Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by hokie77 View Post
    Some of Weaver's responses in that article are very disturbing. Sounds like we're staying put regardless of what happens with other ACC members.

http://www.roanoke.com/sports/vtfootball/wb/317718
    This article means absolutely nothing. Back in 2003, both Weaver and Dr. Steger was swearing up & down that we were not interested in leaving the Big East right up until the day that we accepted our invitation to join the ACC.

Nothing has changed. As long as the ACC stays in its current configuration, we will happily remain right where we are. If enough members leave to where the conference's viability as a major player in collegiate athletics is compromised, VT will do what is best for VT. But unless and until that happens, whenever the subject is raised publicly we will pledge our eternal loyalty to the ACC.

Quote Originally Posted by IAHokie View Post
    How can adding Syr/Pitt increase TV money per school - they must have bigger audiences than the avg ACC school - is that correct?
    our original 12 year deal with ESPN which went into effect in 2011-12 was extremely undervalued. So while adding Pitt and 'Cuse did add some value to the overall deal, the real value was giving us the legal right to renegotiate with ESPN only one year into an undervalued contract. most of the new value added as a part of the Pitt and 'Cuse additions was actually just bringing the league contract back up to market value.

adding ND will do the same. i think Swofford is waiting to finalize negotiations with ESPN until after we see what the SEC announces in January with their new TV deal. so while ND will be adding value with their MBB, olympic sports and 2.5 football games/year, Swofford will also try to leverage the new SEC deal to help us get another market adjustment.

If we can launch a conference network with ESPN as a partner as a part of the renegotiation, i would expect the ACC's TV revenue to be on par with the Pac12 on average over the 2015-2025 time period. if we can't, i expect us to be getting roughly $19-20MM per school from ESPN and whatever we get in rev share from Raycom for the ACC Network syndication package which has yet to be disclosed. that last piece could be $1M per school or it could be $5M per school, i have yet to see it shared or projected, so it's anyone's guess...
    "This no more resembles that than something unlike something else resembles that." - Loosely quoting PHNC

Quote Originally Posted by Hokiestud View Post
    This article means absolutely nothing. Back in 2003, both Weaver and Dr. Steger was swearing up & down that we were not interested in leaving the Big East right up until the day that we accepted our invitation to join the ACC
    This is simply not true. Stegner tried to get the other BE presidents to sign a statement of support like the ACC just did and the three ACC targets refused. At that point Steger basically said OK, you want it to be every man for himself? Then it's on, bitches and I've got UVa's vote in my pocket, and if the ACC invites us we're going.

The rest is history.

Heck, even Tranghese said in later years that VT was completely upfront and classy in its actions in 2003 and he had no problem with us.
    Last edited by NC ACC Hokie; Sat Dec 08 2012 at 10:53 AM.

Some of Weaver's responses in that article are very disturbing. Sounds like we're staying put regardless of what happens with other ACC members.

This may not be a popular sentiment here, but I'm glad to see that our AD is grounded and realistic and isn't running with homer sentiments.

Quote Originally Posted by IAHokie View Post
    Didn't Will or someone determine that the extra travel wouldn't eat up much of the extra revenue?
    It's not the cost of the extra travel that's the issue. It's the time involved. This is important from both an athletic and an academic standpoint. Extra travel means more time out of class. This is an issue both for academic progress (we are still a university) and for scholarship numbers (inadequate progress rates equals NCAA sanctions)

Quote Originally Posted by BUGGZY View Post
    our original 12 year deal with ESPN which went into effect in 2011-12 was extremely undervalued. So while adding Pitt and 'Cuse did add some value to the overall deal, the real value was giving us the legal right to renegotiate with ESPN only one year into an undervalued contract. most of the new value added as a part of the Pitt and 'Cuse additions was actually just bringing the league contract back up to market value.

adding ND will do the same. i think Swofford is waiting to finalize negotiations with ESPN until after we see what the SEC announces in January with their new TV deal. so while ND will be adding value with their MBB, olympic sports and 2.5 football games/year, Swofford will also try to leverage the new SEC deal to help us get another market adjustment.

If we can launch a conference network with ESPN as a partner as a part of the renegotiation, i would expect the ACC's TV revenue to be on par with the Pac12 on average over the 2015-2025 time period. if we can't, i expect us to be getting roughly $19-20MM per school from ESPN and whatever we get in rev share from Raycom for the ACC Network syndication package which has yet to be disclosed. that last piece could be $1M per school or it could be $5M per school, i have yet to see it shared or projected, so it's anyone's guess...
    Gotcha, thanks. After rereading, I guess the article just said we would gain money when they join, not because of their value.

Quote Originally Posted by Perfesser View Post
    It's not the cost of the extra travel that's the issue. It's the time involved. This is important from both an athletic and an academic standpoint. Extra travel means more time out of class. This is an issue both for academic progress (we are still a university) and for scholarship numbers (inadequate progress rates equals NCAA sanctions)
    Don't disagree with your thinking, but not what Weaver was saying.

Banned

Umm, what article did you read? 1) Weaver is not the decision maker in conference realignment (that would be the BOV and President); 2) Weaver is about 2-3 years away from retirement; 3) Weaver clearly--CLEARLY--stated that if other teams leave he doesn't know what that will cause VT to do and that he'd prefer not to speculate.

I'm just amazed how someone could read that article and conclude the exact opposite of what was said.

This says so much about vt plan for athletics

First this says other than cosmetics no enlargement or major improvements to lane; it says indoor practice field is iffy; no improvements to cassel ; the baseball stadium is just what it is no commit,want to raise it to level of UVA unc fsu Clemson etc further whenever weaver retires vt will not meet a competitive salary structure of a bcs school. It's going to be hard to keep our basketball coach if he is successful because vt will not match salary demands. Further schedule of football will be regional and no future schedule across the nation. Also it Implies recruit in avg football area of va therefore no national big lineman, or players. And just wait Louisville is prepared to shoot to the moon and leave us behind. We are evolving to the miss state of the acc. Please take down the trophy case for the bcs trophy. My question is for medicority why are we have such high ticket prices for football and basketball games

Before the first ACC contract negotiation, I thought I read that ACC football and basketball games received better TV ratings (viewership) than Big 12 and PAC 10 football and basketball games. Does anyone else remember this?

Also, I really don't like hearing Weaver say Tech's facilities are second-rate compared to the SEC. I do not care if it is true. He does not need to be saying it publically. I certainly hope the coaches do not express that opinion as part of their recruiting pitches (and somehow I bet they don't).