Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

The ND/at-large Catch 22. A question for which I've yet to get a satisfactory answer. If a future NCAAT goes to a champions only format, what will that do to the OOC schedule? IMO, it turns it into little more than NFL preseason. The way I look at it, as long as there is an at-large slot, ND doesn't need to join, and as long as ND is independent, there will be an at-large slot.

Also, I'm not saying ND will never join a conference, but I seriously doubt that such a move will be right around the corner. ND joining the ACC likely would have kept UMd in the ACC. I find it hard to believe that the UMd defection was a surprise to ND. They could have stopped this, yet they didn't. You'd think that if ND was coming to ACC anytime soon, they'd have preferred UMd stayed and you'd think they would have wanted to prevent the invite of UL. I might be wrong, maybe ND is coming and they either didn't know or didn't care about UMd. Or, maybe UMD knew ND was coming and they chose the B1G anyway. BTW, if ND ever came to the ACC, I'd love to see them play a game in Baltimore every year. And i generally despise off-campus games.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stech View Post
    The B1G is trying to get ACC teams right now and thus causing the conference to implode.

So the question should be directed at ND. They will need a conference because the rules to get to the National Championship are going to change so that you have to be in a conference.(They already did to some degree in June, but most forget that) Too many big football schools want that to happen and ND is out numbered and they know it. (I am ducking for the ND will never join a conference crowd...expect many post on this)

That said, does ND want to be just another mid-western school like most of the schools in the B1G want or do they want to be the Big Man On Campus in the ACC?

Very good questions on the Maryland situation. Maryland was desperate for money now!!! They had to cut sports and they were looking at cutting more. The ND moving to the conference is going to happen, but the big question is when is it going to happen and what conference will they end up in at the end of the day. The B1G is still working to get ND and sold Maryland on it. They are selling the implosion of the ACC to the rumored ACC schools. ND knows this and doesn't like this this situation.

ND is caught between a rock and hard place. They want to be the last school to join a conference to get cover from their big donors and fans, but they do not want the ACC to implode. Sound like a game of chicken?

Quote Originally Posted by LovernHokie View Post
    Understood, it's just a question of how stubborn ND is going to be. Will their passiveness lead to the acc losing teams before ND chooses to make a decision to join the acc?

It's a slippery slope that ND is on.
    Yep and I explain a bit more in my explanation to Maroon Baboon.

WADR for some reason it is showing up on both boards...weird.

The B1G is trying to get ACC teams right now and thus causing the conference to implode.

So the question should be directed at ND. They will need a conference because the rules to get to the National Championship are going to change so that you have to be in a conference.(They already did to some degree in June, but most forget that) Too many big football schools want that to happen and ND is out numbered and they know it. (I am ducking for the ND will never join a conference crowd...expect many post on this)

That said, does ND want to be just another mid-western school like most of the schools in the B1G want or do they want to be the Big Man On Campus in the ACC?
    So why didn't they do that this past June? While we're playing the 'remembering game', I remember you saying before those meetings that the big 5 wanted to force ND into a conference by shutting off their playoff route. So why didn't it happen?? Seems to me the simple answer is that ND didn't want it to happen -- along with the non-big 5 (who have votes) and some members of congress. Now that ND has made the championship without conference membership, I don't see this getting harder for the anytime soon.

They did pass that conference championship will be a component in June...look it up.

This year it is not in effect...so this year is irrelevant. I am telling you it will go further in the future than just being a component. You probably don't believe me, but did you believe 5 years ago that the SEC, the ACC and B1G would be 14 teams? I did and stated it to several people who thought I had lost my mind then too. Welcome to the party!

If another school leaves the ACC watch out!!!

Depends on the school...but if it is a major school/football team then I agree. ND you listening?

Depends on the school...but if it is a major school/football team then I agree. ND you listening?
    Agreed. If either Clemson or FSU bolt, it's lights out.

Yeah, because this string is crowding out all the bowl game discussion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buy These! View Post
    Might I suggest that you all take this discussion back to the "special" board established for it