Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

This section of the article, to me, reflects what a lot of us pro-VT to the SEC people have been saying:

"Recruits don't come to Texas because the athletic department has great facilities or because their games are on a special network, they come because they want to play in games that matter, in front of large national television audiences. Other than the Oklahoma game Dodds might as well be pitching horseshoes in an empty stadium. Dodds forgot the cardinal lesson of athletics, you're only as strong as your weakest link. And the Big 12 is mostly made up of weak links right now. That failure is all the more amazing because all he had to do was look to the NFL. The NFL brand is so valuable because all 32 teams have strength, each game has value, any team can win.

Texas A&M saw that the SEC was recreating the NFL and jumped on board, Dodds was so arrogant he tried to build his own football network and went it alone.

But one-way football dominance doesn't work, you have to have rivals, games that people care about watching."

Couple of comments:

" ... crushed Texas in 2013 recruiting ..."
    Only because TAMU (#11 by Rivals) signed 31 players, and Texas (#23) only signed 15. Neither one signed a single 5-star player, and the split of 4-stars to 3-stars actually favors Texas. Average star ranking: Texas: 3.6, TAMU: 3.45.

Now, I don't know how they did head-to-head. Maybe that's what he's talking about.

Look at Texas's 2013 football schedule. Holy hell, that's a lot of bad football games.
    Yowza, he's not kidding. You think VT's home schedule is bad?

Aug. 31 NEW MEXICO STATE
    Sept. 7 at BYU
    Sept. 14 MISSISSIPPI
    Sept. 21 K-STATE
    Oct. 3 or 5 at Iowa State
    Oct. 12 Oklahoma (Dallas)
    Oct. 26 at TCU
    Nov. 2 KANSAS
    Nov. 9 at West Virginia
    Nov. 16 OKLAHOMA STATE
    Nov. 28 TEXAS TECH
    Dec. 7 at Baylor
    Always use "Reply With Quote", so everyone knows to whom you're responding.

Quote Originally Posted by 133193Hokie View Post
    This section of the article, to me, reflects what a lot of us pro-VT to the SEC people have been saying:

"Recruits don't come to Texas because the athletic department has great facilities or because their games are on a special network, they come because they want to play in games that matter, in front of large national television audiences. Other than the Oklahoma game Dodds might as well be pitching horseshoes in an empty stadium. Dodds forgot the cardinal lesson of athletics, you're only as strong as your weakest link. And the Big 12 is mostly made up of weak links right now. That failure is all the more amazing because all he had to do was look to the NFL. The NFL brand is so valuable because all 32 teams have strength, each game has value, any team can win.

Texas A&M saw that the SEC was recreating the NFL and jumped on board, Dodds was so arrogant he tried to build his own football network and went it alone.

But one-way football dominance doesn't work, you have to have rivals, games that people care about watching."
    The bolded part is a huge problem for the ACC.

Yep. And its a problem for VT as well. No matter how good VT is or may be, after a while you get very tired of watching VT against WF, Duke, MD, etc, and our usual weak OOC opponents. As I posted the other day, VT has 1-2 decent home games a year that are worth driving down the Blacksburg to watch in person.

Post of the year so far re Conference Realignment.

Quote Originally Posted by 133193Hokie View Post
    Couple of points:
    (1) aTm made a GREAT move by joining the SEC. If they had stayed in the Big12 they would have ALWAYS been UT's red headed step child and by moving to the SEC they got out of the shadow of UT.
    (2) All is not that bleak for UT. If they make the right hire after Mac Brown they are right back at the top. UT is one of those few programs (Ala, USC, Mich, Ohio St) that even if they have a few tough years they can bounce back VERY quickly.
    (3) The SEC and Big12 may not be in lock step. The only reason why the SEC is "propping up" the Big12 is to harm the ACC. The SEC wants some ACC properties and that is only going to happen if the ACC fails. So the SEC, knowing that probably only one of the ACC and Big12 will be a part of the bg4 conferences, they are trying to stabilize the Big12. There is no love between the SEC and the Big12, but they are willing to work together for now.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Stewart View Post

Aug. 31 NEW MEXICO STATE
    Sept. 7 at BYU
    Sept. 14 MISSISSIPPI
    Sept. 21 K-STATE
    Oct. 26 at TCU
    Nov. 2 KANSAS
    Nov. 9 at West Virginia
    Nov. 16 OKLAHOMA STATE
    Nov. 28 TEXAS TECH
    Dec. 7 at Baylor
    Yes, I think VT's home schedule is worse.

Quote Originally Posted by GreatSmokieHokie View Post
    agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by GreatSmokieHokie View Post
    Agreed

Quote Originally Posted by Will Stewart View Post
    Couple of comments:

Only because TAMU (#11 by Rivals) signed 31 players, and Texas (#23) only signed 15. Neither one signed a single 5-star player, and the split of 4-stars to 3-stars actually favors Texas. Average star ranking: Texas: 3.6, TAMU: 3.45.

Now, I don't know how they did head-to-head. Maybe that's what he's talking about.

Aug. 31 NEW MEXICO STATE
    Sept. 7 at BYU
    Sept. 14 MISSISSIPPI
    Sept. 21 K-STATE
    Oct. 26 at TCU
    Nov. 2 KANSAS
    Nov. 9 at West Virginia
    Nov. 16 OKLAHOMA STATE
    Nov. 28 TEXAS TECH
    Dec. 7 at Baylor
    Still think ours is worse.
    I'm guessing at least 2 of KS,OSU, or TT will be ranked when they play them this year. UNC is the only home game we have against a likely top 25 IMHO. Further I'd guess their ranking will be higher than and ACC home game of ours. Of course their in conference away schedule blows ours away, the only reason we'd be in the same ball park SOS wise would be the opening game against Bama

So Texas might come to the ACC and the LHN becomes the ACC network. What are the reomote chances. Here is what might happen:

UT to ACC along with TCU and WVU
    Kansas, KSU and ISU to BIG
    Oklahoma and OSU to the SEC
    TT, Baylor, to MWC

Quote Originally Posted by Stech View Post
    Texas has had serious discussions over the last two years with the ACC, PAC and B1G...this is public knowledge. They also have not been a fan of expansion in the Big 12. Everyone talks about the GOR's but if Texas goes the other top schools will hit the door so fast it will make your head spin and the GOR's will carry no wait.

I am just guessing on Texas where as I heard 10 years ago about ND and the ACC, but it would not surprise me if they like the Dallas Cowboys want to be in the NFC East if you get my drift and would want to be in the same conference with another huge athletic and academic brand name that I previously mentioned in this post.