Post Board/Thread View and Filter Settings....

Quote Originally Posted by VTCC'65 View Post
    I simply don't understand the treaded/vBulletin etc formats. Is this explained some place?
    Quote Originally Posted by HokieForever View Post
    I am with you, love threaded to see what is "boiling" to the top in discussion. I don't like the new format, but maybe at 36 I am an old curmudgeon. Like you I do "drive-bys" and threaded view provides the quickest way to see what is being discussed.
    I think we're talking about two different things in these two posts, so maybe this will help. (Note: All settings can also be changed in the User Settings section.)

Board View - How we view the main board (Subscriber's, Lounge, Football, etc.). This setting can be changed in a pulldown menu at the bottom left of the board view

- Threaded View (Default) - Displays the board in the old TSL style, with the subject lines of replies tabbed over and underneath the post to which they are replying. Easy to see who has replied to who and subjects of replies within the "thread" or "topic".
    - Topic View (Classic vBulletin) - Displays the board by subject line of the first post in the thread/topic. Has several indicators as to whether new posts have been added since your last view, and a link to the first new post. Has no indicators of content of replies.

Thread/Topic View - How we view each individual post. This setting can be changed in a pulldown menu at the upper right of an individual post.

- Linear Mode - Displays replies to the original post (thread starter) in order of time of reply. Conversations are maintained by use of Reply With Quote to indicate to whom a person is responding. Can display a user-selected number of posts on a page (default is 10), and pages can be navigated to individually.
    - Threaded Mode - Displays the current post being read only. Contains a subject tree of the whole thread/topic similar to the old TSL style, where subject lines of replies are are tabbed over and underneath the post to which they are replying. The current post is displayed below the subject tree.
    - Hybrid Mode - Displays, despite the misleading name, a hybrid view of the two above. View is similar to linear mode, with the addition of a subject tree (in a scrollable window for larger trees) from the threaded mode, displayed above the linear posts. Clicking a link in the subject tree zooms you to the appropriate post in the linear display.

Board Sorting - How the threads/topics on a board are sorted for display. This setting can be changed in a pulldown menu near the bottom left of the board, above the board view setting pulldown, in the "Thread Display Options" section.

- Show threads from the... - Sets the earliest thread/topic (based on thread/topic start time, I believe) that will be displayed in a board. Most boards have enough posts that you won't really be impacted by this. To test changes to this setting, try going to the Epic Posts Board (where this post should shortly appear, IMnsHO) and changing settings there.
    - Sort threads by... - Determines the order in which threads/topics will be displayed in your board view. This has a large impact on how the board is viewed. The old TSL style displayed threads/topics by "Thread Start Time", which caused threads/topics to move off the first page as more new threads/topics were created. The current vBulletin style (Topic View) has more impact when sorted by "Last Post Time", which keeps popular or hot threads on the board's first page for longer.

FH
    Last edited by Will Stewart; Thu Jan 31 2013 at 03:16 PM.
    No trees were harmed in the making of this post. However, billions of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.