Page 1 of 10 1234567 ... LastLast

Conference Realignment

I was in C'Ville this weekend for the basketball game and had dinner Saturday with a group of guys form UVA, Atlanta and UNC. We do this every year before the ACC Tourney to get our plans down. (if the line at Golden Corral gets too long for you boys try First Street Grill, they have a pretty good steak. The conversation got around to conference realignment and was pretty interesting. J. Delany and B1G are making enemies pretty fast. B1G is clearly the agressor in this latest round and have been very proactive. B1G has made their pitch to UVA, UNC, GT and others. UVA and UNC have told them they are committed to the ACC though both would look to B1g if things unraveled. Pretty clean neither wants to bail right now. Pretty clear B1G wants only 1 school per state in their scenairo.

Unhappy ACC Schools: FSU and GT. Both are having money problems but nothing to the extent Maryland was facing. Maryland had their backs to the wall and bailed for what they saw as their only way out. Opinions were divided on the exit fee litigation but no one thought they will ever pay the "whole boat." FSU is not happy about the northern schools coming in and along with GT they have never been happy about the perceived North Carolina influence on the ACC. The problem is where do they go that would be better. Neither is getting into the SEC. Their fan base doesn't want to go B1G. They could go to the BIG12 but would the difference in money be that much coupled with giving up a degree of control? Hoo knows.

I also talked with a guy I worked with a few years ago in the Alabama Athletic Dept. He says the SEC is fine with their 14 teams right now. The SEC does not want the B1G getting their foot print in the South and might be more proactive if that looks like it might happen. He says the Duke chatter is poppycock.

Bottom line is the ACC wants to hang together and weather the storm so to speak. They will re-do the TV contract as they are in a better position with the new additions and ND involvement than before. If the ACC can hold together that's where we will be.

A lot of this stuff is being fanned by so called experts and bloggers who are expressing opinion as fact based on what som "insider" has told them. From reading a lot of this bunk they have no clue as to what is going on and what will go on. No body knows right now. There are just too many factors involved.

Good info, thanks! Just one question...how connected are your buds? Do they have any "inside" information, or are they just reflecting their friends thoughts?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by HooLar View Post
    I was in C'Ville this weekend for the basketball game and had dinner Saturday with a group of guys form UVA, Atlanta and UNC. We do this every year before the ACC Tourney to get our plans down. (if the line at Golden Corral gets too long for you boys try First Street Grill, they have a pretty good steak. The conversation got around to conference realignment and was pretty interesting. J. Delany and B1G are making enemies pretty fast. B1G is clearly the agressor in this latest round and have been very proactive. B1G has made their pitch to UVA, UNC, GT and others. UVA and UNC have told them they are committed to the ACC though both would look to B1g if things unraveled. Pretty clean neither wants to bail right now. Pretty clear B1G wants only 1 school per state in their scenairo.

Unhappy ACC Schools: FSU and GT. Both are having money problems but nothing to the extent Maryland was facing. Maryland had their backs to the wall and bailed for what they saw as their only way out. Opinions were divided on the exit fee litigation but no one thought they will ever pay the "whole boat." FSU is not happy about the northern schools coming in and along with GT they have never been happy about the perceived North Carolina influence on the ACC. The problem is where do they go that would be better. Neither is getting into the SEC. Their fan base doesn't want to go B1G. They could go to the BIG12 but would the difference in money be that much coupled with giving up a degree of control? Hoo knows.

I also talked with a guy I worked with a few years ago in the Alabama Athletic Dept. He says the SEC is fine with their 14 teams right now. The SEC does not want the B1G getting their foot print in the South and might be more proactive if that looks like it might happen. He says the Duke chatter is poppycock.

Bottom line is the ACC wants to hang together and weather the storm so to speak. They will re-do the TV contract as they are in a better position with the new additions and ND involvement than before. If the ACC can hold together that's where we will be.

A lot of this stuff is being fanned by so called experts and bloggers who are expressing opinion as fact based on what som "insider" has told them. From reading a lot of this bunk they have no clue as to what is going on and what will go on. No body knows right now. There are just too many factors involved.
    "You start a conversation you can't even finish it
    You're talkin' a lot, but you're not sayin' anything
    When I have nothing to say, my lips are sealed
    Say something once, why say it again?"
    - David Byrne

Hmmmm.. Lets just say a couple of guys in that group know what they are talking about.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edgeman View Post
    Good info, thanks! Just one question...how connected are your buds? Do they have any "inside" information, or are they just reflecting their friends thoughts?

Thanks!

Delany's real enemy is demographics.

Good info, thanks for posting.

Forgot to ask...was there anything to the PSU to the ACC stuff being bandied about prior to Maryland's defection? Curious if that subject came up. Anywho, thanks again.

I don't have anything to add, but titling your post 'Conference Realignment' on a board already named 'Conference Realignment' is pretty redundant.

"Upon examination, it was clear that the spine of the PATT wasn't fully formed and, therefore, quite easy to snap." - Charles Darwin, "The Origin of Species"

Yes, this sounds like the voice of reason.

Alabama and VT officials both know about poppycock! We are in good company.

He is saying that every ACC school administration feels the exact same way as your VT administration does. How many times have I read that on this board? I mean his comment is bigger so it must be better? Did anyone at the dinner mention that GOR that no one in the ACC will sign? I mean just end the storm so no one will have to weather it!
    Last edited by WarHog38; Mon Feb 25 2013 at 10:51 AM.

Has anyone at UVA told Delany that they might want to grab a portion of the Boston TV market?