"The Dude's" true motive..... possibly explained.

I've always taken "The Dude's" information with a grain of salt. Although a lot of his information seems plausible, my current view is the ACC is not nearly as weak as the Big-12 twitter posse portray's them. However, I will admit, with one more defection, this whole jenga piece could come crashing down.

I have always thought that most of his posts revolve around two simple truths:

1) WVU hates the ACC because supposedly the NC mafia of the ACC blackballed WVU because of their lower academic status when we were looking at expanding and ultimately took Pitt and Syracuse.

2) WVU and the smaller Big 12 schools are worried that the Big 12 is not as stable as they would lead you all to believe. If Texas and OU ever decided to leave the conference, they (specifically WVU) may be left out of this whole thing....thus if they push the narrative that the ACC is the one that is weak, and cause uneasiness with big time boosters, maybe they could poach some big name schools (FSU, Miami, GT, NCSU?) and then the conference would flourish. And by expanding and they would have a place secure in the new top 4 mega conferences, while seeing their hated rival the ACC fail. Win-win all the way around.

So I was reading twitter this morning and came across the conversation "The Dude" had with Andy Staples.....see the bottom part in bold.

Andy StaplesVerified ‏@Andy_Staples
    Delany on expansion: "We thought there was more risk in embracing the status quo."

1h The Dude of WV ‏@theDudeofWV
    @Andy_Staples Please tell Bowlsby: "We thought there was more risk in embracing the status quo."

1h Andy StaplesVerified ‏@Andy_Staples
    @theDudeofWV Bowlsby isn't embracing the status quo. Current mainstream thinking is "Get bigger." Would be dumb for Big 12 to do that.

@Andy_Staples It would be dumb for the B12 not to expand its footprint southeast... as if FSU, Clemson & Miami.

@theDudeofWV No way to create a conference network. Schools would have to take pay cuts.

58m The Dude of WV ‏@theDudeofWV
    @Andy_Staples That's short-term thinking. If Fox/ESPN can work out a deal for the SEC then ESPN & Texas could work out a deal with the LHN.

58m Andy StaplesVerified ‏@Andy_Staples
    @theDudeofWV Fox has nothing to do with the SEC. Their net will be wholly owned by ESPN, which owns those rights.

57m The Dude of WV ‏@theDudeofWV
    @Andy_Staples I meant CBS. Sorry. I'm sure they could work out a deal to share content with the LHN and a B12 network.

56m Andy StaplesVerified ‏@Andy_Staples
    @theDudeofWV CBS buys 14 games a year. ESPN has everything else.

55m The Dude of WV ‏@theDudeofWV
    @Andy_Staples So why couldn't a regional B12 network buy content for the LHN to make it viable? Especially with FSU, Clemson etc.

54m Andy StaplesVerified ‏@Andy_Staples
    @theDudeofWV And if you don't have the Texas and OU content, you have no network.

50m The Dude of WV ‏@theDudeofWV
    @Andy_Staples More importantly if the B12 would pass on adding 4-6 ACC schools the ACC would swallow them up in 2024 when the GoR expires

49m Andy StaplesVerified ‏@Andy_Staples
    @theDudeofWV Texas and OU don't get swallowed.

The Dude of WV
    ‏@theDudeofWV
    @Andy_Staples If Texas & Oklahoma want the Big 12 to survive they need understand a strong & healthy Big 12 is strong & healthy UT & OU.

Again, I appreciate "The Dude's" information. It's like reading People Magazine. Shades of grey, nuggets of truth, however, always be aware, there is another motive at play here.

This is a battle between the Big-12 and the ACC for the last spot at the table. Is the ACC as weak as they potray? Or is the Big 12 really the weak one? I guess we'll find out.

Quote Originally Posted by Morgantownhokie88 View Post
    I've always taken "The Dude's" information with a grain of salt. Although a lot of his information seems plausible, my current view is the ACC is not nearly as weak as the Big-12 twitter posse portray's them. However, I will admit, with one more defection, this whole jenga piece could come crashing down.

1) WVU hates the ACC because supposedly the NC mafia of the ACC blackballed WVU because of their lower academic status when we were looking at expanding and ultimately took Pitt and Syracuse.

2) WVU and the smaller Big 12 schools are worried that the Big 12 is not as stable as they would lead you all to believe. If Texas and OU ever decided to leave the conference, they (specifically WVU) may be left out of this whole thing....thus if they push the narrative that the ACC is the one that is weak, and cause uneasiness with big time boosters, maybe they could poach some big name schools (FSU, Miami, GT, NCSU?) and then the conference would flourish. And by expanding and they would have a place secure in the new top 4 mega conferences, while seeing their hated rival the ACC fail. Win-win all the way around.

So I was reading twitter this morning and came across the conversation "The Dude" had with Andy Staples.....see the bottom part in bold.

Delany on expansion: "We thought there was more risk in embracing the status quo."

