Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910
    Quote Originally Posted by HooLar View Post
    I was in C'Ville this weekend for the basketball game and had dinner Saturday with a group of guys form UVA, Atlanta and UNC. We do this every year before the ACC Tourney to get our plans down. (if the line at Golden Corral gets too long for you boys try First Street Grill, they have a pretty good steak. The conversation got around to conference realignment and was pretty interesting. J. Delany and B1G are making enemies pretty fast. B1G is clearly the agressor in this latest round and have been very proactive. B1G has made their pitch to UVA, UNC, GT and others. UVA and UNC have told them they are committed to the ACC though both would look to B1g if things unraveled. Pretty clean neither wants to bail right now. Pretty clear B1G wants only 1 school per state in their scenairo.

Unhappy ACC Schools: FSU and GT. Both are having money problems but nothing to the extent Maryland was facing. Maryland had their backs to the wall and bailed for what they saw as their only way out. Opinions were divided on the exit fee litigation but no one thought they will ever pay the "whole boat." FSU is not happy about the northern schools coming in and along with GT they have never been happy about the perceived North Carolina influence on the ACC. The problem is where do they go that would be better. Neither is getting into the SEC. Their fan base doesn't want to go B1G. They could go to the BIG12 but would the difference in money be that much coupled with giving up a degree of control? Hoo knows.

I also talked with a guy I worked with a few years ago in the Alabama Athletic Dept. He says the SEC is fine with their 14 teams right now. The SEC does not want the B1G getting their foot print in the South and might be more proactive if that looks like it might happen. He says the Duke chatter is poppycock.

Bottom line is the ACC wants to hang together and weather the storm so to speak. They will re-do the TV contract as they are in a better position with the new additions and ND involvement than before. If the ACC can hold together that's where we will be.

A lot of this stuff is being fanned by so called experts and bloggers who are expressing opinion as fact based on what som "insider" has told them. From reading a lot of this bunk they have no clue as to what is going on and what will go on. No body knows right now. There are just too many factors involved.

Thanks for the info! Appreciate your straight forward posts as always.

Quote Originally Posted by Calamitous View Post
    Culture and tradition may just save the day for the ACC in the end. Other conferences just assume schools like UVa and UNC would be fools not to leave the ACC for them. You'd think Delany would understand UNC better, as he has Tarheel blood. Same with Slive, as he has Hoo roots. UVa and UNC are just keeping their options open as any school should. In the end, I truly feel UVa and UNC want to stay together, but more importantly, want to stay together in the ACC.

They're not moving because they don't have to move. If FSU or Clemson have a panic attack and bail for the Big 12 (or work a minor miracle and worm their way into the SEC), UNC and UVA know they'll land somewhere. If the ACC schools end up at a major competitive disadvantage due to finances, they can revisit their options.

In the meantime, VT needs to go ALL OUT in their revenue sports. Get a forward-thinking AD that's willing to invest in the two programs. Our revenue sports aren't as in good a spot as many of our ACC brethen, which might haunt us should the ACC break up.

Quote Originally Posted by HooLar View Post
    I was in C'Ville this weekend for the basketball game and had dinner Saturday with a group of guys form UVA, Atlanta and UNC. We do this every year before the ACC Tourney to get our plans down. (if the line at Golden Corral gets too long for you boys try First Street Grill, they have a pretty good steak. The conversation got around to conference realignment and was pretty interesting. J. Delany and B1G are making enemies pretty fast. B1G is clearly the agressor in this latest round and have been very proactive. B1G has made their pitch to UVA, UNC, GT and others. UVA and UNC have told them they are committed to the ACC though both would look to B1g if things unraveled. Pretty clean neither wants to bail right now. Pretty clear B1G wants only 1 school per state in their scenairo.

Unhappy ACC Schools: FSU and GT. Both are having money problems but nothing to the extent Maryland was facing. Maryland had their backs to the wall and bailed for what they saw as their only way out. Opinions were divided on the exit fee litigation but no one thought they will ever pay the "whole boat." FSU is not happy about the northern schools coming in and along with GT they have never been happy about the perceived North Carolina influence on the ACC. The problem is where do they go that would be better. Neither is getting into the SEC. Their fan base doesn't want to go B1G. They could go to the BIG12 but would the difference in money be that much coupled with giving up a degree of control? Hoo knows.

I also talked with a guy I worked with a few years ago in the Alabama Athletic Dept. He says the SEC is fine with their 14 teams right now. The SEC does not want the B1G getting their foot print in the South and might be more proactive if that looks like it might happen. He says the Duke chatter is poppycock.

Bottom line is the ACC wants to hang together and weather the storm so to speak. They will re-do the TV contract as they are in a better position with the new additions and ND involvement than before. If the ACC can hold together that's where we will be.

A lot of this stuff is being fanned by so called experts and bloggers who are expressing opinion as fact based on what som "insider" has told them. From reading a lot of this bunk they have no clue as to what is going on and what will go on. No body knows right now. There are just too many factors involved.

This is consistent with what I've seen elsewhere regarding Big Ten overtures. My understanding is that these overtures happened about the same time that Maryland heard the sales pitch. Only Maryland took the bait for now.

The fact that ESPN was able to pick up the Big East on the cheap hopefully frees up some money for ESPN to spend on the ACC in some capacity, perhaps an ACC Network Channel. I had hoped NBC would have picked up the Big East so that they would bid less for Notre Dame next time and ESPN could pick up Notre Dame, but didn't happen.

I've also heard that Florida State really wants to change the Football Divisions to North/South to avoid Syracuse/Boston College like you suggest, but they have to see the parity of how it's done now. If not northern members, who do they suggest gets invited? Can they talk the Gators into coming? I would find that highly unlikely. My understanding is that there is a lot of FSU representation in the Greensboro ACC office involved in most of the moves the ACC is making. Hopefully their dislike of the northern schools is more related to wanting to have the north/south division instead of atlantic/coastal.

We're going to have North Carolina influence on the league. It was founded in North Carolina and 25% of the schools are from North Carolina. It was even higher. The grass isn't greener in the Big XII where Texas dominates or the SEC where Alabama does.

know when to quit

QUOTE=WarHog38;693138]I take that back. He is worse than a phony! His posts have as much validity as the Dude of WV. I think the Dude probably is a better guy.[/QUOTE]