Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thoughts from InsideTheACC.com on future ACC tourney locations

The ACC is talking about going north for some future tournaments. I used to pooh-pooh that out of hand, but Zach brings up some interesting points about the venue, tapping into new markets (corporate sponsorship), etc.

Still, I think taking it too far away from the fan bases at UNC, Duke, and NC State is a little dicey.

I'm surprised Freedom Hall -- or wherever Louisville plays now -- isn't listed as a possible site. Not big enough?

Around the ACC: Big Apple Bound?
    Always use "Reply With Quote", so everyone knows to whom you're responding.

I'd think that there is some type of clause that prevents the tournament from being hosted at one of the schools' home arenas.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Stewart View Post
    The ACC is talking about going north for some future tournaments. I used to pooh-pooh that out of hand, but Zach brings up some interesting points about the venue, tapping into new markets (corporate sponsorship), etc.

Still, I think taking it too far away from the fan bases at UNC, Duke, and NC State is a little dicey.

I'm surprised Freedom Hall -- or wherever Louisville plays now -- isn't listed as a possible site. Not big enough?

ACC wants purely "neutral" site for tourney, not where team plays all its home games

If they truly want to present the ACC as an Eastern seaboard conference, they have to move the tournament around. Or they can just call themselves a big-time conference and continue to hold games in Greensboro and wonder why non-NC basketball programs can't get traction in this conference, and why conference members start bailing.

Quote Originally Posted by Nate23VT View Post
    I'd think that there is some type of clause that prevents the tournament from being hosted at one of the schools' home arenas.
    Sorry..hadn't refreshed to see your post b4 I did

I think the YUM center in Louisville holds over 20,000 so it would be large enough. I also find it interesting that they no longer want to use the Georgia Dome but they like Philips Arena here in Atlanta.

Quote Originally Posted by RapmasterAC View Post
    If they truly want to present the ACC as an Eastern seaboard conference, they have to move the tournament around. Or they can just call themselves a big-time conference and continue to hold games in Greensboro and wonder why non-NC basketball programs can't get traction in this conference, and why conference members start bailing.
    Disagree. The moving around is the problem. That is what has killed the tournament as it is now known. Be it in Greensboro, Charlotte (my personal choice), or any other location, what has hurt the ACC is bouncing around so much. Why is the BE tournament so attractive? Because it is in NYC - in one location. Yeah, it has the history of MSG going for it, but the static location is more important.

The ACC has bounced around more than a basketball. MSG is the most logical first choice, but it is pretty apparent that is out for a very, very long time.

With the ACC, you have to check the calendar to see where it is going to be each year. Greensboro isn't the sexiest choice in the world, but it is consistent. I think Charlotte would be better, though. DC would be totally out. It just doesn't have the kick that NYC does. People will deal with NYC because it is NYC. It is easier to get in there, stay, get around and enjoy the games, the city. DC is none of that. Charlotte has a bit more to do than other options, but is still an easy place to deal with, too.

Quote Originally Posted by CobbCountyHokie View Post
    I think the YUM center in Louisville holds over 20,000 so it would be large enough. I also find it interesting that they no longer want to use the Georgia Dome but they like Philips Arena here in Atlanta.
    I went to the ACC tournament when it was at the Georgia Dome, it sucked. They set an all time attendance record but the majority of the seats were far, far away from the court.Hokies had a great position as one of the center-court teams but we were in temporary bleachers with a very low trajectory way the hell away from the court. I think everybody disliked the arrangement despite having more tickets to offer. I think the ACC brass has now insisted on it being in a true basketball arena not a dome or multipurpose facility just for extra seats. That is why it was in the Phillips Arena when it rotated through Atlanta again.

I agree with justsell2 , the rotation has hurt the tournament especially the foray into Florida flopped. Keep it central so most of the schools can more easily participate. Sometimes going is spur of the moment and easy driving facillitates taking in a game if your team pulls an upset. Losing team fans dump there tourney tickets and a surge of winning team fans arrive to gather them up. That can't happen if you're too far north or south.
    Last edited by VT75; Thu Feb 07 2013 at 05:37 AM. Reason: corrcted spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Will Stewart View Post

I think Charlotte is the best option with an NBA arena, but the problem is football is already there and I'm not sure ACC fans want to travel to the same city twice in one year. But then again, I'd go to Charlotte over Greensboro any day of the week. I'd put Atlanta second and NYC third, Greensboro just doesn't make sense to me. Sure, the North Carolina teams like it, but if the ACC is going to cater to the basketball powers they better pick a more attractive location for Syracuse, Louisville, Pittsburg, and Notre Dame. The ACC has to face the fact that they handed power to the new additions seeing as all 4 have had more recent basketball success than any ACC team excepting Duke and UNC. And I can assure you those alumni are not going to be thrilled about having to travel to Greensboro, NC for the conference tourney.

Quote Originally Posted by just2selltickets View Post
    Disagree. The moving around is the problem. That is what has killed the tournament as it is now known. Be it in Greensboro, Charlotte (my personal choice), or any other location, what has hurt the ACC is bouncing around so much. Why is the BE tournament so attractive? Because it is in NYC - in one location. Yeah, it has the history of MSG going for it, but the static location is more important.

The ACC has bounced around more than a basketball. MSG is the most logical first choice, but it is pretty apparent that is out for a very, very long time.

With the ACC, you have to check the calendar to see where it is going to be each year. Greensboro isn't the sexiest choice in the world, but it is consistent. I think Charlotte would be better, though. DC would be totally out. It just doesn't have the kick that NYC does. People will deal with NYC because it is NYC. It is easier to get in there, stay, get around and enjoy the games, the city. DC is none of that. Charlotte has a bit more to do than other options, but is still an easy place to deal with, too.
    ???

DC has 2 major airports serving it and a substantial subways system. Access to the Verizon Center is easy via Metro, and I had no problems attending the 2005 ACC Tournament there. If one is looking for touristy stuff separate from the games, the Smithsonian museums can consume days and cover a wide variety of subjects.