Page 1 of 16 123456711 ... LastLast

What would it take to get a new AD and get busy turning this thing around?

Reading most of the posts on this board it appears that the vast majority know we need to get rid of Weaver so we can get a fresh start. I agree. So, what's the problem that Steger won't take action? The program is already a complete embarrassment, what's left to convince him to stop the bleeding? Could it be he's just waiting for the end of this miserable season to announce a new AD or is he going to actually let Weaver hang around and do nothing until 2015?

Quote Originally Posted by NC Hoke View Post
    Reading most of the posts on this board it appears that the vast majority know we need to get rid of Weaver so we can get a fresh start. I agree. So, what's the problem that Steger won't take action? The program is already a complete embarrassment, what's left to convince him to stop the bleeding? Could it be he's just waiting for the end of this miserable season to announce a new AD or is he going to actually let Weaver hang around and do nothing until 2015?
    The most terrifying thing about this is that it seems likely that Steger is happy with Weaver's handling of the AD. We don't get in trouble with the NCAA. We don't lose money. He's probably tickled to death. I don't think "being competent at basketball" ranks in the top 10,000 things that Steger cares about.

Which I guess I understand, but it still really bums me out.

Maybe he can fire him right after the season over a Hokie burger ...

Kind of SG him.
    "That's some catch, that Catch 22!" - Capt. Yossarian

Quote Originally Posted by TomTurkey View Post
    Kind of SG him.
    Works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Gobbler-100 View Post
    I don't think "being competent at basketball" ranks in the top 10,000 things that Steger cares about.
    Then why did he want to be in the ACC? I understand if he doesn't care about basketball. Not everybody cares about basketball. But I don't understand if he's happy for his school to be the butt of everybody's jokes.

If you are going to be a part of the nation's strongest conference you need to at least appear to want to try to compete. Doing absolutely nothing about this mess on the floor we have now would seem to contradict that.

Then why did he want to be in the ACC? I understand if he doesn't care about basketball. Not everybody cares about basketball. But I don't understand if he's happy for his school to be the butt of everybody's jokes.

If you are going to be a part of the nation's strongest conference you need to at least appear to want to try to compete. Doing absolutely nothing about this mess on the floor we have now would seem to contradict that.
    VT is not doing nothing, VT hired a new coach as soon as it became apparent there was a mass exodus of asst. coaches and players. But you can't rebuild overnight, without so much as a single recruiting class.

we are in the turn around process weren't you watching last year? Greenberg left this program in a royal mess. If not for Weaver firing Greenberg even Green would not be here this year. Suck it up you got your change last year and it will take time because of the holw JJ was left in-we need players-period

Quote Originally Posted by hokiewasp View Post
    we are in the turn around process weren't you watching last year? Greenberg left this program in a royal mess. If not for Weaver firing Greenberg even Green would not be here this year. Suck it up you got your change last year and it will take time because of the holw JJ was left in-we need players-period
    Without Green and others that were rumored to be considering transfer prior to and after the firing, we would probably be in last place in the ACC. With the players that stuck around and our new coaching staff, we're in last place in the ACC. Right now, we have the same core of players from last year, with an additional year of experience under their belts. Just my opinion, but I don't think we look better than last year. I'm not suggesting that we should be in the NCAA tournament this year, but we should be seeing improvement. If anything, it seems like several players have regressed in their performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Buy These! View Post
    VT is not doing nothing, VT hired a new coach as soon as it became apparent there was a mass exodus of asst. coaches and players. But you can't rebuild overnight, without so much as a single recruiting class.
    Yeah? Well guess what? Nobody's going to be part of rebuilding a program while the clowns that brought it down are still in charge. Get used to this utter embarrassment of a basketball program until a reasonable house cleaning comes. That means a new AD who can articulate a vision for the program's that can instill some confidence in recruits and their families that they won't be signing up to be part of one of college basketball's biggest jokes. Because that's what it is now, and the 4 star recruits aren't beating our doors down to be a part of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Buy These! View Post
    With respect to men's and women's basketball, VT is categorically doing nothing. I don't blame the coaches or players for that.