@Andy_Staples Please tell Bowlsby: "We thought there was more risk in embracing the status quo."

@theDudeofWV Bowlsby isn't embracing the status quo. Current mainstream thinking is "Get bigger." Would be dumb for Big 12 to do that.

@Andy_Staples It would be dumb for the B12 not to expand its footprint southeast... as if FSU, Clemson & Miami.

@theDudeofWV No way to create a conference network. Schools would have to take pay cuts.

@Andy_Staples That's short-term thinking. If Fox/ESPN can work out a deal for the SEC then ESPN & Texas could work out a deal with the LHN.

@theDudeofWV Fox has nothing to do with the SEC. Their net will be wholly owned by ESPN, which owns those rights.

@Andy_Staples I meant CBS. Sorry. I'm sure they could work out a deal to share content with the LHN and a B12 network.

@Andy_Staples So why couldn't a regional B12 network buy content for the LHN to make it viable? Especially with FSU, Clemson etc.

@theDudeofWV And if you don't have the Texas and OU content, you have no network.

@Andy_Staples More importantly if the B12 would pass on adding 4-6 ACC schools the ACC would swallow them up in 2024 when the GoR expires

The Dude of WV
    ‏@theDudeofWV
    @Andy_Staples If Texas & Oklahoma want the Big 12 to survive they need understand a strong & healthy Big 12 is strong & healthy UT & OU.

Again, I appreciate "The Dude's" information. It's like reading People Magazine. Shades of grey, nuggets of truth, however, always be aware, there is another motive at play here.

This is a battle between the Big-12 and the ACC for the last spot at the table. Is the ACC as weak as they potray? Or is the Big 12 really the weak one? I guess we'll find out.
    Hate to say it, but as of right now the Big 12 is getting it done on the field where it counts compared to the ACC who is a laughing stock.

If this is all about a "last spot" at the table the ACC has the advantages over the Big 12:
    1. Geography and population: Big 12 has the state of Texas but that is about it. The ACC has FL, GA, NC, VA, PA, NY, and MA. The ACC's smallest populated state, Kentucky, is larger than Oklahoma, Iowa, and Kansas. If TV money is driving realignment, the ACC's footprint is more valuable than the Big 12's. The Big 12 is also geographically located where the Pac 12, Big 10, and SEC could each take 2 to 4 teams. For example, Kansas and Iowa State to the Big 10; Texas, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech to the SEC or Pac 12. As far as population and economic growth, the ACC footprint will continue to experience growth for years to come. I don't see the same for Iowa, Kansas, and West Virginia.
    2. Number of members: The ACC is an east coast oriented conference that balances off the Pac 12's west coast members. The ACC has 14 (+1) members along with Big 10 and SEC. Those 3 conferences have been "the most aggressive" of the 5 major conferences during expansion.
    3. Stability: The ACC has lost one member. The Big 12 has lost 4 members. The Big 12 is still controlled by Texas. Texas' special treatment is the reason Texas A&M, Nebraska, Missouri, and Colorado left. Maryland left the ACC because they had a new pro-Big 10 president and a financially strapped athletic department. Meanwhile rumors of FSU, Clemson, Georgia Tech, and VT have been vehemently denied publicly by their presidents on numerous occasions. The Big 12 doesn't want to expand because 2 more teams could decrease the money each team is receiving annually which could have teams moving again.

If the 4 super conferences ever become a reality, I see it looking something like this. It may be four conferences made up of 16, 18, or 20 members. Who knows? If it does go to 16, 18 or 20, then the 4 conferences SEC may have to take a few schools that are less desirable. The Big 10 may have to take a Cincinnati, Kanas State, and Iowa State. The ACC may have to end up taking a South Florida and West Virginia. The SEC could end up with Texas, both Oklahoma schools and even a Texas Tech. The Pac # would find it difficult to find 18 members simply due to population/geography and end up adding Big East, Mountain West and Big 12 leftovers like TCU, Baylor, Boise State, and San Diego State to get to the magical "18." I agree with Stech that there will be more than 64 teams. It will be more like 72 or 80 teams in order to make more schools happy. 20 may be the final nuumber since each super conference can be divided into four 5 team pods.

Here's what the 4 super conferences "could" look like. All of the present (2012) AQ BCS schools made the cut.

Agree. Also add that he doesn't like WVU being on an island and it will eventually catch up to them in recruiting and fan interest. All is (kinda) well now because the Big 12's depth is peaking and there is newness to these match-ups.

The Dude of WV
    ‏@theDudeofWV

His posts can be entertaining. He is sort of like the National Enquirer for football realignment. I used to believe some of what he said but if you follow him enough he gets very emotional if someone points out his mistakes. It makes me think he has an ulterior motive. He's smart though. People are obsessed with realignment and he is an outlet to feed people's interests.

Also, I don't know what the supposed "insiders" would trust regular Joe blogger. If you are a true insider I think you would be feeding info to respected journalists.