Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

I could only see the B1G taking BC and GT if they plan to go over 16. And maybe waaay over. If those two schools go to the B1G, you can't tell me they are going to tell UVa, UNC, Notre Dame and Syracuse, "sorry, no room at the inn." If B1G takes those two, we will likely be in the SEC in short order.
    Quote Originally Posted by Banker VT View Post
    On the surface, losing BC is like losing a back ache, but they are one of the ACC programs that are enticing to the Notre Dame administration. It would be a devastating blow to the ACC's chances of landing Notre Dame and would probably be the straw that broke the camel's back for the ACC.

as we all know,under the current bowl contract which has one more year after this season, they use BCS rank based on the polls and computers.

under the new contract with the final 4 tournament there will be an 11 member selection committee made up primarily of the conferences. they WILL NOT use the polls and they WILL give credit for record and being a conference champ. the conferences want their championships to count for something...that has been made clear. if ND wants to be independant and make the playoff, they'll need a year like this year where they have a better record than EVERYONE else against a good schedule. as an independent, they will lose all tiebreakers.

they pretty much have to join a conference or be satisfied that they have to go undefeated to get in. Bama had to beat Ga to get to the championship game. ND had to beat no one. the conferences, which control access to the tournament (not the media), will not stand for that

Quote Originally Posted by hokiefan86 View Post
    So why didn't they do that this past June? While we're playing the 'remembering game', I remember you saying before those meetings that the big 5 wanted to force ND into a conference by shutting off their playoff route. So why didn't it happen?? Seems to me the simple answer is that ND didn't want it to happen -- along with the non-big 5 (who have votes) and some members of congress. Now that ND has made the championship without conference membership, I don't see this getting harder for the anytime soon.

Bingo and that just based on the new rules they have passed. The rules if you look over the last 10+ years have been moving away from favoritism to ND. The trend is not good for them and their Administration knows it.

Quote Originally Posted by daveinop View Post
    as we all know,under the current bowl contract which has one more year after this season, they use BCS rank based on the polls and computers.

under the new contract with the final 4 tournament there will be an 11 member selection committee made up primarily of the conferences. they WILL NOT use the polls and they WILL give credit for record and being a conference champ. the conferences want their championships to count for something...that has been made clear. if ND wants to be independant and make the playoff, they'll need a year like this year where they have a better record than EVERYONE else against a good schedule. as an independent, they will lose all tiebreakers.

they pretty much have to join a conference or be satisfied that they have to go undefeated to get in. Bama had to beat Ga to get to the championship game. ND had to beat no one. the conferences, which control access to the tournament (not the media), will not stand for that

Kevin White will have Ron Wellman and Debbie Yow cut off a horses head and place it in Bubba Cunningham's bed if UNC leaves for the B1G. After getting over the shock of the severed equine's head, Bubba will visit Kevin's office only to find the carpets covered with a big plastic tarp.

No. There will not be a "conference champion only" playoff system. Notre Dame is too valuable to be left out of a playoff/bowl series. There may be four major conferences at the end of the day, but they will not break away from everyone else to form their own "league" and leave others out. There would be litigation and congress would somehow get involved. It would be a big mess.

This is about a big money grab. Big 10, PAC 10, SEC, Big 12, ACC competing against each other for more revenue. They are not working together to get to a singular point - a Big Four with their own playoff.

The playoff/bowl deal with ESPN is for over $7 billion and will run thru 2026. I doubt aBC/ESPN would be on board with a playoff that does not include ND. JMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Stech View Post
    Very good questions on the Maryland situation. Maryland was desperate for money now!!! They had to cut sports and they were looking at cutting more. The ND moving to the conference is going to happen, but the big question is when is it going to happen and what conference will they end up in at the end of the day. The B1G is still working to get ND and sold Maryland on it. They are selling the implosion of the ACC to the rumored ACC schools. ND knows this and doesn't like this this situation.

ND is caught between a rock and hard place. They want to be the last school to join a conference to get cover from their big donors and fans, but they do not want the ACC to implode. Sound like a game of chicken?

The northeast is a gigantic grab bag and serves as both the ACC's and B1G's backyards. If I had Delaney's mindset, Syracuse (Buffalo, Rochester & Syracuse TV markets) and BC (Boston TV market) would be the only 2 I'd want from the ACC. UVa is the Henry Hill of the ACC (can't be made but important to the Carolina mafia) and would be a hard sell for Delaney, akin to the ACC stealing PSU from the B1G. GT would just make the B1G appear dysfunctional IMHO.