Quote Originally Posted by NC ACC Hokie View Post
    Or Stanford
    or Duke.
    "You start a conversation you can't even finish it
    You're talkin' a lot, but you're not sayin' anything
    When I have nothing to say, my lips are sealed
    Say something once, why say it again?"
    - David Byrne

The ACC has been hexed since we joined!! If it weren't for bad luck, we'd have no luck at all.... that has been the story of the ACC since 2004. The new TV contracts with the ACC slumping has been the worst timing of all. Had Miami been the Miami of 2003 and before, and FSU been FSU of 2000 and before, we would be looking at $$$$. Swofford and the ACC made a smart move at the time to get Miami - they had been pretty darn good since 1981. Who knew they would tank? Same for FSU - they had been good for 20+ years as well. The ACC has been a huge disappointment to me. I remember being so excited to getting in. Looking back at the Big East games from 1995 to 2003, our football games seemed so much more exciting. I remembered hating to go to Syracuse in that wacky dome, and Pitt gave me heartburn. And the WVU and Miami games...always a pulse for those.... The excitement just hasn't been there for me in the ACC....blah.

Quote Originally Posted by HokieMJL View Post
    The ACC has been hexed since we joined!! If it weren't for bad luck, we'd have no luck at all.... that has been the story of the ACC since 2004. The new TV contracts with the ACC slumping has been the worst timing of all. Had Miami been the Miami of 2003 and before, and FSU been FSU of 2000 and before, we would be looking at $$$$. Swofford and the ACC made a smart move at the time to get Miami - they had been pretty darn good since 1981. Who knew they would tank? Same for FSU - they had been good for 20+ years as well. The ACC has been a huge disappointment to me. I remember being so excited to getting in. Looking back at the Big East games from 1995 to 2003, our football games seemed so much more exciting. I remembered hating to go to Syracuse in that wacky dome, and Pitt gave me heartburn. And the WVU and Miami games...always a pulse for those.... The excitement just hasn't been there for me in the ACC....blah.
    I hate to admit there is much wisdom here.

Quote Originally Posted by NC ACC Hokie View Post
    Or Stanford
    or Miami (pending NCAA sanctions and "being back")

or TCU

it may not be easy, but private schools CAN be successful.

Duke may be the Stanford of the East in 10 years with all the money they are dumping into their football facilities and program right now. 'Cuse could be relevant again with ACC revenue at their disposal.
    "This no more resembles that than something unlike something else resembles that." - Loosely quoting PHNC

Quote Originally Posted by BUGGZY View Post
    or Miami (pending NCAA sanctions and "being back")

or TCU

it may not be easy, but private schools CAN be successful.

Duke may be the Stanford of the East in 10 years with all the money they are dumping into their football facilities and program right now. 'Cuse could be relevant again with ACC revenue at their disposal.
    Miami is in a unique position where they could build a MNC quality team by only recruiting three counties in their immediate vacinity, specifically Dade, Broward, & PBC. Except for USC in the LA area, there probably isn't a private school perched atop so much football talent.
    - David Byrne

Quote Originally Posted by HokieMJL View Post
    Was the ACC that good in football before we joined? I'm specifically talking about everyone but FSU. Other than UNC being pretty good when they had Big-TX's current coach, and Clemson back in the Woody Hayes days, who in the ACC has demonstrated themselves to be a good program? FSU tanking this last decade has been their only true decline...and it was a doozy!

scUM should be a world beater, but they have sucked for about a decade. Sanctions aren't going to help them escape a massive beatdown. Who am I kidding? UNC had a coach (not a booster) funneling cash to their players and they escaped with a slap on the wrist. Miami will probably lose a couple of scholly & bowls...lol
    - David Byrne

In all fairness, Pitt and Syr are more committed to football than 2/3 of the ACC

Quote Originally Posted by Edgeman View Post
    Make that, the last three decades. I think Dan Marino led the last decent Pitt squad in the early 80s, and I think Syracuse's last decent football team was a half century ago...
    Whether or not it shows on the field is another thing. Pitt has now had 5 coaches in 3 years. They started slow but played very well down the stretch. Syr has won 5 of last 6 and even won at Mizzou, an SEC school. Funny how Bama and other SEC school get Mizzou hyped when they win there but when Syr does, media gets quiet. It's our new members that have made bigger impacts than the regular losers...Pitt coach stays at Pitt and turns down B1G school and Louisville coach turns down SEC school. That's big stuff. Good for them.