Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Quote Originally Posted by VTer View Post
    He coached at Long Beach State, South Florida and VT - all schools that are difficult to recruit good players to. Enough said.
    If he was such a great coach, why did he have to settle for such mediocre programs?

Maybe some sort of personality issue? Must be something??

Quote Originally Posted by VPI63 View Post
    If he was such a great coach, why did he have to settle for such mediocre programs?

Holy cow, why do the Greenberg things keep coming up as if he was the greatest coach ever? We should NOT strive for Greenberg results here.......EVER.......we should not be content with fifth place finishes, mediocre OOC play, and NIT bids.......Seth was not going to get us beyond those things.........he had his chance, and did not succeed.........too many people are caught up on celebrating his ability to "not have us suck." Wow, what a great attitude........

I would rather take my chances on a coach that may be able to build something beyond what Seth did. Can it happen? YES!!!!!! It CAN happen, no matter what CVille or others post on this board. Are the odds against us? Of course!!! Why? Because we have very little basketball tradition. Coaches know they can't just show up, flash the VT name, and have kids knocking on the door........

That's why you have to try to find the guy that can take your program to the next level......for VT, that next level is simply the NCAA Tourney......nothing more, nothing less.......Seth did it once in a decade, which is about standard in VT history, but horrible in the terms of overall "BCS" NCAA basketball........we need a coach who can get us there on a more consistent basis, and I am willing to search for that guy.......he can be found, and it can be done.......and who knows, we may have just found him!?!?!?!......I refuse to accept that we are a hopeless basketball school that will forever be entrenched in cow pastures and zero fan support......
    "Don't give up......Don't ever give up." -- Jimmy V

Seth was a good hire and might have succeeded with a little more luck ...

Win the NCAA? No. But that's a VT issue, not a coach issue. We'll need a hire with a perfect storm to ever make a real splash in the Big Dance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubman View Post
    Holy cow, why do the Greenberg things keep coming up as if he was the greatest coach ever? We should NOT strive for Greenberg results here.......EVER.......we should not be content with fifth place finishes, mediocre OOC play, and NIT bids.......Seth was not going to get us beyond those things.........he had his chance, and did not succeed.........too many people are caught up on celebrating his ability to "not have us suck." Wow, what a great attitude........

I would rather take my chances on a coach that may be able to build something beyond what Seth did. Can it happen? YES!!!!!! It CAN happen, no matter what CVille or others post on this board. Are the odds against us? Of course!!! Why? Because we have very little basketball tradition. Coaches know they can't just show up, flash the VT name, and have kids knocking on the door........

That's why you have to try to find the guy that can take your program to the next level......for VT, that next level is simply the NCAA Tourney......nothing more, nothing less.......Seth did it once in a decade, which is about standard in VT history, but horrible in the terms of overall "BCS" NCAA basketball........we need a coach who can get us there on a more consistent basis, and I am willing to search for that guy.......he can be found, and it can be done.......and who knows, we may have just found him!?!?!?!......I refuse to accept that we are a hopeless basketball school that will forever be entrenched in cow pastures and zero fan support......
    "That's some catch, that Catch 22!" - Capt. Yossarian

So, you admit VT is a mediocre program? Maybe he saw a chance to upgrade (himself) from South Florida. VT was definitely a higher probability program. Something? I'll eliminate the personality issue for you. Now what?
    Quote Originally Posted by VPI63 View Post

"That's some catch, that Catch 22!" - Capt. Yossarian

Quote Originally Posted by Hubman View Post

Hey, no argument here!

Quote Originally Posted by TomTurkey View Post
    So, you admit VT is a mediocre program? Maybe he saw a chance to upgrade (himself) from South Florida. VT was definitely a higher probability program. Something? I'll eliminate the personality issue for you. Now what?
    Yes, SG was a mediocre program that brought us back to mediocrity. Never said anything any different.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveInBaltimore View Post
    OK, but I just want to point out that whenever anyone mentioned injuries, illnesses, and all the other factors that kept Greenberg's teams from doing as well as we hoped, there were quite a few people on here who constantly said those were just excuses, and that the bottom line was ABSOLUTELY NOTHING except the # of tournaments you make. Period. We had players dying of cancer, losing family members, suffering multiple ACL tears, rare life-threatening, heart conditions. But there was a vocal # of people around here who said all that was a bunch of excuses and that you either SUCCEED (make the tournament) or FAIL (period). I was a Greenberg supporter and I can't tell you how many times I had that kind of line thrown in my face on this board.

So now all of a sudden we're supposed to give the coach a break because the players got hte flu? I hope you can understand how, after having been told not to "make excuses" for Greenberg and that he must be judged a failure based only on # of tournament appearances, that now I read 30 posts a week talking about the hand that Johnson has been dealt, injuries, flu, etc. Suddenly excuse-making is apparently OK because we have a nicer guy as head coach, apparently.
    Steve, I think you're stretching things a little. BTW, I supported Seth also. But you are talking about people saying contradicting things. Are the same people that bashed Seth supporting JJ now? Are the same people that supported Seth bashing JJ now?
    "We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."

-Albert Einstein