Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678

West Virginia touches both Virginia and Pennsylvania.

Besides, who cares about skipping a state, especially since Virginia and Pennsylvania are only about 15 miles apart at couple of spots, and a half hour drive across most of it?

West Virginia is the only school besides BYU and Boise State that one could consider to be a football power that is possible to get for us. And they would make Louisville and Pitt even more tight with the main ACC than Navy. ND, too, at least geographically.

I'd rather have WVU than anyone at this point, by far. They are the only team we could add that would be seen as a big step toward solidity (beside ND as a full).

Navy's only selling point, IMO, is that they might bring ND. If so, they are in. If not, then they are out until they do.

Quote Originally Posted by Calamitous View Post
    Navy fills many voids for the ACC. 1) It makes the ACC contiguous again (note Louisville makes us contiguous with ND in a gerrymandered sort of way). Many on this board feel contiguity is overrated, but all AQ conferences are currently contiguous except for the Big 12 (and I'm not counting the BE as AQ anymore). 2) Like you say, it puts us in the DC market. 3) This would give the ACC 2 national brands. 4) This move places academics back to the top; on par or maybe slighlty ahead of the B1G. 5) Probably most importantly, it gives ND 2 major rivals in the conference that lessens their need for OOC scheduling against USC, Stanford and other B1G schools. Is Navy enough to convince ND to relinquish their indy status?

So I'm with you on Navy based on the above points. If ND accepts for all sports and the ACC makes a new lucrative deal with a greater payout per school, then who becomes #16 with Navy in tow? I'm guessing it has to be UConn, although that will not make BC happy, plus FSU and Clemson may get sick to their stomachs. I like your optimism on picking up another football power, but I can't see who that could be (PSU???) unless the ACC's new deal is great enough to rival B1G money. Any football powers from the SEC are untouchable IMO. You seem to be very in touch with expansion, so I'm interested on what could happen here.

Finally, a ACC win over UMD in court, added with a new & lucrative ACC deal might put the ACC back on the offensive and not the defensive. The poker game continues...

I'm calling BS on this sort of comment. We added Louisville. That proves that it is possible. Louisville and WVU are virtually identical reputation-wise. If we need to do that again, we will.

It would also be a very smart move. WVU steals a very good team away from the Big 12. It would establish the ACC above the Big 12 in the conference pecking order. It would cause them to at least accept someone much lesser than WVU. TV rights or not, WVU is a smart pick, even with their bad academics.

Quote Originally Posted by Synaesthesia View Post
    Virginia Tech has a better chance of going to the PAC-12 than WVU does of getting into the ACC.

Took me a minute to get how Cincinnati could do this. Virgina -> Kentucky -> Ohio -> Penn. Wow. that is really up the coast through the back door!

Quote Originally Posted by hokieball View Post
    The ACC would also be contiguous if it added WVU or Cincinnati... Just sayin'.

What would happen if the Big Ten took Missouri and Kansas? I could see that as a starter.

The ACC stonewalls the Big 10, they get greedy again and decide to add a big population state and a storied basketball school. Not bad.

The SEC takes WVU because Texas holds the Big 12 together for a while, and VT and the NC schools hang tough.

Then Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma and (Oklahoma State or KSU) finally give up on the Big 12 and join the Pac 12. Or the Pac 12 takes only two and the SEC gets the other two.

Then it comes down to the SEC maybe raiding the ACC for a team (maybe FSU. maybe VT!) and taking another Big 12 team (like KSU or OSU) if they still need or want two more, and the ACC refilling with whoever is left, like Cincinnati or South Florida. I doubt we could stomach UConn by then.

Seems just as likely and ends with the ACC possibly remaining totally untouched or only losing one team.

Quote Originally Posted by crabcake77 View Post
    Jeezus that's depressing.

Quote Originally Posted by Atlee Hokie View Post
    I don't share your belief that Miami will ever get close to where they were at one time.
    I go back and forth on this. Miami will always be able to get the 5* players just due to location alone. Unless they get hammered by the NCAA with some big time penalties, then I think they can get back on top quick. If they hired someone like Mike Leach or Gus Malzahn...I think they would tear it up.

