"The Bubble" and "a la cart" argue for further expansion.

I keep reading about a la cart television. There are some very important laws that will have to change before that can happen so we are a long way from that happening.

But for arguments sake let's say it does happen. In that environment the conferences with the most appealing content to sell will make the most money and the conferences will benefit from expanding to increase their offerings. If everything becomes pay-per-view then the business with the most available content will be able to deliver the best set of options. I don't see anyone picking up teams just because the want more teams, this is why BSU as not been added to a big time conference. These conferences are expanding to protect themselves from future losses by ensuring they have quality content in both the current and future models.

Quote Originally Posted by ColumbusHokie View Post
    I keep reading about a la cart television. There are some very important laws that will have to change before that can happen so we are a long way from that happening.

But for arguments sake let's say it does happen. In that environment the conferences with the most appealing content to sell will make the most money and the conferences will benefit from expanding to increase their offerings. If everything becomes pay-per-view then the business with the most available content will be able to deliver the best set of options. I don't see anyone picking up teams just because the want more teams, this is why BSU as not been added to a big time conference. These conferences are expanding to protect themselves from future losses by ensuring they have quality content in both the current and future models.
    That's why Rutgers and MD look like stupid moves long term. Quality content?

I think if/when it gets to PPV then the whole conference thing gets re-tooled. The high tier teams like AL, ND, OSU, MICH, TX etc. will want to stream their home games themselves and keep the money. They won't need a network or conference. PPV and streaming will eventually kill revenue sharing. The only reason these schools might want a conference is for scheduling. They will also have enough clout to kill the conference champ requirement for a playoff. Just my $.02.

Quote Originally Posted by Buy These! View Post
    On a micro level Quality is determined by individual users. In app development you don't consider building something everyone will love, you try to solve a micro level problem. SO, yes UM and RU help the Big Ten in an a la cart world because they appeal to a well defined group of people that are larger than some other groups. If a UM game is an "app" then there are lots of people who want that app on a regular basis than say BSU. RU and UM offer a stable second level of viewership which increases consumption in an a la cart model. The top level of content will always be your super teams like OSU, Alabama, Texas but that alone will not make as much money as a larger collection of well defined markets to supplement programming.

a la carte and pay per view are not the same thing.

There will be a large incentive to play more difficult games - the PPV audience would be much larger and pay much much more for Bama vs. TX than they would Bama vs. Jacksonville State. It will be like boxing - Teams will get together and negotiate how to split the take.

Quote Originally Posted by Beerman View Post
    a la carte and pay per view are not the same thing.
    Yes, I did not intend to confuse the two. However, both models work best when quality inventory is produced through shared resources. Production and distribution costs shared between 16 schools theoretically lessens the financial burden for each school.

I doubt we ever see a day when every school (any school? Maybe a couple) who produces and distributes their own content. I think this is why expansion makes sense regardless of the business model.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Touchdown View Post
    There will be a large incentive to play more difficult games - the PPV audience would be much larger and pay much much more for Bama vs. TX than they would Bama vs. Jacksonville State. It will be like boxing - Teams will get together and negotiate how to split the take.
    Yep.

Quote Originally Posted by Buy These! View Post
    Maryland is broke. They need a short term fix.

Quote Originally Posted by Hamburger View Post
    Maryland is broke. They need a short term fix.
    True, that's why it was just a great move for the Big 10. They were able to pick up a valuable property in a market where few were available. No one thought they would get a significant member of a Big 5 conference to move but they did.

The Big 10 model is a wonderful balance between academics, good teams, and big schools. Right now they are king. Forget about the SEC, they are great at football but not a great conference overall.