Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Just a thought about Pep

Everyone is questioning why he would leave Stanford to come here. I think there are a bunch of reasons but heres a few. (I have no inside info, these are just my thoughts)

-He was born in Charlotte and went to school in DC.
    -Has family in D.C
    -VT head coach position may be opening soon and he may want to get his foot in the door for that

-Cost of living calculator
    A salary of $400,000 in Blacksburg, Virginia should increase to $1,154,851 in Palo Alto, California
    I dont think he makes 1.2 million in CA but i believe we would pay him 400K here.

To me, with Stanford being notorious for not paying assistants well and the cost of living being nearly 3x as much in Palo Alto. The money alone would be enough to leave. Not to mention being much closer to home and family.

I think it will take 1.5 mill to get this guy. Not sure he is worth it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 05hokie05 View Post
    Everyone is questioning why he would leave Stanford to come here. I think there are a bunch of reasons but heres a few. (I have no inside info, these are just my thoughts)

-Has family in D.C
    -VT head coach position may be opening soon and he may want to get his foot in the door for that

A salary of $400,000 in Blacksburg, Virginia should increase to $1,154,851 in Palo Alto, California
    I dont think he makes 1.2 million in CA but i believe we would pay him 400K here.

To me, with Stanford being notorious for not paying assistants well and the cost of living being nearly 3x as much in Palo Alto. The money alone would be enough to leave. Not to mention being much closer to home and family.

COL is overrated in salary negotiation.

-Has family in D.C

Main reasons is what 05hokie05 posted. VT will be a great place for him and his style of Offense . He's a East Coast Man and will be glad to be home ....Plus I think VT is getting ready for a Pep Rally !!

$1.5 mil? Really? That would mean a helluva bump for Foster too. How much does Frank make?
    I live by the sword, I take my boys everywhere I go because I'm paranoid, I keep looking over my shoulder and peepin' around corners, my mind's playin' tricks on me

-Has family in D.C

The site I looked at said he'd need $720,000 in CA, but I think you have a good point.
    I will never understand people.
    They're the worst!

Quote Originally Posted by JRHokie View Post
    Main reasons is what 05hokie05 posted. VT will be a great place for him and his style of Offense . He's a East Coast Man and will be glad to be home ....Plus I think VT is getting ready for a Pep Rally !!
    Not sure that he would consider Blacksburg "home". He said he likes DC and the cultural diversity there. Seems to me that Maryland would be the ideal place for him to coach, not VT which is located in a rural town.

Quote Originally Posted by Rahvatech View Post
    I think it will take 1.5 mill to get this guy. Not sure he is worth it.
    LOL...based on what? I love posts like these. I've dealt with project managers who've made much better Wild Ass Guesses than that. I have no idea, but I bet the number of OC's in college football right now making that kind of money could be counted on one hand.
    I want those that get to know me to become admirers of my enemies.

If I was Pep and was offered the job, with the edict from Frank as to who gets to stay on his staff, I'd say thanks, but no thanks. Maybe a coach or two might be retained, maybe not, but that should be a decision for the new OC to be able to make.

-Has family in D.C

I can attest to being glad to leave Cali. And yes, money does go further elsewhere, in my case, Texas. Not sure how that works in negotiations. Probably won't matter.