I think nd can do what they want. I personally don't think that nd will ever join a conference for football. Why would they? If we leave the acc, I think the acc will basically just become what the big east was. I think fsu will get tired of waiting around for nd and then just leave. They don't need the acc either. There will always be concessions made for nd even in a playoff situation. I also don't buy the whole...they are giving us what they didn't give the big east...theory. Guess what 3 of those 5 games already are.... BC, Miami, and Pitt. So, pretty much what they already play...they are just laughing at us behind closed doors. In other words, they aren't giving the acc any such thing. My guess would be we bolt for the sec after gt goes to the B1G....and that is right after they find out what md has to pay of their exit fee. When gt leaves, fsu and Clemson also leave. jmo.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnsonCItyHokie View Post
    I go back and forth on this. Miami will always be able to get the 5* players just due to location alone. Unless they get hammered by the NCAA with some big time penalties, then I think they can get back on top quick. If they hired someone like Mike Leach or Gus Malzahn...I think they would tear it up.
    I hear you, but ultimately, it takes money to succeed -- succeed CONSISTENTLY -- in today's CFB world.

Miami has three things working against them financially:

1.) Weakest TV contract among major conferences. FACT. Covered in detail in articles, news, etc.

2.) Small alumni base that doesn't contribute as much as larger alumni bases. CONVENTIONAL WISDOM. (I can't back this up with numbers, but I suspect it to be true.)

3.) Terrible home football attendance and thus ticket revenue. FACT. Miami ranked 44th in the nation in attendance this year (I'm surprised it was that high), and routinely advertises ridiculously discounted season ticket packages compared to a school like VT.

Take a look at the article linked below showing athletic department revenue. Granted, it's FY2008 data, but that only means that things have actually gotten worse for Miami since then, as other conferences have signed more lucrative TV deals than the ACC. So on front #1 above, Miami is falling even farther behind other traditional powers.

20 schools listed in the linked article made more than $75 million in athletic revenue in FY2008. Miami ranked 51st with $47 million. That's ninth in their own conference.

Yes, Miami has access to some SFla talent, which helps offset some of that revenue disparity, but the Canes just are not in a position to continue to compete in today's college football landscape. They can't, for example, pay the $3-$4 million required to sign the top head coaches out there, which is what it takes to compete at the highest level.

Miami. Is. Not. Coming. Back. Ever. They will NOT win another national championship. They won't even play for one. If I'm wrong, feel free to throw it back in my face.

How much revenue did your favorite Football Bowl Subdivision school take in in 2007-08?
    Always use "Reply With Quote", so everyone knows to whom you're responding.

That 44 attendance figure has to be based on tickets sold, not butts in the seats. I saw a few games on TV this year and it was obvious the camera crew were instructed to not show panorama shots of the stadium as the place was empty. I saw one game that I doubt there were 10k people there.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Stewart View Post
    I hear you, but ultimately, it takes money to succeed -- succeed CONSISTENTLY -- in today's CFB world.

3.) Terrible home football attendance and thus ticket revenue. FACT. Miami ranked 44th in the nation in attendance this year (I'm surprised it was that high), and routinely advertises ridiculously discounted season ticket packages compared to a school like VT.
    Get over it, your side lost.

Quote Originally Posted by JaxHokie19 View Post
    I think nd can do what they want. I personally don't think that nd will ever join a conference for football. Why would they? If we leave the acc, I think the acc will basically just become what the big east was. I think fsu will get tired of waiting around for nd and then just leave. They don't need the acc either. There will always be concessions made for nd even in a playoff situation. I also don't buy the whole...they are giving us what they didn't give the big east...theory. Guess what 3 of those 5 games already are.... BC, Miami, and Pitt. So, pretty much what they already play...they are just laughing at us behind closed doors. In other words, they aren't giving the acc any such thing. My guess would be we bolt for the sec after gt goes to the B1G....and that is right after they find out what md has to pay of their exit fee. When gt leaves, fsu and Clemson also leave. jmo.
    It will be interesting to see if any moves are made after the MD suit settles. GT is definitely a wild card, and maybe BC, but I doubt the B1G will turn around and make another move so soon. I also don't think the SEC gets their 2 VA/NC schools unless other ACC schools bolt first.

Bottom line, if the ACC wants ND football to join, they'll have to wait until the other 3 conferences expand to 16+ and the playoff system is taken over by the superconferences