Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

1970s and 1980s and the ACC

Was the ACC considered a major football conference?

Traditionally

Rose - Big10/Pac 10
    Cotton - Southwest
    Orange - Big 12
    Sugar - SEC

Before Florida State joined, the ACC was a tier 2 league. I remember Clemson going to the Orange in 81 and thinking - Clemson in the Orange - they are in the ACC they shouldn't be in a big bowl. I don't remember another ACC in the big New Years Day bowls.

It is not like the ACC was a traditional football league. FSU joined and the league gained access in the new format.

But the ACC has always struggled in football.

It seems like we have come full circle.

Quote Originally Posted by RespondHokie89 View Post

Traditionally

Rose - Big10/Pac 10
    Cotton - Southwest
    Orange - Big 12
    Sugar - SEC

Before Florida State joined, the ACC was a tier 2 league. I remember Clemson going to the Orange in 81 and thinking - Clemson in the Orange - they are in the ACC they shouldn't be in a big bowl. I don't remember another ACC in the big New Years Day bowls.

It is not like the ACC was a traditional football league. FSU joined and the league gained access in the new format.

Until 1978, all division 1 schools played under one roof. Divison 1-AA was formed in 1978 to give the smaller schools a chance to compete on a level playing field. Since the ACC didn't drop to 1-AA, then it wasn't considered a "minor" conference IMHO. Football TV money wasn't driving Divison 1 athletics back in those days either. The more successful programs had big stadiums, wealthy boosters, and loyal fans who "funded" their football teams. I think the Southwest Conference benefited the most from those "funds."LOL The Big 8 had Oklahoma and Nebraska. The Pac 8 had USC-UCLA. Washington was good too. As a teenager during the mid 70's early 1980's, I remember Georgia and Alabama ruling the SEC. The Southwest Conference was very good, but corrupt as hell, with Texas, Texas A&M, SMU, Arkansas, and Houston. Penn State, Pitt, Miami (later in the 1970's, mostly '80's), and Notre Dame were the better Independents. There must have been over 30 major Independents back then. The Big 10 was pretty much like it is now with Michigan and Ohio State. Purdue had a few good teams back then too. Clemson and Maryland (Claiborne and Ross eras) were good in the ACC. Even Duke had a few good teams with Steve Spurrier. So I would say things haven't really changed that much as far as what teams "rule" their conferences. FSU and VT helped strengthen the ACC but overall the ACC is still below the SEC, Pac #, BIG, and Big 12 (SWC/Big 8) conferences as they were 30-40 years ago.

Traditionally

Rose - Big10/Pac 10
    Cotton - Southwest
    Orange - Big 12
    Sugar - SEC

Before FSU joined, the ACC was on the same level as the 1980's WAC/current MWC- solid, but a step below the Big Four. The ACC would not have been part of the Bowl Alliance/BCS without FSU, just as the Big East would not have been either without Miami.
    BCS level college football is a resource war, not a morality play.

Traditionally

Rose - Big10/Pac 10
    Cotton - Southwest
    Orange - Big 12
    Sugar - SEC

The Big XII didn't exist before 1996, I think it was? It was formed after SMU was handed the Death Penalty and then Arkansas left the Southwest Conference for the SEC. The SWC floundered for a couple of more years until Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech and Baylor joined the Big 8 to form the Big XII. The SWC then folded, leaving SMU, TCU, and Rice out in the cold. SMU and Rice joined up with the Great Midwest and Metro Independents -- and Conference USA was born.
    *.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*. *.*.*.*.*.*

I just wish we would STOP with the zone blocking read option crap and line up in the I, put a hat on a hat and run the tailback behind the fullback through a designated gosh-danged hole. There is NO REASON why this program shouldn't be able to find 5 fat guys who can move some people out of the way and clear a lane for a back to get through!

Orange - Big 8 - same thing applies. ACC didn't have a seat at the big bowl table until the bcs

Traditionally

Rose - Big10/Pac 10
    Cotton - Southwest
    Orange - Big 12
    Sugar - SEC

You're 100% correct. Actually, your post is one reason why John Swofford and ACC leadership isn't as dumb as we think he is. He saw that even with FSU, the ACC didn't have a tie in to those big bowl games. He saw that football was going to drive the revenue train, so he pushed for expansion, and wanted to add FOOTBALL programs.

Sadly, once VT, Miami and BC were added, FSU, Miami and Clemson started taking a dump, and BC started to slide as well, while the other schools with potential (UNC, NC State) never bothered to actually rise up. Now a conference that did/does have some excellent football potential is mired with a bad reputation just at the time where TV revenue, based on the quality of your football product, is exploding.

Quote Originally Posted by Late 80s Hokie View Post
    You're 100% correct. Actually, your post is one reason why John Swofford and ACC leadership isn't as dumb as we think he is. He saw that even with FSU, the ACC didn't have a tie in to those big bowl games. He saw that football was going to drive the revenue train, so he pushed for expansion, and wanted to add FOOTBALL programs.

Sadly, once VT, Miami and BC were added, FSU, Miami and Clemson started taking a dump, and BC started to slide as well, while the other schools with potential (UNC, NC State) never bothered to actually rise up. Now a conference that did/does have some excellent football potential is mired with a bad reputation just at the time where TV revenue, based on the quality of your football product, is exploding.
    You left out the part where his next move was to add two basketball schools, then make a special exception where NC can park all of their non-revenue sports in the ACC...and we play them for the opportunity.
    "You start a conversation you can't even finish it
    You're talkin' a lot, but you're not sayin' anything
    When I have nothing to say, my lips are sealed
    Say something once, why say it again?"
    - David Byrne

Quote Originally Posted by Edgeman View Post
    You left out the part where his next move was to add two basketball schools, then make a special exception where NC can park all of their non-revenue sports in the ACC...and we play them for the opportunity.
    Why you all keep characterizing SYR and Pitt as basketball schools is beyond me. Are you simply very young and have no knowledge of history beyond the last decade?

Quote Originally Posted by Buy These! View Post
    Why you all keep characterizing SYR and Pitt as basketball schools is beyond me. Are you simply very young and have no knowledge of history beyond the last decade?
    Make that, the last three decades. I think Dan Marino led the last decent Pitt squad in the early 80s, and I think Syracuse's last decent football team was a half century ago...
    "You start a conversation you can't even finish it
    You're talkin' a lot, but you're not sayin' anything
    When I have nothing to say, my lips are sealed
    Say something once, why say it again?"
    - David Byrne

Quote Originally Posted by Edgeman View Post
    Make that, the last three decades. I think Dan Marino led the last decent Pitt squad in the early 80s, and I think Syracuse's last decent football team was a half century ago...
    Cuse was playing decent football right up to the time Donovan McNabb left and Pasqualoni was shown the door. They were always in the Big East title hunt before then.
    *.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*. *.*.*.*.*.*

I just wish we would STOP with the zone blocking read option crap and line up in the I, put a hat on a hat and run the tailback behind the fullback through a designated gosh-danged hole. There is NO REASON why this program shouldn't be able to find 5 fat guys who can move some people out of the way and clear a lane for a back to get through!