Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678913 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 151
  1. #21

    Join Date
    November 28, 1999
    Posts
    1,700
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamburger View Post
    Did you say nobody? Could you explain why Donte Clark is coming here? Thank you.
    Sorry, its going to take more than 1 four star recruit per year to pull this program up to respectability. We need a class of high caliber recruits, not one.

  2. #22

    Join Date
    January 27, 2001
    Posts
    1,806
    Quote Originally Posted by soflahokie View Post
    Last year the core was Green, Davila, Hudson, and Finney Smith... I wouldn't say it's the same team.
    Green, Eddie, Raines, Brown, Hudson, and Finney-Smith were the core over the second half of the season last year. Davila started ahead of Raines until he was shut down, but Raines was a much more effective player (in my opinion). Rankin and Barksdale were also contributors last year. So yes, we lost Hudson (who struggled last year) and Finney-Smith (he would help us this year), but we have a lot of the same core returning. I agree that saying it's the "same" core, as I originally said, is overstating it, just as excluding guys like Raines, Eddie, and Brown from that core overstates the attrition.

  3. #23

    Join Date
    October 23, 1999
    Location
    Blacksburg
    Posts
    15,948
    Quote Originally Posted by HargraveHokie View Post
    EG didnt start talking about transferring until SG was fired. At that point EG wanted to see what kind of system the new coach would run before deciding to return. A big part of JJ being hired was to keep EG in the house, & to keep Harrell & Wood committed.
    Green was leaving before SG was fired. One source has a TSLGuru tag....

    The other would have a tag, but he doesnt post much on the boards anymore, preferring to spend more time with his family. Both know Green and one of them was trying to talk EG into staying his senior year. I was told this BEFORE Seth was fired. Finney-Smith was a goner period...Moma wasnt happy. Harrell and Wood were both pretty much gone too.....before the firing. Just because EG took the high road after the firing, doesnt mean that HokieWasp was wrong...or my sources.

    Seth had to go. Wish JW had fired him sooner, but it is what it is.

  4. #24

    Join Date
    August 08, 2003
    Posts
    11,332
    yeah that new multi million dollar practice facility is "doing nothing"
    Quote Originally Posted by Gobbler-100 View Post
    With respect to men's and women's basketball, VT is categorically doing nothing. I don't blame the coaches or players for that.

  5. #25

    Join Date
    October 08, 1999
    Location
    Elkridge MD
    Posts
    21,003
    Quote Originally Posted by hokiewasp View Post
    We were lucky to get JJ to come back--he left for a reason. To deny the condition the program had deteriorated to under Greenberg is not being realistic. VT's problem is a lack of players!
    Until we get a full allotment of scholarship players then what you see is what you get. To come on here and blame Weaver or Steger for the problem Greenberg created is being blind to the facts. How freaking bad would this team be this year without Green? Guess what if Greenberg would have stayed then Green was gone! JJ needs some time to clean up -to call for his head now is irresponsible!
    Great. Now we not only supposed to swallow that Greenberg is the "reason" that DFS & Harrell aren't here -- even though we fired him AND THEN they left. Now becuase a few people say so, we are supposed to believe that Green was going to be gone if we hadn't fired Greenberg.

    As for the "program deteriorating" under Greenberg -- we had a really bad year last year. Very disappointing. One bad year doesn't mean a program has deteriorated, I can only hope that JJ can have 6 seasons of 7-9 or better in the ACC in an 8 year period like Greenberg did.

    Obviously he was losing assistants and alienating people in the Athletic Department so Greenberg had to go. But let's not make that a built in excuse for a crappy performance from this year's team, where guys like Brown and Eddie are performing WORSE than they did last year despite being a year older. It sucks having only 7 scholarship players, just like it sucked having players die of cancer, get rare heart diseases, suffer multiple ACL tears, lose family members, etc. Every team has issues and burdens to deal with. Let's not try to blame everything wrong with this team on someone who has been gone since April.

    For the record, I don't want to fire JJ. I have said on here and on the subscriber board that I feel it is ridiculous to hire a college coach and not give hime at least 3 or 4 years to get his own players and system in there and make his imprint on the team, barring something like getting arrested. But I don't think the coach should be immune from criticism either.
    SteveA

  6. #26

    Join Date
    January 05, 2001
    Posts
    6,346
    The solution isn't a full allotment of players. The solution is a starting 5 of players that can compete in the ACC. Let's see how long it takes JJ to accomplish that. I'm not holding my breath.

