Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678
    Quote Originally Posted by SECJesse View Post
    Weaver has no say in what happens. He's a middle manager with huge ego.
    He is the "middle manager" that was told to make a public statement and what was in that statement would have been reviewed by Stegar. What you thought he came up with that all by himself? Making public statements on behalf of the university is part of his job.
    As far as being a middle manager. He is the department head of a department that brings in and spends over 60 million dollars a year. He reports directly to the CEO. In most organizations that would be a senior executive NOT a middle manager.
    But then you've made a judgement that you don't like him so you see everything in that light. That says more about you than it does about him.
    BTW. In all the times that I have met Jim and all the times that we have talked his "big ego" has not shown itself. He is a serious businessman who runs his ship well. He has always been warm and friendly to me and has asked my opinion on a variety of issues.
    I don't always talk to UVa Grads but when I do I always order the Large Fries.

I didn't read the article that way. Seems like VT has left some doors open.

Quote Originally Posted by hokie77 View Post
    Some of Weaver's responses in that article are very disturbing. Sounds like we're staying put regardless of what happens with other ACC members.

http://www.roanoke.com/sports/vtfootball/wb/317718

once the league & tv monies start declining -- monies will dry up & everything else will begin to collapse. His willful negligence or deliberate failure to be proactive in planning for any/all contingencies may lead to his premature demise - not only in forced resignation-- but loss of benefits due to a deliberate lack of due diligence. Same goes for Steger.

Like it or not ----outside of the ivy's ----- college athletics are a major part of the nations culture and a university's reputation and ability to raise essential income. Governments are struggling and are increasingly unwilling or unable to fund colleges & universities. Athletics provides alums the continued opportunity to remain involved with their university and to contribute to its notoriety & success. Name recognition helps pump up an applicants resume and a possible interview talking point. You rarely hear much (if anything) about those schools not involved & successful in the culture of college athletics. VT has experienced and admitted the notoriety and vast amounts of money that has come from their athletic programs for both athletics & academics.

Quote Originally Posted by hokie4ever View Post
    You are likely correct Sted, but Weaver is just a very poor public relations representative foe our fine university.
    I really don't have any problem with JW in that regard. When it comes to the subject of conference affiliation, in public he is going to say exactly what he's been told to say by his bossess in Burruss Hall, which is that we love life in the ACC and have absolutely no interest in ever leaving. Any other AD in similar circumstances would do the exact same thing.

we do - you have a huge ego.

Quote Originally Posted by dna-vt View Post
    once the league & tv monies start declining -- monies will dry up & everything else will begin to collapse. His willful negligence or deliberate failure to be proactive in planning for any/all contingencies may lead to his premature demise - not only in forced resignation-- but loss of benefits due to a deliberate lack of due diligence. Same goes for Steger.

Like it or not ----outside of the ivy's ----- college athletics are a major part of the nations culture and a university's reputation and ability to raise essential income. Governments are struggling and are increasingly unwilling or unable to fund colleges & universities. Athletics provides alums the continued opportunity to remain involved with their university and to contribute to its notoriety & success. Name recognition helps pump up an applicants resume and a possible interview talking point. You rarely hear much (if anything) about those schools not involved & successful in the culture of college athletics. VT has experienced and admitted the notoriety and vast amounts of money that has come from their athletic programs for both athletics & academics.
    The ACC money doesn't HAVE to dry up. There is a crap-ton of potential in ACC football. If Florida State, Clemson, North Carolina, and Virginia Tech will play football at the level we all know they are capable of reaching, the ACC could be a regular player in the national championship race. Add to that a return to prominence for NC State, Pittsburgh, Georgia Tech, Miami, and Syracuse plus the affiliation with Notre Dame (5 games per year and playing everyone in the league at least once every three years is HUGE) and the ACC could become a national football powerhouse conference.

Furthermore, as much as I hate Louisville, they have the financial backing and the commitment from their administration to be competitive in this league. They have the potential to become another Virginia Tech type of football program.
    *.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*. *.*.*.*.*.*

I just wish we would STOP with the zone blocking read option crap and line up in the I, put a hat on a hat and run the tailback behind the fullback through a designated gosh-danged hole. There is NO REASON why this program shouldn't be able to find 5 fat guys who can move some people out of the way and clear a lane for a back to get through!

Quote Originally Posted by Hokie CPA View Post
    The ACC money doesn't HAVE to dry up. There is a crap-ton of potential in ACC football. If Florida State, Clemson, North Carolina, and Virginia Tech will play football at the level we all know they are capable of reaching, the ACC could be a regular player in the national championship race. Add to that a return to prominence for NC State, Pittsburgh, Georgia Tech, Miami, and Syracuse plus the affiliation with Notre Dame (5 games per year and playing everyone in the league at least once every three years is HUGE) and the ACC could become a national football powerhouse conference.

Furthermore, as much as I hate Louisville, they have the financial backing and the commitment from their administration to be competitive in this league. They have the potential to become another Virginia Tech type of football program.
    That's funny. Reads like The Sabre's "wait until next year" or the annual hype for FSU and Miami declaring they are back this year. The ACC simply stinks in football and I do not see that changing any time soon. Fortunately for VT, the Hokies have been in a position to take advantage of the mediocrity of the conference. The addition of Cuse, Pitt, and L'ville only serves to preserve the averageness of the conference.

Quote Originally Posted by Hokie CPA View Post

I agree. From a football perspective, I think the ACC's ceiling is at least as high as the PAC-12's. FSU and Miami's ceiling is as high as anyone's, VT and Clemson are not far behind.

Quote Originally Posted by seekoHoG View Post
    That's funny. Reads like The Sabre's "wait until next year" or the annual hype for FSU and Miami declaring they are back this year.
    Except my post actually some basis in reality. Every program I mentioned either has been to the mountaintop or has all the pieces available to get them there. Every. Single. One.
    *.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*. *.*.*.*.*.*

I just wish we would STOP with the zone blocking read option crap and line up in the I, put a hat on a hat and run the tailback behind the fullback through a designated gosh-danged hole. There is NO REASON why this program shouldn't be able to find 5 fat guys who can move some people out of the way and clear a lane for a back to get through!

You don't need 'sources' - Weaver has been telegraphing our position....

Quote Originally Posted by clemson81nc View Post
    Actually I know nothing more about Clemson in regards to this type of thing then I do VT, I have no internal sources or contacts on the board (of course I can name more players, stats, etc etc, but besides the point).

Do you with VT? Didn't think so.

No, I stated I had a theory. YOU stated factually "Its wrong". OK based on what?
    Weaver has said, in various terms, that VT wants to stay in the ACC as it is currently constituted. I think it was obvious to everyone he was worried about losing FSU and Clemson, because losing Maryland caused barely a ripple.