Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 913141516171819
    We should put stinespring at OL coach where he was from 1999-2003 years when we ran people over

You have a short memory. We STRUGGLED with Stiney as OL/OC. People were excited for the Newsome hire for this very reason. Finally, here was someone who could improve our line play! It didn't work out that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Vthokie725 View Post
    We should put stinespring at OL coach where he was from 1999-2003 years when we ran people over

It's also called, understanding recruiting geography. ODU is located in the heart of a talent rich football region, which is a major advantage or them. Doesn't mean that they don't have good coaches, but they certainly have material to work with.

Quote Originally Posted by vtdavis4321 View Post
    It's called understanding History, kind of like the problem now in Blacksburg. Historically, the guy right now simply does not do well, period....give him the All Americans like Randall, Vick 2, Tyrod, Glennon, and still, he has a history that simply does not do well. Therefore, do the opposite to fix the problem. Look at some team with a history of offensive success for that given coach or OC, and based on history and performance, hire him.

Number two, the best recruiting tool is the product on the field. You can be a car salesman and be the greatest "convincing person" of all time, but if you sale "shi""y cars, you aren't going to be a good salesman. This is Stinespring in the area of recruiting now. His product is no good. The opposite is true for ODU. They have done well offensively and kids want to play for a product that is good, so recruiting gets a bit easier when you field a good product and system on the field.

except I never said there would not be changes, it's just not my decision and I have no input on the subject and I could care less who the assistant coaches are. You bring up FSU, so was it Daddy bowden or the players, what have they done since bowden was forced out? but hey changing coaches makes it all better, i got it

I simply, do not leave it up to Frank. Fans left it up to Coach Beamer for a decade. The decade is up. I think this is the general consensus and if there are changes, then obviously, somebody else has thought to themselves....."it's no longer up to Frank." I say this because I agree with you, there will be no changes whatsoever, but if there is, when we get to the bottom of the story, I will guarantee you it's from powers higher than Coach Beamer. He's not going to make changes. Thankfully, fans and the administration now recognize that.

Quote Originally Posted by Vthokie725 View Post
    And we couldn't pass block... Stiney is a recruiter and a TE coach, nothing more.

Congrats. This is now the most replied-to thread in TSL TOB history.
    Quote Originally Posted by psychobilly View Post
    Your posts ... are money. I read them all.

Quote Originally Posted by 48zip View Post
    It would seem that academic funding would rise as frustrated sports fans would re-direct their donations. That seemed to be the talk here at that time.
    Unfortunately, that was not the case. We saw first hand that when people decided to stop giving money to VT because of Stiney, they cut off ALL funding. That included both the Hokie Club as well as academic fundraising. We had a script formed for the sole reason to try and reason with them that academic giving was in absolutely no way related to the football team, or any athletic spending, but it didn't matter, people had their minds made up and weren't going to listen.

I am not sure about the BIG money donors (we generally only dealt with people who were giving less than $1k a pop) so I don't know where the big money donations went, and if that changed at all, but there was definitely a lot of money cumulatively lost for academia directly because of the stagnant offense.

Cool Doug Wilder?????????

You are spot on and I agree with you. It's the same old mold of thinking that is the reason we have the problem today. Bottom line is....when will Weaver and Beamer submit? When will they SUBMIT? That means....go outside of ANY connection to Blacksburg and get someone NOT affiliated with Virginia Tech as an offensive coordinator. We have a history of showing that we simply don't play well in the offensive game of chess. There is simply little knowledge offensively in Blacksburg, VA, or affiliated with it compared to what is in the other 119 FBS programs and all the FCS programs. Think of it like the 12 step alcoholic program and step one.......ADMIT you have a problem. In summary, admit you have been a dumb arse, period. Tony Franklin is still a connection, a tie, a link, a "tool" that still gives Beamer, that power grasp. This is what you don't want. Get a guy with no ties, that knows what he's doing, and feasible. A guy that we could actually get. Wilder or Scott is that option, literally, only a few hours from Blacksburg and in the same state lies the answer.
    He has no ties to the program

Quote Originally Posted by NCHokie83 View Post
    Unfortunately, that was not the case. We saw first hand that when people decided to stop giving money to VT because of Stiney, they cut off ALL funding. That included both the Hokie Club as well as academic fundraising. We had a script formed for the sole reason to try and reason with them that academic giving was in absolutely no way related to the football team, or any athletic spending, but it didn't matter, people had their minds made up and weren't going to listen.

I am not sure about the BIG money donors (we generally only dealt with people who were giving less than $1k a pop) so I don't know where the big money donations went, and if that changed at all, but there was definitely a lot of money cumulatively lost for academia directly because of the stagnant offense.
    My wife dealt with the big money donors in one of the Colleges, and you would be surprised at the number of those people who thought if they gave 6 or 7 figures to the academic side of things that they were entitled to tickets to every football game. She listened to a lot of berating from folks who simply didn't understand the two were mutually exclusive. Now the College held a certain number of tickets to give away to donors, but once those were gone they were gone. However, during the more recent years there have been a lot of games where they couldn't even give all the tickets away. I've ended up sitting in a lot of club seats the last few years.
    "It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first." Ronald Reagan