Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by East Cobb Hokie View Post
    Post of the year so far re Conference Realignment.
    The year is still young.
    Granted there are some moves the SEC could/may make that would harm the ACC. However, the purpose of those moves would be to improve, financially and otherwise, the SEC. Any harm to the ACC would just be unintended consequences. IMO, the idea that the SEC is drooling to annex schools like VT, UNC, Duke or whatever the flavor of the week ...is just ridiculous.
    Frankly, I see VT and UVA more likely to the BIG, than to the SEC. VT admin are working hard to get Tech up to AAU standards, although I am not sure AAU membership would be absolutely required for a move.

More reason than ever to schedule big out of conference games at home. We should be playing at least 2 BCS teams home and home every season and zero Division 1 or Championship Subdivision - whatever you call it - teams every year.

Quote Originally Posted by 133193Hokie View Post
    Yep. And its a problem for VT as well. No matter how good VT is or may be, after a while you get very tired of watching VT against WF, Duke, MD, etc, and our usual weak OOC opponents. As I posted the other day, VT has 1-2 decent home games a year that are worth driving down the Blacksburg to watch in person.

Quote Originally Posted by seekoHoG View Post
    The year is still young.
    Granted there are some moves the SEC could/may make that would harm the ACC. However, the purpose of those moves would be to improve, financially and otherwise, the SEC. Any harm to the ACC would just be unintended consequences. IMO, the idea that the SEC is drooling to annex schools like VT, UNC, Duke or whatever the flavor of the week ...is just ridiculous.
    Frankly, I see VT and UVA more likely to the BIG, than to the SEC. VT admin are working hard to get Tech up to AAU standards, although I am not sure AAU membership would be absolutely required for a move.
    Inviting both Tech and UVa to join the Big 10 may be Jim Delany's best shot at expanding into Virginia. I'm sure both schools would seriously consider going together. That move would keep the SEC and ACC out of Virginia and solidify the DC market. That would get the Big 10 to 16 members. I don't know how much the departure of Tech, UVa, and Maryland would have on other ACC school's plans. If "20" is the end number, then I could see UNC, Duke, Georgia Tech, Notre Dame and/or Syracuse making it 20.

IMHO Tech would be very interested in the Big 10's CIC and AAU sponsorship. I could see Tech as an AAU member within 10 years of Big 10 membership. I think this only happens if "20" becomes the magic number. If "16" is the magic number, then it will be much harder for Tech to get into the Big 10 than UVa, UNC, Duke, GT, and Notre Dame. I also think "16" makes it more difficult for the Big 10 and SEC to raid the ACC. Just based on "rumors," UVa and GA Tech appear to be the 2 schools Jim Delany is most interested in.

Clay Travis is good but has a clear pro-SEC agenda. He will twist any and every fact to make the SEC look goid. He especially has it out for Texas, ND, and the B1G. Probably because they are threats to SEC dominance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Will Stewart View Post
    Couple of comments:

Only because TAMU (#11 by Rivals) signed 31 players, and Texas (#23) only signed 15. Neither one signed a single 5-star player, and the split of 4-stars to 3-stars actually favors Texas. Average star ranking: Texas: 3.6, TAMU: 3.45.

Now, I don't know how they did head-to-head. Maybe that's what he's talking about.

Yowza, he's not kidding. You think VT's home schedule is bad?

Aug. 31 NEW MEXICO STATE
    Sept. 7 at BYU
    Sept. 14 MISSISSIPPI
    Sept. 21 K-STATE
    Oct. 3 or 5 at Iowa State
    Oct. 12 Oklahoma (Dallas)
    Oct. 26 at TCU
    Nov. 2 KANSAS
    Nov. 9 at West Virginia
    Nov. 16 OKLAHOMA STATE
    Nov. 28 TEXAS TECH
    Dec. 7 at Baylor

Quote Originally Posted by 133193Hokie View Post
    Couple of points:
    (1) aTm made a GREAT move by joining the SEC. If they had stayed in the Big12 they would have ALWAYS been UT's red headed step child and by moving to the SEC they got out of the shadow of UT.
    (2) All is not that bleak for UT. If they make the right hire after Mac Brown they are right back at the top. UT is one of those few programs (Ala, USC, Mich, Ohio St) that even if they have a few tough years they can bounce back VERY quickly.
    (3) The SEC and Big12 may not be in lock step. The only reason why the SEC is "propping up" the Big12 is to harm the ACC. The SEC wants some ACC properties and that is only going to happen if the ACC fails. So the SEC, knowing that probably only one of the ACC and Big12 will be a part of the bg4 conferences, they are trying to stabilize the Big12. There is no love between the SEC and the Big12, but they are willing to work together for now.
    In summary, this^^.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Line Hokie View Post
    Inviting both Tech and UVa to join the Big 10 may be Jim Delany's best shot at expanding into Virginia. I'm sure both schools would seriously consider going together. That move would keep the SEC and ACC out of Virginia and solidify the DC market. That would get the Big 10 to 16 members. I don't know how much the departure of Tech, UVa, and Maryland would have on other ACC school's plans. If "20" is the end number, then I could see UNC, Duke, Georgia Tech, Notre Dame and/or Syracuse making it 20.