    Quote Originally Posted by hokiewasp View Post
    We were lucky to get JJ to come back--he left for a reason. To deny the condition the program had deteriorated to under Greenberg is not being realistic. VT's problem is a lack of players!
    Until we get a full allotment of scholarship players then what you see is what you get. To come on here and blame Weaver or Steger for the problem Greenberg created is being blind to the facts. How freaking bad would this team be this year without Green? Guess what if Greenberg would have stayed then Green was gone! JJ needs some time to clean up -to call for his head now is irresponsible!

  7. #27

    Join Date
    January 27, 2001
    Posts
    1,806
    Quote Originally Posted by hokiewasp View Post
    We were lucky to get JJ to come back--he left for a reason. To deny the condition the program had deteriorated to under Greenberg is not being realistic. VT's problem is a lack of players!
    Until we get a full allotment of scholarship players then what you see is what you get. To come on here and blame Weaver or Steger for the problem Greenberg created is being blind to the facts. How freaking bad would this team be this year without Green? Guess what if Greenberg would have stayed then Green was gone! JJ needs some time to clean up -to call for his head now is irresponsible!
    Just curious, and I don't have the statistics on this, but how many assistant coaches stay at the same school for more than 5 or so years when they've been getting paid less than similar assistants at other peer schools? Aside from the powerhouse schools that can be a springboard to head coaching jobs, it doesn't seem like something that's common. As far as who would have been here and who would have been gone if Greenberg stayed, that's all pure speculation. At least publicly, Green seemed surprised and disappointed with the firing and indicated that he would have to consider transferring as a result. Perhaps he had other intentions, but that's all speculation at this point.

  8. #28

    Join Date
    November 28, 1999
    Posts
    1,700
    Quote Originally Posted by hokiewasp View Post
    We were lucky to get JJ to come back--he left for a reason. To deny the condition the program had deteriorated to under Greenberg is not being realistic. VT's problem is a lack of players!
    Until we get a full allotment of scholarship players then what you see is what you get. To come on here and blame Weaver or Steger for the problem Greenberg created is being blind to the facts. How freaking bad would this team be this year without Green? Guess what if Greenberg would have stayed then Green was gone! JJ needs some time to clean up -to call for his head now is irresponsible!
    Uh, this thread was about Weaver's head, not JJ's.

  9. #29

    Join Date
    August 08, 2003
    Posts
    11,332
    then you are saying we agree--basically we both are not in favor of firing a guy w/o giving him 3 to 4 years and it is fair to criticize the coach. Criticize JJ all you want but at least give him a level playing field. He is totally understaffed with players. If we get a full allottment of scholarship players and they do not perform then so be it.
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveInBaltimore View Post
    Great. Now we not only supposed to swallow that Greenberg is the "reason" that DFS & Harrell aren't here -- even though we fired him AND THEN they left. Now becuase a few people say so, we are supposed to believe that Green was going to be gone if we hadn't fired Greenberg.

    As for the "program deteriorating" under Greenberg -- we had a really bad year last year. Very disappointing. One bad year doesn't mean a program has deteriorated, I can only hope that JJ can have 6 seasons of 7-9 or better in the ACC in an 8 year period like Greenberg did.

    Obviously he was losing assistants and alienating people in the Athletic Department so Greenberg had to go. But let's not make that a built in excuse for a crappy performance from this year's team, where guys like Brown and Eddie are performing WORSE than they did last year despite being a year older. It sucks having only 7 scholarship players, just like it sucked having players die of cancer, get rare heart diseases, suffer multiple ACL tears, lose family members, etc. Every team has issues and burdens to deal with. Let's not try to blame everything wrong with this team on someone who has been gone since April.

    For the record, I don't want to fire JJ. I have said on here and on the subscriber board that I feel it is ridiculous to hire a college coach and not give hime at least 3 or 4 years to get his own players and system in there and make his imprint on the team, barring something like getting arrested. But I don't think the coach should be immune from criticism either.

  10. #30

    Join Date
    October 07, 1999
    Posts
    1,148
    That's the only $ spent on basketball in over 20 years!!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •