Thread: What's next

What's next

The dynamics that started all this conference realignment a few years ago are still in place - 1 too many "major conferences and ND as an indy. So, in spite of what the GT Pres said yesterday,

Here is what I think may happen:

(1) GT still announces for the B1G soon - the money delta between ACC and B1G is too big to turn down. Who in their right mind would turn down an offer from the B1G - yes maybe UVA and UNC don't need an extra $15M/yr but every other program could sure use that extra money.
    (2) If GT holds tight for now than look for the B1G to increase the pressure - maybe offer BC.
    (3) Somehow the ACC pulls a rabbit out of their hat and gets ND to join on acceptable terms - not very likely.
    (4) Maybe the SEC says OK, while adding FSU is not ideal, it is a price we are willing to pay to break the logjam with the ACC - ie we will add FSU to get into VA/NC markets.

Quote Originally Posted by 133193Hokie View Post
    The dynamics that started all this conference realignment a few years ago are still in place - 1 too many "major conferences and ND as an indy. So, in spite of what the GT Pres said yesterday,

Here is what I think may happen:

(1) GT still announces for the B1G soon - the money delta between ACC and B1G is too big to turn down. Who in their right mind would turn down an offer from the B1G - yes maybe UVA and UNC don't need an extra $15M/yr but every other program could sure use that extra money.
    (2) If GT holds tight for now than look for the B1G to increase the pressure - maybe offer BC.
    (3) Somehow the ACC pulls a rabbit out of their hat and gets ND to join on acceptable terms - not very likely.
    (4) Maybe the SEC says OK, while adding FSU is not ideal, it is a price we are willing to pay to break the logjam with the ACC - ie we will add FSU to get into VA/NC markets.
    I guess whatever happens next will be the start of the cookie crumbling. All bets are off if someone else leaves the ACC. Stech seems to think we'll be all right no matter what. I hope he is right.
    Never limit your intercession for the lost.

Quote Originally Posted by padre pupitre View Post
    I guess whatever happens next will be the start of the cookie crumbling. All bets are off if someone else leaves the ACC. Stech seems to think we'll be all right no matter what. I hope he is right.
    The SEC will not "react" and take FSU, in my opinion. They already have the CFB market in Florida and Florida wouldn't allow it (Florida is SEC all the way). The SEC will not take Duke, regardless of what people say about UNC "demanding" that they be included in the package (if they're going to let ANY university dictate terms, it would Texas or Notre Dame, not UNC). People saying that there will be two teams eventually from the state of North Carolina in the SEC are crazy. If they wanted two teams from a state, they would force the issue in Florida or Texas ... not North Carolina (where people care more about basketball).

I think the BCS sent a clear message last evening with Northern Illinois to the Orange Bowl instead of Oklahoma. Everyone keeps talking about super conferences with a finite number of selected schools at the big boy table but I can't see it happening without a fight from the other 60 to 70 FBS schools that will be left out. NIU, who lost to 4-8 Iowa, made it over Oklahoma. Never had a 1 loss non-BCS automatic qualifer school made it into a BCS bowl before. That was a huge statement last night.

As for the BIG's expansion of Rutgers and Maryland, the BIG was concerned that Rutgers would be taken off the table to become the ACC's 16th member "if" Notre Dame ever joined the ACC. Rutgers was the last hope for the NYC televison market for the BIG's BTN. The BIG was blindsided by Syracuse's move to the ACC in 2011. Maryland, on the other hand, had a pro-BIG president who wanted a cultural (association with CIC member schools) and financial (BIG athletic money and CIC research money) change for his school. Maryland's athletic department's financial problems and President Wallace Loh's infatuation with the BIG created the "perfect storm" that Jim Delany was always hoping for. I also believe that Delany felt threatened by the ACC's last 3 expansion moves (Pitt in a BIG state, NYC market options for his BTN becoming limited with Syracuse's move to the ACC, and Notre Dame saying "no" to the BIG after 2 failed attempts to get them to join).

The BIG will find it much more difficult from this point on to pry away another school from the ACC. I'm not saying it's not possible, but Maryland was easy pickings as was Rutgers from the Big East who had no other realistic options but to remain in the Big East hell forever.

Huh? The "clear message" was that a system was set up in advance where if a non-BCS conference champ finishes in the top 16 and is ranked higher than an AQ school, then they get a bid. That was the only "message" - that we're following the system and the rules that are in place.

Sure, it's stupid that a team that lost at home to 4-8 Iowa and beat nobody of consequence is in the top 16, but that's the system we have.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Line Hokie View Post
    I think the BCS sent a clear message last evening with Northern Illinois to the Orange Bowl instead of Oklahoma. Everyone keeps talking about super conferences with a finite number of selected schools at the big boy table but I can't see it happening without a fight from the other 60 to 70 FBS schools that will be left out. NIU, who lost to 4-8 Iowa, made it over Oklahoma. Never had a 1 loss non-BCS automatic qualifer school made it into a BCS bowl before. That was a huge statement last night.

As for the BIG's expansion of Rutgers and Maryland, the BIG was concerned that Rutgers would be taken off the table to become the ACC's 16th member "if" Notre Dame ever joined the ACC. Rutgers was the last hope for the NYC televison market for the BIG's BTN. The BIG was blindsided by Syracuse's move to the ACC in 2011. Maryland, on the other hand, had a pro-BIG president who wanted a cultural (association with CIC member schools) and financial (BIG athletic money and CIC research money) change for his school. Maryland's athletic department's financial problems and President Wallace Loh's infatuation with the BIG created the "perfect storm" that Jim Delany was always hoping for. I also believe that Delany felt threatened by the ACC's last 3 expansion moves (Pitt in a BIG state, NYC market options for his BTN becoming limited with Syracuse's move to the ACC, and Notre Dame saying "no" to the BIG after 2 failed attempts to get them to join).

The BIG will find it much more difficult from this point on to pry away another school from the ACC. I'm not saying it's not possible, but Maryland was easy pickings as was Rutgers from the Big East who had no other realistic options but to remain in the Big East hell forever.
    ----------------

Make the most of every opportunity for doing good in these evil days.

--Ephesians 5:16

Quote Originally Posted by BigDave View Post
    Huh? The "clear message" was that a system was set up in advance where if a non-BCS conference champ finishes in the top 16 and is ranked higher than an AQ school, then they get a bid. That was the only "message" - that we're following the system and the rules that are in place.

Sure, it's stupid that a team that lost at home to 4-8 Iowa and beat nobody of consequence is in the top 16, but that's the system we have.
    This is exactly right. The BCS didn't screw over Oklahoma. Oklahoma got screwed by the rules which have been in place for YEARS. When they set them up, I'm sure they never imagined a scenario where this would happen, but here we are. If they don't like it, they need to change the rules. Otherwise we're in the penultimate year of the BCS so we need to just get over it because it's all GONE after next year.
    *.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*. *.*.*.*.*.*

I just wish we would STOP with the zone blocking read option crap and line up in the I, put a hat on a hat and run the tailback behind the fullback through a designated gosh-danged hole. There is NO REASON why this program shouldn't be able to find 5 fat guys who can move some people out of the way and clear a lane for a back to get through!

Quote Originally Posted by BigDave View Post

Maybe so, but never has a 1 loss non AQ school made it before and there were much better teams in the past like TCU, Boise State,... who actually defeated traditional BCS AQ powers during their 1-11 or 1-12 regular seasons. Maybe the BCS wanted to award the MAC a BCS bowl before the present "system" comes to an end? NIU's BCS bowl selection seems like an 'in your face" statement to me even if they qualified because of their #15 ranking in the final BCS poll.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Line Hokie View Post
    Maybe so, but never has a 1 loss non AQ school made it before and there were much better teams in the past like TCU, Boise State,... who actually defeated traditional BCS AQ powers during their 1-11 or 1-12 regular seasons. Maybe the BCS wanted to award the MAC a BCS bowl before the present "system" comes to an end? NIU's BCS bowl selection seems like an 'in your face" statement to me even if they qualified because of their #15 ranking in the final BCS poll.
    Under the current rules NIU automatically qualified. The BCS had no choice but to take them. The Orange bowl would have much rather been stuck with Louisville than NIU, and the Sugar would have rather had Oklahoma.