Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tech 3 point defense efficiency

We must be near the bottom of the NCAA statistical rankings on 3 point defense percentage. I know Dook relies heavily on the 3 point shot but it seems every team we play hits a high percentage. Most of it is defense but we can't come close to hitting the open shot the way the opposing teams do against us. Are we unlucky ?

I was thinking something along those lines as well, so I looked it up, surprisingly

in the stat I found, we are actually right in the middle of the country: 177th out of 344. Not sure if the Duke game factors into that or not.

http://www.teamrankings.com/ncaa-bas...hree-point-pct

Quote Originally Posted by 133210Hokie View Post
    We must be near the bottom of the NCAA statistical rankings on 3 point defense percentage. I know Dook relies heavily on the 3 point shot but it seems every team we play hits a high percentage. Most of it is defense but we can't come close to hitting the open shot the way the opposing teams do against us. Are we unlucky ?

On D, nothing to do with luck. As Green said, we're chasing people out on the perimeter, instead of shooting the gaps out at them when they square up to shoot. Green says the coaches tell the players about that, but, come game time, we're still out there chasing people. But it's not just on three pointers. Closer in, we're almost always moving and sliding. We seldom have our feet set, body evenly balanced, not leaning, and ready to take a charge.

It's the difference between being in the process of getting in the way, and already being there in the way. That's the strength of Bennett's packline D, when it works right. It's designed to steer the offense into defenders who are already set and ready.

We're usually chasing, moving, sliding, leaning -- that 'almost there' stuff ain't gonna work against the good ones.

Yeah, but what was it against our OOC schedule, compared to what it's been since we've come down to earth (with a thud). The three pointers aren't our only Problem on D. The three pointers are just the more visible, sensational problem.

it's not bad luck. it's bad defense. i'm gonna go on a little bit of a bad defense bender...

we have terrible screen presence. we go under screens when we should go over the top, we get caught in the screens, and sometimes we are unaware of a screen.

we have poor close out on shooters. usually it's because we are out of position (caught in a screen or just plain chasing someone) and we can't close the distance in time to affect a shooters rhythm. players will make rhythm shots all day. you have to affect their pre shot motion (raising the ball from midchest) and/or the release. we do neither.

in general, we are always a step behind. it results in open shots, a player blowing by us on the dribble, and reaching fouls.

to me, this is on the players. you can't convince me that JJ isn't telling the players the same thing. they have to execute better. plain and simple. even if we don't have athletes, hustle and awareness can make up for a lot of deficiencies on defense.

out.
    It's not that you are ignorant, it's just that you know so much that isn't so.

Yep. Agree. We're saying the same thing. *But* -- I don't let the coaches off scot free.

What exactly is JJ's basic defensive system? If it's man-to-man, then what are the variations? Can we shift to zone? What kind of zone (yes, there's more then one), and with what variations? Do we practice zone or other defensive variations. I've seen a few practices and I've seen precious little of that. Do we have zone traps? Do we practice them regularly.

To give an example, Larranaga is a decent defensive coach. He teaches zone variations to go with his regular system. I watched him practice them at Mason. He also has that crazy Larranaga scramble (he has some name for it), that can catch the opponent off-guard, even if you can't keep it up forever. He also has some great zone trap plays. One of the Miami players gave Larranaga the credit for beating NCST by calling those trap plays with about 2:30 to go and Miami a few points behind. There were fouls, of course, but NCST missed the
    foul shots and Miami squeaked by.

Good coaching can make a difference on D, including just by installing a system that players can learn and execute well after a while, which is what Boeheim's done for ages and Bennett's done in our area. What's our D system?
    Last edited by nova1111; Fri Feb 22 2013 at 10:17 AM.

Nothing to do with luck. We have poor defensive fundamentals, strategy, and personnel.

Quote Originally Posted by nova1111 View Post
    *But* -- I don't let the coaches off scot free.
    all of what you said is fine and dandy, but we can't even execute basic man-man. don't misunderstand, all of the tweaks and adjustments are important and they separate great defenses from good ones. the problem i see is that we have a very very low chance of being successful with adding complexity. if we were a decent man-man defense, i'd say go for it. these players and coaches - to an extent - need to hone their craft before taking the next step. last night was one of the worst defensive performances that my eyes have ever beheld.
    It's not that you are ignorant, it's just that you know so much that isn't so.

If you're saying our coaches can't teach a basic system, then we do have a problem

Quote Originally Posted by vthokiedsp View Post
    all of what you said is fine and dandy, but we can't even execute basic man-man. don't misunderstand, all of the tweaks and adjustments are important and they separate great defenses from good ones. the problem i see is that we have a very very low chance of being successful with adding complexity. if we were a decent man-man defense, i'd say go for it. these players and coaches - to an extent - need to hone their craft before taking the next step. last night was one of the worst defensive performances that my eyes have ever beheld.
    nm

Quote Originally Posted by nova1111 View Post
    Yeah, but what was it against our OOC schedule, compared to what it's been since we've come down to earth (with a thud). The three pointers aren't our only Problem on D. The three pointers are just the more visible, sensational problem.
    we're 9th in 3-pt % defense in conference games (we have given up the most total 3-pointers though)