Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Okay, now I get it. If ND comes and I think they will come full time for football one day, then I think they fill the Maryland loss with Navy. It gives the ACC the Baltimore Washington market again. It is a national school with a tremendous following like ND that goes way beyond their alumni. That said, I think the ACC picks up at least one other football power. I don't want to say who I think it is right now, but there would be some very good football schools in the ACC when/if it happens.

Let's not forget that a conference with FSU, Clemson, VT, ND, Miami and probably one other football power has a chance to be awesome (All teams that have played for the National Championship). The SEC has Alabama, LSU, Georgia, Florida, Tennessee, Auburn that have too but the rest are good, but not great programs. In the long run, the ACC could compete at the same level if they get the right coaches.

PS If the ACC somehow falls apart, I do like our chances of getting into the SEC and in expansion, surprises are pretty frequent.

I got the point...see my post below.

Quote Originally Posted by Stech View Post
    All I can say is if you want the demise of the ACC then there is nothing I can say to you that will make you feel better. In fact anything I say that will make you think that the ACC survives and thrives one day will make you mad. You don't want my opinion unless it supports your opinion that the ACC folds and we will end up in the SEC...like some, but not all Hokies. So why are we discussing something that only sends you off angry? What is the point?

So because i have an opinion, i cant ask a question and get an answer? Did I say that I want the demise of the acc? No. I said I want OUT of the acc. So do fsu fans. It's really not that hard to see that the acc is terrible is it? Unless you only watch acc games. I also don't think it's unreasonable to say that the sec will be what it is for years. Just as it has been what it is now for years. I mean they are going to out recruit us no matter what, unless we are in the sec as the only school in va in the sec. Like Florida.

I also don't think it takes a long time for vt to become irrelevant. We have no national championships to fall back on like Alabama, Florida, Ohio st, USC and the likes. Those schools will be relevant for that fact alone. Do you know the reason we lose big games? It's not because we choke, like most say. It's because we don't play actual competition week in and week out. The reason Lsu beat Oregon a few years ago? Cause they play in a tough league...the best league. So sory for wanting us to be the best. I actually remember frank saying...to be the best you have to play the best. One game against Alabama the start of the season and then mediocre teams at best the rest of the year isn't gonna do it.

So I will just ask you....is vt going to join the sec for the 2013 or 2014 season? Or are we going to be in this new acc?

Ps there are more hokies out here that want to go to the sec than you think. More than just some.

Swarbrick was the second source in two days to say that the ACC will eventually be making more money per school than the Big 12. Sounds like the ACC may know what they are doing after all.

Quote Originally Posted by obguthr View Post
    We screwed up by adding Loserville. 14 is a nice number. B1G and SEC are already there. I think they would do well to stay.

P-12 needs two. BYU (national following)and UNLV (big non-pro TV market) would be good pick ups that add value.

Big XII needs four. Loserville and Cincy should be a package deal and would give our dentally challenged neighbors some shorter road trips. Memphis ties those three into the main body of the conference. USF is a huge school, in a big TV market, in FLORIDA. Instead of Louisville, Big XII could take Houston.

Five conferences of 14 teams each can coexist peacefully.

See my response below to your post before this one.

Okay, now I get it. If ND comes and I think they will come full time for football one day, then I think they fill the Maryland loss with Navy. It gives the ACC the Baltimore Washington market again. It is a national school with a tremendous following like ND that goes way beyond their alumni. That said, I think the ACC picks up at least one other football power. I don't want to say who I think it is right now, but there would be some very good football schools in the ACC when/if it happens.

Let's not forget that a conference with FSU, Clemson, VT, ND, Miami and probably one other football power has a chance to be awesome (All teams that have played for the National Championship). The SEC has Alabama, LSU, Georgia, Florida, Tennessee, Auburn that have too but the rest are good, but not great programs. In the long run, the ACC could compete at the same level if they get the right coaches.

PS If the ACC somehow falls apart, I do like our chances of getting into the SEC and in expansion, surprises are pretty frequent.
    Ok...posted my other response before reading this.

And if all this comes to pass, a stable ACC with likely more TV money may lead some schools to invest a bit more in good quality coaches and the programs in general. I hope it works out like this as long as there isn't a crazy difference in money between the conferences.

Hmmm...ok so now I will just try to figure out who that other power is. I do think, however that the sec will be superior still. The rivalry week pretty much sums that up. While I do agree that those acc schools you mentioned did have their hay days, we just can't compete with the sec. You need money to get those coaches...and I don't see the acc getting any kind of combo that would rival what the sec gets. I mean they are so strong that top tier qb's are just walking on there....when they had several other offers. This is where many hokie fans and I part ways....many think we could not compete in the sec. With that hot bed area of the 757, we would do just fine. Same reason a&m will make it and Texas will eventually realize they don't control their state any longer. It's already started to happen there.

I don't share your belief that Miami will ever get close to where they were at one time.

It's my understanding that the P12 did not want BYU last expansion, and nothing has changed to cause them to want BYU now.

Quote Originally Posted by obguthr View Post
    We screwed up by adding Loserville. 14 is a nice number. B1G and SEC are already there. I think they would do well to stay.

P-12 needs two. BYU (national following)and UNLV (big non-pro TV market) would be good pick ups that add value.

Big XII needs four. Loserville and Cincy should be a package deal and would give our dentally challenged neighbors some shorter road trips. Memphis ties those three into the main body of the conference. USF is a huge school, in a big TV market, in FLORIDA. Instead of Louisville, Big XII could take Houston.

Five conferences of 14 teams each can coexist peacefully.