Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by just2selltickets View Post
    Disagree. The moving around is the problem. That is what has killed the tournament as it is now known. Be it in Greensboro, Charlotte (my personal choice), or any other location, what has hurt the ACC is bouncing around so much. Why is the BE tournament so attractive? Because it is in NYC - in one location. Yeah, it has the history of MSG going for it, but the static location is more important.

The ACC has bounced around more than a basketball. MSG is the most logical first choice, but it is pretty apparent that is out for a very, very long time.

With the ACC, you have to check the calendar to see where it is going to be each year. Greensboro isn't the sexiest choice in the world, but it is consistent. I think Charlotte would be better, though. DC would be totally out. It just doesn't have the kick that NYC does. People will deal with NYC because it is NYC. It is easier to get in there, stay, get around and enjoy the games, the city. DC is none of that. Charlotte has a bit more to do than other options, but is still an easy place to deal with, too.
    Two Techs already covered my issue with your take of D.C.

Greensboro is a joke of a town and honestly they don't need an arena that big for the ACC tournament anymore. The only people that like Greensboro are the local NC school fans who can drive back home after the games.

Having the ACC tournament in the same area (North Carolina) every year benefits the NC schools, who get to play semi-home games while everyone else has to travel to them. Over the decades they've benefited greatly from this arrangement...to the detriment of the other schools in this conference. No wonder attendance lags when the conference tourney goes outside NC these days...the ACC has spent all of its time building up programs in one state!

Honestly for competitive balance reasons alone, the conference tourney should be held outside North Carolina for 15-20 years straight.

We'll have 16 teams in a couple years, and only 4 from the state of North Carolina. A backwards-looking conference would continue to have the tournament in Greensboro, sponsored by Bojangles and Food Lion. They'll ignore the changing fortunes in college sports and be shocked when other members with options bolt for conferences with vision and money. A forward-looking conference would do the best to expand their influence and keep their diverse membership happy.

Quote Originally Posted by CobbCountyHokie View Post
    I think the YUM center in Louisville holds over 20,000 so it would be large enough. I also find it interesting that they no longer want to use the Georgia Dome but they like Philips Arena here in Atlanta.
    There's more night life in GSO than looserville. It's a really scummy town.

Quote Originally Posted by RapmasterAC View Post
    Two Techs already covered my issue with your take of D.C.

Greensboro is a joke of a town and honestly they don't need an arena that big for the ACC tournament anymore. The only people that like Greensboro are the local NC school fans who can drive back home after the games.

Having the ACC tournament in the same area (North Carolina) every year benefits the NC schools, who get to play semi-home games while everyone else has to travel to them. Over the decades they've benefited greatly from this arrangement...to the detriment of the other schools in this conference. No wonder attendance lags when the conference tourney goes outside NC these days...the ACC has spent all of its time building up programs in one state!

Honestly for competitive balance reasons alone, the conference tourney should be held outside North Carolina for 15-20 years straight.

We'll have 16 teams in a couple years, and only 4 from the state of North Carolina. A backwards-looking conference would continue to have the tournament in Greensboro, sponsored by Bojangles and Food Lion. They'll ignore the changing fortunes in college sports and be shocked when other members with options bolt for conferences with vision and money. A forward-looking conference would do the best to expand their influence and keep their diverse membership happy.
    you are clueless about Greensboro. There's plenty to do there, but I'm sure you've never been there, so I'll excuse your ignorance.