Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Navy fills many voids for the ACC. 1) It makes the ACC contiguous again (note Louisville makes us contiguous with ND in a gerrymandered sort of way). Many on this board feel contiguity is overrated, but all AQ conferences are currently contiguous except for the Big 12 (and I'm not counting the BE as AQ anymore). 2) Like you say, it puts us in the DC market. 3) This would give the ACC 2 national brands. 4) This move places academics back to the top; on par or maybe slighlty ahead of the B1G. 5) Probably most importantly, it gives ND 2 major rivals in the conference that lessens their need for OOC scheduling against USC, Stanford and other B1G schools. Is Navy enough to convince ND to relinquish their indy status?

So I'm with you on Navy based on the above points. If ND accepts for all sports and the ACC makes a new lucrative deal with a greater payout per school, then who becomes #16 with Navy in tow? I'm guessing it has to be UConn, although that will not make BC happy, plus FSU and Clemson may get sick to their stomachs. I like your optimism on picking up another football power, but I can't see who that could be (PSU???) unless the ACC's new deal is great enough to rival B1G money. Any football powers from the SEC are untouchable IMO. You seem to be very in touch with expansion, so I'm interested on what could happen here.

Finally, a ACC win over UMD in court, added with a new & lucrative ACC deal might put the ACC back on the offensive and not the defensive. The poker game continues...

Quote Originally Posted by Calamitous View Post
    If ND accepts for all sports and the ACC makes a new lucrative deal with a greater payout per school, then who becomes #16 with Navy in tow?
    In your scenario Navy would be #16. There wouldn't be anybody else. The ACC was at 14 when ND joined. Maryland subsequently left and now Louisville will take their place. So, the ACC is still at 14.. ND would be #15 as a football member and Navy would be #16.

Quote Originally Posted by Stech View Post
    Okay, now I get it. If ND comes and I think they will come full time for football one day, then I think they fill the Maryland loss with Navy. It gives the ACC the Baltimore Washington market again. It is a national school with a tremendous following like ND that goes way beyond their alumni. That said, I think the ACC picks up at least one other football power. I don't want to say who I think it is right now, but there would be some very good football schools in the ACC when/if it happens.
    When you state 'I think the ACC picks up at least one other football power', do you mean in addition to Navy & ND? If so that puts the ACC at 17.

You seem bullish on the Texas/OK schools to the Pac 12. That means a Big XII break up, which leads me to believe WVU is the school you're referring to.

Quote Originally Posted by Calamitous View Post
    Navy fills many voids for the ACC. 1) It makes the ACC contiguous again (note Louisville makes us contiguous with ND in a gerrymandered sort of way). Many on this board feel contiguity is overrated, but all AQ conferences are currently contiguous except for the Big 12 (and I'm not counting the BE as AQ anymore).
    Did BC leave the ACC and I wasn't aware? Last time I checked Maryland does not border Massachusetts although my geography is pretty bad.
    I want those that get to know me to become admirers of my enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Stech View Post
    Okay, now I get it. If ND comes and I think they will come full time for football one day, then I think they fill the Maryland loss with Navy.
    This has been written about several times now. Navy will not happen. Period. They cannot compete across all sports at the major conference level. There are also several financial issues to overcome as well, and they're government-related. Navy is a non-starter. (Admittedly, as much as I'd like to see it.)

This article talks about the SEC, but it applies to the ACC just as well.
    http://www.mrsec.com/2011/09/ex-navy...nters-the-sec/
    No trees were harmed in the making of this post. However, billions of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Quote Originally Posted by Atlee Hokie View Post
    It's my understanding that the P12 did not want BYU last expansion, and nothing has changed to cause them to want BYU now.
    BYU's issue (one of them, at least) is that they won't play sports on Sunday. That's a big basketball day, and it plays hell (pun intended) in the schedule-making department. That's something that won't change.
    No trees were harmed in the making of this post. However, billions of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Quote Originally Posted by HokieHaz View Post
    Did BC leave the ACC and I wasn't aware? Last time I checked Maryland does not border Massachusetts although my geography is pretty bad.
    But it does touch New York, which touches Pennsylvania...we'll be OK in a year or two...if Navy joins.
    "You start a conversation you can't even finish it
    You're talkin' a lot, but you're not sayin' anything
    When I have nothing to say, my lips are sealed
    Say something once, why say it again?"
    - David Byrne

Quote Originally Posted by Freddyburg Hokie View Post
    This has been written about several times now. Navy will not happen. Period. They cannot compete across all sports at the major conference level. There are also several financial issues to overcome as well, and they're government-related. Navy is a non-starter. (Admittedly, as much as I'd like to see it.)

This article talks about the SEC, but it applies to the ACC just as well.
    http://www.mrsec.com/2011/09/ex-navy...nters-the-sec/
    Navy would have been a nice football only replacement for umd. ND+Navy=1 full member, so we would have 14 bball schools and 14 football schools. plus, it would have given the ACC 6 football games vs ND every year (own the TV rights to 3 of them instead of 2.5). i would have much preferred that over adding L'ville in all sports, but i'm guessing FSU and Clemson may have had some say in pushing for L'ville...

Add Navy LAX (spring) to go with their football (fall) and you would have some really nice national (world) appeal for ACC Network distribution!

alas, too late now....
    "This no more resembles that than something unlike something else resembles that." - Loosely quoting PHNC

Quote Originally Posted by hokieball View Post
    In your scenario Navy would be #16. There wouldn't be anybody else. The ACC was at 14 when ND joined. Maryland subsequently left and now Louisville will take their place. So, the ACC is still at 14.. ND would be #15 as a football member and Navy would be #16.
    I'm not sure how this factors in but the Navy AD has publicly indicated that they would only want to join for football because he doesn't think they can compete at the other sports. IF they were to join AND for football only, what would that mean? Would Duke drop football and compete in everything else? ;^)

Can Duke drop football regardless?
    Quote Originally Posted by Femoyer Hokie View Post
    I'm not sure how this factors in but the Navy AD has publicly indicated that they would only want to join for football because he doesn't think they can compete at the other sports. IF they were to join AND for football only, what would that mean? Would Duke drop football and compete in everything else? ;^)