Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Hokie CPA View Post
    Cuse was playing decent football right up to the time Donovan McNabb left and Pasqualoni was shown the door. They were always in the Big East title hunt before then.
    Guess I was thinking on a national MNC level of play. My bust.
    "You start a conversation you can't even finish it
    You're talkin' a lot, but you're not sayin' anything
    When I have nothing to say, my lips are sealed
    Say something once, why say it again?"
    - David Byrne

In 2003 it was an offensive move that should have worked out better. In 2012, those have been defensive moves where his options were much more limited.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgeman View Post
    You left out the part where his next move was to add two basketball schools, then make a special exception where NC can park all of their non-revenue sports in the ACC...and we play them for the opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by Late 80s Hokie View Post
    In 2003 it was an offensive move that should have worked out better. In 2012, those have been defensive moves where his options were much more limited.
    Even in 2003, the thought was to bring in three small private schools. VT crashed the party, but the private schools were still in charge for the most part.

Too many folks that were not there in the seventies and eighties. It was a different time. tv was not that big an influential issue. the bowls were selected based on hand shakes not just tv market share. Acc was highly respected like the sec. WAC was very good. There was no mountain west they were in the WAC. Half the bowls now were not there . There was no bcs structure at all..

Simply teams went to bowls and there was an and upi poll and highest ranked was no 1 .it was a simpler time where no external folks getting their two cents worth

I
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatSmokieHokie View Post
    Even in 2003, the thought was to bring in three small private schools. VT crashed the party, but the private schools were still in charge for the most part.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
    Too many folks that were not there in the seventies and eighties. It was a different time. tv was not that big an influential issue. the bowls were selected based on hand shakes not just tv market share. Acc was highly respected like the sec. WAC was very good. There was no mountain west they were in the WAC. Half the bowls now were not there . There was no bcs structure at all..

Simply teams went to bowls and there was an and upi poll and highest ranked was no 1 .it was a simpler time where no external folks getting their two cents worth

I
    And everybody knew their neighbors and never locked their doors and... oh yeah, and the teams that weren't football royalty knew their place and stayed there.

I was around then. After graduating from VT and moving to NC, it was a huge effort to keep up with even the basics of VT football. Had to scan the agate type in the back of the sports page in Sunday's paper to find our scores. Then Sports Center came along and I could stay up late and watch the "other teams" scores scrolling by at the end hoping to catch our score. And remember, I was living in NC, within four hours of the VT campus.

VT was NEVER on TV unless playing an ACC team and that game got chosen for the JP broadcast, which was never. Even if we played a top 10 team, no TV... when we upset #9 WVU that game wasn't televised, had to wait for a Tuesday rebroadcast to see it.

The CFA controlled all college football TV and only the teams that were already marquee teams could get on TV. VT could NOT have moved up like we did in that old "collegial" environment. We have benefited immensely from the changes in the landscape, and need to keep that in mind as we stress over the drawbacks of the new world of college football media and economics.

To put it bluntly, without the changes some of us now decry, would be ECU today. (In the 1980s we were peers and you could argue they were ahead of us).

Yeah, I can't argue with that one. The "Private School" bit is a big part of what keeps the ACC from being more successful. But if you consider the teams they ended up with then, you gotta admit that it should have worked out better.

I don't the the reason we brought in Pitt and Cuse was to bring in new bball schools. While that may have played a role in why they were invited, I think it was done to destabalize the BE and cause ND to look around and it did just that.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgeman View Post
    You left out the part where his next move was to add two basketball schools, then make a special exception where NC can park all of their non-revenue sports in the ACC...and we play them for the opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by Late 80s Hokie View Post
    Yeah, I can't argue with that one. The "Private School" bit is a big part of what keeps the ACC from being more successful. But if you consider the teams they ended up with then, you gotta admit that it should have worked out better.
    The ACC move in 2003 was football focused, but it was very myopic in scope; get to 12 and have a playoff game. There wasn't really much consideration over the teams involved, just get to 12.

Miami has been a huge disappointment. The ACC bought them at the top of the market and I'm not sure they will ever recover. FSU has been a disappointment since 2004. Clemson is Clemson.

The fact remains that it's just too costly for a private school to support 85 scholarships, a large stadium and a first-rate coaching staff.

The fact remains that it's just too costly for a private school to support 85 scholarships, a large stadium and a first-rate coaching staff.
    Unless that private school is Notre Dame?

Quote Originally Posted by NC ACC Hokie View Post
    Unless that private school is Notre Dame?
    Or USC.