Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    The only sticky one is what to do with Stinespring. Shane is untouchable. Any new OC would know that. What to do with Stiney is the biggest problem. He would present me, as the new OC the biggest question mark. Long time staff member, long time OC, Friend of Frank, someone who would definitely have the Big Whistle's ear no matter what position he would have on the new offensive staff.

Of course one of the junior-est members on the staff who definitely has the Boss' ear could bring pause to any top shelf OC.

Of course the fact that Billy Hite still comes to coaches meetings, still looks at film, still roams the sidelines, and definitely still has Beamer's ear could be a problem to many potential OC's also.

Quote Originally Posted by squarerootofone View Post
    If I was Pep and was offered the job, with the edict from Frank as to who gets to stay on his staff, I'd say thanks, but no thanks. Maybe a coach or two might be retained, maybe not, but that should be a decision for the new OC to be able to make.

congratulations..well done..first legitimate post (I've seen) to suggest strong reasons why he might come to VT..... With VT sandwiched around home,DC, family (particularly if parents close by), and COL/salary factor...... I understand why he might seriously consider taking the job rather than remaining in Beverly Hills north.

First glimmer of hope. The only question is to what are other VT assistants making---frankly would be shocked if thought our assistants making that much....and can't be too different unless you want a group of unmotivated/angry assistants feeling they have been slapped in face.

Cali just put in a new tax on the "rich" so even more the money goes much further in the burg than cali

Quote Originally Posted by YardBird View Post
    I can attest to being glad to leave Cali. And yes, money does go further elsewhere, in my case, Texas. Not sure how that works in negotiations. Probably won't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by dna-vt View Post
    congratulations..well done..first legitimate post (I've seen) to suggest strong reasons why he might come to VT..... With VT sandwiched around home,DC, family (particularly if parents close by), and COL/salary factor...... I understand why he might seriously consider taking the job rather than remaining in Beverly Hills north.

First glimmer of hope. The only question is to what are other VT assistants making---frankly would be shocked if thought our assistants making that much....and can't be too different unless you want a group of unmotivated/angry assistants feeling they have been slapped in face.
    Where have you been for the past 2 weeks? These very same pros and cons have been discussed every day...

Quote Originally Posted by dna-vt View Post

At 400k, he'd still be making 100k less than Foster, his peer and the only comparison that would matter.

There's also talk of Ca. instituting an "Exit fee" for leaving the state. They've got you coming and going.

Quote Originally Posted by Atlee Hokie View Post
    The only sticky one is what to do with Stinespring. Shane is untouchable. Any new OC would know that. What to do with Stiney is the biggest problem. He would present me, as the new OC the biggest question mark. Long time staff member, long time OC, Friend of Frank, someone who would definitely have the Big Whistle's ear no matter what position he would have on the new offensive staff.

Of course one of the junior-est members on the staff who definitely has the Boss' ear could bring pause to any top shelf OC.

Of course the fact that Billy Hite still comes to coaches meetings, still looks at film, still roams the sidelines, and definitely still has Beamer's ear could be a problem to many potential OC's also.
    You betcha. It's a recipe for conflict galore.

Quote Originally Posted by hokeyhokie View Post
    COL is overrated in salary negotiation.
    I can agree that market conditions drive salary, but cost of living is a large factor in determining market conditions. I work closely with HR types and it is most definately accounted for especially when you are talking about moving from a high cost of living area like California, New York, or DC. I know for a fact that there are default "adjustments" to people's salaries who move into and out of those regions for my company. Although the bottom line point with Pep is VT can likely give him significant raise in terms of absolute dollars paid in addition to the fact the money will go a lot further living in Blacksburg. It's a win/win situation.

Haha. Good luck getting people to stroke that check.

His peer? Has he had the same success as Foster? From that standpoint you are saying Stiney and Foster are peers and should make the same.