Something to think about....

The 3 (possibly 4) teams added by the Big Ten have all been land grant universities, PSU, Nebraska, Maryland (and possibly Rutgers). The SEC expansion teams were both land grants aTm and Missouri. Only three non land grants in the B1G (Northwestern, Indiana, Michigan) and only four non land grants in SEC (Ole Miss, Vandy, Alabama, S. Carolina). ACC is expanding with non land grants, VPI is the only land grant that has been added to the ACC and they did not really want us. After the departure of Maryland there is only two other land grants besides VPI left in the ACC (NCState and Clemson). It appears to me that the conferences tend to add "like" universities when expanding. IMO, VPI needs to do what is necessary to try and join our university "brethren" in the SEC, we just do not fit in the "mold" of an ACC school. Just my $.02.

I doubt the "Land Grant" status buys us or anyone else anything 140 years after the fact.

it influences the kinds of programs you have and thus the ability to partner

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Touchdown View Post
    I doubt the "Land Grant" status buys us or anyone else anything 140 years after the fact.

I think in the next few days, You'll SEE where VT is heading..Things are getting Ready to happen...

LOL you really referred to us as VPI. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but these days it is a term used by our rivals that is in their eyes a slight to Virginia Tech. It isn't of course...in fact to me it is a reminder or our great heritage as a university.

However, I don't know many Hokies that use that term any more.

Quote Originally Posted by vtdasc90 View Post
    The 3 (possibly 4) teams added by the Big Ten have all been land grant universities, PSU, Nebraska, Maryland (and possibly Rutgers). The SEC expansion teams were both land grants aTm and Missouri. Only three non land grants in the B1G (Northwestern, Indiana, Michigan) and only four non land grants in SEC (Ole Miss, Vandy, Alabama, S. Carolina). ACC is expanding with non land grants, VPI is the only land grant that has been added to the ACC and they did not really want us. After the departure of Maryland there is only two other land grants besides VPI left in the ACC (NCState and Clemson). It appears to me that the conferences tend to add "like" universities when expanding. IMO, VPI needs to do what is necessary to try and join our university "brethren" in the SEC, we just do not fit in the "mold" of an ACC school. Just my $.02.
    You can't include Penn State in that list. The Penn State addition back in 1990-something was for far different reasons than the recent additions, although if that addition happened today, it would be a good addition for today's reasons.
    No trees were harmed in the making of this post. However, billions of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Quote Originally Posted by Stech View Post
    LOL you really referred to us as VPI. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but these days it is a term used by our rivals that is in their eyes a slight to Virginia Tech. It isn't of course...in fact to me it is a reminder or our great heritage as a university.

I like using the term VPI to reference Tech. As a younger alum I am probably in the minority to say this but I would love if the school went back to VPI. I know many many older Hokies that still use that term. Maybe it's because I am a history guy and I love heritage and tradition.
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    - Benjamin Franklin

I graduated from VPI as did my father so I do! Badge of Honor. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Stech View Post

yup, it sure seems that way. hope we wind up in the SEC or B1G