IMHO Tech would be very interested in the Big 10's CIC and AAU sponsorship. I could see Tech as an AAU member within 10 years of Big 10 membership. I think this only happens if "20" becomes the magic number. If "16" is the magic number, then it will be much harder for Tech to get into the Big 10 than UVa, UNC, Duke, GT, and Notre Dame. I also think "16" makes it more difficult for the Big 10 and SEC to raid the ACC. Just based on "rumors," UVa and GA Tech appear to be the 2 schools Jim Delany is most interested in.
    Well Maryland now makes Virginia an adjacent state, so that lets in UVA and/or Tech. Would need a North Carolina school to make Georgia adjacent. Adjacency currently a requirement for B1G membership.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Stewart View Post
    Couple of comments:

Only because TAMU (#11 by Rivals) signed 31 players, and Texas (#23) only signed 15. Neither one signed a single 5-star player, and the split of 4-stars to 3-stars actually favors Texas. Average star ranking: Texas: 3.6, TAMU: 3.45.
    Full disclosure: I'm an Aggie. Regarding the recruiting performance, A&M did do significantly better than UT this year. A&M did well head-to-head, including signing two players that had been committed to the Longhorns: Ricky Seals-Jones and Daeshon Hall. RSJ, btw, is a 5 star on both Scout and 24/7. In fact, part of why UT's class is so small is because they couldn't find enough recruits they wanted to fill it. What really stood out is that UT got all but one of their 4 stars before the season. UT wasn't just losing recruits to A&M, but they also lost some to Baylor and TCU. That didn't happen in the past. So part of it is A&M winning in the SEC, and part of it is UT in a slump, including getting blown out by OU again.

As for Clay Travis, he is an SEC homer, and he does like to tweak UT as much as he can. But his posts to other SEC fans indicates he does genuinely believe that A&M will become a power in the SEC.

btw, y'all have a nice site here; glad I found it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirthomatic View Post
    Full disclosure: I'm an Aggie. Regarding the recruiting performance, A&M did do significantly better than UT this year. A&M did well head-to-head, including signing two players that had been committed to the Longhorns: Ricky Seals-Jones and Daeshon Hall. RSJ, btw, is a 5 star on both Scout and 24/7. In fact, part of why UT's class is so small is because they couldn't find enough recruits they wanted to fill it. What really stood out is that UT got all but one of their 4 stars before the season. UT wasn't just losing recruits to A&M, but they also lost some to Baylor and TCU. That didn't happen in the past. So part of it is A&M winning in the SEC, and part of it is UT in a slump, including getting blown out by OU again.

As for Clay Travis, he is an SEC homer, and he does like to tweak UT as much as he can. But his posts to other SEC fans indicates he does genuinely believe that A&M will become a power in the SEC.

btw, y'all have a nice site here; glad I found it.
    Aggies always welcome here. very happy to see your school break away from the tu shadow to forge your own path.

just going along with Stech's post (since he hasn't technically been wrong about anything on the subject that i'm aware of yet), if tu were to work a deal with the ACC, do you think they would come alone, or would they want to bring OU or another TX school with them? i think rebranding the LHN as the ACCN would make a lot of sense for ESPN, but i don't see it happening. i just don't see tu admitting "defeat" on the LHN anytime soon. ami wrong?
    "This no more resembles that than something unlike something else resembles that." - Loosely quoting PHNC

Quote Originally Posted by seekoHoG View Post
    The year is still young.
    Disagree a bit. They REALLY do want into NC and Va. And UNC, UVA, and VT all offer the SEC entire srates worth of cable owners, great sports programs, and very good schools. The SEC would be crazy not to move into VA and NC with teams 15 & 16. Look at a map. What does the SEC lack to truly be the Southeastern conference?

Buggzy,

As far as I can tell, the LHN is a point of contention among the Longhorn faithful. UT AD Deloss Dodds sees it as part of his legacy, and will fight to keep it. But some Longhorn boosters, including some powerful ones, see it as the reason A&M left for the SEC. The fact that so far it's had so much trouble securing carriage agreements has left a lot of horns feeling it was all for nothing. If the B12 were still intact, I think the horns would have more patience with it, but as things stand, and especially if A&M has more success in the SEC, I think pressure will build to scrap it. If UT feels they need to be in a better conference for competitive reasons, the Big Money Horns aren't going to let the LHN stand in the way.

If UT does decide to blow up the B12, I think the most likely scenario has them moving w/ three schools: OU (with whom they actually want to stick), OSU (with whom OU is stuck), and one of TTech or Baylor (to round out what would be a Texoma pod). I think TTech would have the edge, being a major state school.

I think the question is whether UT wants to go to the ACC or the PAC. UT tried already tried leading a contingent of B12-ers to the PAC in 2010, before A&M scuttled the deal by refusing to go. So there's some history there. But now that A&M is in the SEC, UT may be leery of joining a conference located primarily in the Pacific time zone.