could tell from Swarbrick's comments they didn't like the idea but would concede to do it first as an away game then maybe one (way in the future)in South Bend. I like that the ACC has put them on notice and ND has obviously agreed to compromise on scheduling that will benefit the ACC in general.

Quote Originally Posted by VT75 View Post
    Did you notice the A.D. talking about the prospect of future Thursday night games ? You could tell from Swarbrick's comments they didn't like the idea but would concede to do it first as an away game then maybe one (way in the future)in South Bend. I like that the ACC has put them on notice and ND has obviously agreed to compromise on scheduling that will benefit the ACC in general.
    well, ESPN will determine that, not the ACC or any one ACC school.
    "This no more resembles that than something unlike something else resembles that." - Loosely quoting PHNC

Oh, I bet ND has A LOT of input on who they play and when. They aren't gonna want to do FSU, Clemson, VT in the same season and they aren't gonna want UVA, Duke, or Wake.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckd4vt View Post
    Oh, I bet ND has A LOT of input on who they play and when. They aren't gonna want to do FSU, Clemson, VT in the same season and they aren't gonna want UVA, Duke, or Wake.
    possibly true, but ND AD said last year when asked that they would have no input beyond the home/away dates. i don't think it's in anyone's best interest to load the schedule too much (tough or weak) in one year, so i think the ACC will do a good job of balancing it out. i would guess 3 Atlantic and 2 Coastal (or vice versa) in year 1 with the opposite in year 2. in year 3, an Atlantic school (BC) will get a 2nd game vs ND, and in year 6, a Coastal team (Pitt) will get the extra game. maybe there's a plan to get everyone an extra game by year 42, but i really doubt they are looking that far out...

I firmly believe Tech will be among the last schools to get a game with the Irish, and among the last ACC schools to host the Irish. I never expect any favors from ACC HQ.

possibly true, but ND AD said last year when asked that they would have no input beyond the home/away dates. i don't think it's in anyone's best interest to load the schedule too much (tough or weak) in one year, so i think the ACC will do a good job of balancing it out. i would guess 3 Atlantic and 2 Coastal (or vice versa) in year 1 with the opposite in year 2. in year 3, an Atlantic school (BC) will get a 2nd game vs ND, and in year 6, a Coastal team (Pitt) will get the extra game. maybe there's a plan to get everyone an extra game by year 42, but i really doubt they are looking that far out...

ACC haterrrrr!!!!! :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Atlee Hokie View Post
    I firmly believe Tech will be among the last schools to get a game with the Irish, and among the last ACC schools to host the Irish. I never expect any favors from ACC HQ.

Actually not acc been working some deals

The toughest issue is within the 3 year period vt already has a tremendous ooc teams with Ohio state and Wisconsin.

However anything is possible. Also I have heard through the grape vine that acc would like for nd play vt in Blacksburg before frank retires to celebrate his legacy .

My bet 2016 in Blacksburg

Quote Originally Posted by Stech View Post
    ACC haterrrrr!!!!! :-)