Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

VT could get in SEC any time they wanted to. But then that is the issue isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by hokiekev 2k4 View Post
    Good news, IMO... exactly what VT needs to get into the SEC.

Quote Originally Posted by I85Hokie View Post
    Mizzou. They've never been shy about their desire to be in the Big 10, and they'd even abandon the mighty SEC for it. I don't think the SEC has an exit fee, and the Big 10 might want to add a Midwestern school to appease their Midwestern members.
    What I am hearing is the Big Ten will invite UVA, UNC, and GT to join the conference. If all accept then that increases the members to 17. Also, it looks like Johns Hopkins will be joining as a lacrosse member only (for now since the Bluejays play in DIII for all other sports). It looks like the Big Ten ultimately wants to expand to either 18 or 20 members which could put several schools into play. If I had to take a guess then I would say Duke, Syracuse, Clemson, or FSU seem to be the most logical for the 18th, 19th, and 20th spots.

Why is VT jet enroute to Chicago Midway?

Chicago is location of Big 10 offices. N180FW is VT jet currently in use.

Quote Originally Posted by tcc_dc View Post
    Same sources that broke MD to the Big 10, are now reporting that UVa very likely to the Big 10 by the end of the NCAA Tourney...

They have been consistently right, so I hope we have a seat at the SEC or Big 10 table, because being left behind in the weakened ACC is a nightmare.

Same sources that broke MD to the Big 10, are now reporting that UVa very likely to the Big 10 by the end of the NCAA Tourney...

They have been consistently right, so I hope we have a seat at the SEC or Big 10 table, because being left behind in the weakened ACC is a nightmare.
    If there is any truth to this blog, at least UVa will have to be much transparent than Maryland "if" they decide to leave the ACC. No one knew about Maryland going to the Big 10 until 3 days of acceptance. I think UVa will tell the ACC at least a few weeks before they leave since they agreed with all the ACC schools to inform ahead of time if they intended to leave. That would give Swofford and the ACC time to counter offer and at least give the parting school more time to reconsider. Maryland did not allow dialogue between them and the ACC when making their decision. I know the Big 10 has a confidentiality clause but so does the ACC after being blindsided by Maryland. All 15 members agreed on it after Louisville was accepted.

With that said, UVa and UNC along with the other 3 Tobacco Road schools are the heart of the ACC. Those 5 schools are the most identifiable ACC schools. Maryland always felt like an outsider even though they were an original member. I heard that mentioned by Terp fans the past 26 years that I've lived in Maryland. Seeing UVa, UNC, and Duke joining the Big 10 is possible but still very unlikley IMHO, especially with the new ESPN contract increasing in value with the addition of Notre Dame and the good possibility of an ACC network to rival both the Big 10 and SEC in television revenue. I can't see either UVa or UNC jumping ship unless an ACC network plans fall apart and they know for a fact that the BTN will bring them $20 million more in revenue per year than the ACC. Even then, would UNC give up their ACC catbird seat for the Big 10 thickets? Would a school with UVa's wealth leave a conference that they have been a loyal member for 60 years just to make an extra $20 million per year? UVa doesn't have the same problems that Maryland had. UVa's athletic department is doing well. Maryland's was in shambles.

In this world of rumors. This appears to be one of the comparative stronger ones.

What I even notice more these days. We no longer have those strong rebukes of the past. Those denials from the involved administrators alleging the spinning of sheer lunacy.

I know this much to relate to all my Hokie fan friends. If UVA goes to the B1G? VT can do as they choose as far as attempts to be included in that B1G deal. Beg, Borrow or Steal? However if VT is left sitting in the ACC? That will be the time for VT to head to the SEC as if it's a$$ was on fire!

Quote Originally Posted by WarHog38 View Post

I know this much to relate to all my Hokie fan friends. If UVA goes to the B1G? VT can do as they choose as far as attempts to be included in that B1G deal. Beg, Borrow or Steal? However if VT is left sitting in the ACC? That will be the time for VT to head to the SEC as if it's a$$ was on fire!
    If the Hoos & Heels jump, we'll definitely find out if the SEC really does actually want to add VT as a member. Keep hearing, it, but they passed the last time we wanted to get out of a conference really bad... We shall see.
    "You start a conversation you can't even finish it
    You're talkin' a lot, but you're not sayin' anything
    When I have nothing to say, my lips are sealed
    Say something once, why say it again?"
    - David Byrne

Quote Originally Posted by I85Hokie View Post
    Mizzou. They've never been shy about their desire to be in the Big 10, and they'd even abandon the mighty SEC for it. I don't think the SEC has an exit fee, and the Big 10 might want to add a Midwestern school to appease their Midwestern members.
    Except the B1G has repeatedly rejected Mizzou's overtures through the years. Not saying it couldn't happen, but what would make Mizzou suddenly more appealing? BTW, NC has a larger population than MO -- so the BTN model would put a higher premium on another ACC member than on anybody from the SEC not named "Florida" or "A&M".

Cool, but how do you know that? Also, hope we don't end up in B1G.

Quote Originally Posted by East Cobb Hokie View Post
    Chicago is location of Big 10 offices. N180FW is VT jet currently in use.

If they go, how many years will they continue to suck in football?

Quote Originally Posted by VTHokie2000 View Post
    What I am hearing is the Big Ten will invite UVA, UNC, and GT to join the conference. If all accept then that increases the members to 17. Also, it looks like Johns Hopkins will be joining as a lacrosse member only (for now since the Bluejays play in DIII for all other sports). It looks like the Big Ten ultimately wants to expand to either 18 or 20 members which could put several schools into play. If I had to take a guess then I would say Duke, Syracuse, Clemson, or FSU seem to be the most logical for the 18th, 19th, and 20th spots.
    Nice theory. Unfortunately, the B1G doesn't currently sponsor lacrosse. The idea of adding a school in a market you already "own" (courtesy of UMd) solely for a sport you don't sponsor is ... interesting.