Many Hokies Doing Well in the NFL

Today we’re going to update you on the careers and seasons of every former Virginia Tech player who is currently on an NFL roster.

Brandon Flowers, CB, Kansas City Chiefs

Contract status: Signed through 2016.  In the middle of a six year, $49.35 million deal,  $22 million guaranteed.

A starting cornerback for the Kansas City Chiefs, Flowers has started all but one game in his NFL career.  It might not seem like it, but 2012 is his fifth year in the league.  He has three interceptions this season, and 16 for his career.  Unfortunately for Flowers, the Chiefs aren’t anywhere close to being a playoff team.

James Anderson, LB, Carolina Panthers

Contract Status: Signed through 2015.  In the middle of a five year, $22 million deal,  $8.5 million guaranteed.

Anderson has been a starting linebacker for the Panthers since the end of the 2009 season.  He started 15 games in 2010, all 16 games last year, and 12 games in 2012.  He has 73 tackles this season and finished with 145 last season and 130 in 2010.

The Panthers are 4-9 this season, and they have no hope to make the playoffs.

Duane Brown, LT, Houston Texans

Duane Brown

Contract Status: Signed through 2018.  In the middle of a seven year, $56.2 million deal, $22.08 million guaranteed.

Brown was a first round pick back in 2008.  After struggling a bit as a rookie, he has developed into one of the best left tackles in the NFL.  He has started all 73 games of his career.  Of all former Tech players who are currently in the NFL, Brown is the best.

Brown and the Texas are 11-2, and they’ve already clinched a spot in the playoffs.

Kam Chancellor, S, Seattle Seahawks

Contract Status: Signed through 2013.  In the middle of his rookie contract, which is a four year deal worth just over $2 million total.

Chancellor started 15 games for the Seahawks in 2011, when he had 97 tackles, four interceptions and 13 passes defended.  He made the Pro Bowl that season, his second season in the NFL.  So far in 2012, he had 85 tackles for a Seahawk secondary that is very big and very physical.  They are 8-5, with a shot at the playoffs.

Darryl Tapp, DE, Philadelphia Eagles

Contract Status: Signed through 2012.  At the end of a three year, $9 million deal.

After playing in Seattle for four years, Tapp is in his third season in Philadelphia.  He has played defensive end and defensive tackle for the Eagles.  Tapp has 24 career sacks, nine forced fumbles, and one touchdown.

Tapp and the Eagles are having a tough season with a 4-9 record, but Philadelphia’s offense is mostly to blame.

Jason Worilds, OLB, Pittsburgh Steelers

Contract Status: Signed through 2013.  In the middle of his rookie contract, which is a four year deal worth a total of $3.675 million.

Worilds made the move to outside linebacker in the NFL, and it’s been a steady process.  He started seven games in 2011, and he recorded three sacks.  This year he has played in 13 games, started three of them, and he’s racked up 25 tackles, five sack, and two passes defended.  Despite not being a full-time starter, his five sacks is tops on the team.

The Steelers are 7-6 and fighting for a playoff spot.

Michael Vick, QB, Philadelphia Eagles

Contract Status: Signed through 2016.  In the middle of a five year, $80 million deal.  $32.5 million guaranteed.

Vick’s numbers have fallen steadily since his outstanding 2010 season.  He’s currently out with a concussion, and this could be his last year as a Philadelphia Eagle.  He has played in nine games, and has struggled with turnovers.  Vick has tossed nine interceptions and fumbled 10 times, losing five of them.  At the age of 32, the former #1 overall pick has had a solid career, with a quarterback rating of slightly over 80.

At 4-9, the Eagles will miss the playoffs.

DeAngelo Hall, CB, Washington Redskins

Contract Status: Signed through 2014.  In the middle of a six year, $55 million deal.  $22.5 million guaranteed.

DeAngelo Hall is regarded as one of the best corners in the NFL (though some would argue that he’s slightly overrated).  He is in his ninth season in the NFL, though is still only 29 years old.  So far this season he has defended 11 passes, recorded four interceptions, and he also has a sack.  Hall has 39 interceptions for his career.  It looks as if he’ll reach the 50 interception mark in his career, which only 34 players have done.

At 7-6, the Redskins are fighting hard for a playoff spot.

David Wilson, RB, New York Giants

David Wilson

Contract Status: Signed through 2015.  In the first year of his rookie contract, which is a four year deal worth $6.684 million.

Wilson has been returning kicks for the Giants, but he finally broke out this past week. Not only did he return a kickoff for a touchdown, but he also had 100 yards rushing on 13 carries, scored two rushing touchdowns, and finished with a franchise record 327 all-purpose yards for the game. Wilson is the first player in NFL history to have at least 200 kickoff return yards and 100 rushing yards in the same game.

The Giants are 8-5 and narrowly leading the NFC East.

Will Montgomery, C, Washington Redskins

Contract Status: Signed through 2015.  In the first year of a four year, $12 million contract.

After bouncing around rosters and practice squads early in his career, Montgomery finally landed in Washington in 2008.  He started his first game in 2009, became a part-time starter in 2010, a full-time starter in 2011, and he’s started every game in 2012.  Montgomery has developed into one of the better centers in the NFL.  ProFootballFocus.com actually rates Montgomery as the #2 center in the NFL.

Montgomery and the Skins are on a roll, and hoping to ride it into the playoffs.

Josh Morgan, WR, Washington Redskins

Contract Status: Signed through 2013.  In the first year of a two year, $11.5 million contract.

Morgan was a starter for the 49ers for three years, and now he’s RGIII’s favorite target in DC.  He leads the team with 42 receptions this year, though he didn’t catch a touchdown pass until this past week against the Ravens.  Morgan isn’t a star, but he’s a good NFL receiver who will have a long career.

Jayron Hosley, CB, New York Giants

Contract Status: Signed through 2015.  In the first year of his rookie contract, which is a four year deal worth $2.637 million.

The rookie cornerback has played in 10 games for the Giants, starting four of them.  Hosley plays a lot of nickel, and he has 30 tackles and an interception on the season.  He has been one of New York’s most impressive rookies this year.

The Giants have a one game lead in the NFC East, though Washington and Dallas are within striking distance.

Jeff King

Jeff King, TE, Arizona Cardinals

Contract status: Signed through 2013.  In the middle of a three year, $5.5 million deal.

King is sometimes forgotten by Tech fans as an NFL player, but he’s been a full-time starter since his second season in 2007.  He started 62 games for the Carolina Panthers, and he’s started 20 total games for the Cardinals over the past two seasons.  King has 151 career catches and 12 touchdowns.

Shayne Graham, K, Houston Texans

Contract status: Signed through 2012.  Graham’s deal was a one year contract worth $990,000.

Graham has had a long NFL career, playing for eight different teams since he first broke into the league in 2001. (He played for Tech from 1996-1999.)  He has made 235 of his 275 career attempts, good for 85.5%.  That 85.5% mark ranks 7th best in NFL history and far exceeds his accuracy at Virginia Tech (68-of-93, 73.1%).  In 2012, he’s made 21-of-26 kicks (80.7%) for the division leading Texans.

Rashad Carmichael, CB, Houston Texans

Contract status: Signed through 2014.  In the middle of his rookie contract, which is a four year deal worth $2.437 million.

In 2011, Rashad Carmichael spent his rookie season on the injured reserve.  He was promoted to the active roster a few weeks ago, and he has played in Houston’s last three games.  He is currently #2 on the depth chart at right cornerback, and plays in some pass situation packages.

Carmichael, Duane Brown and Shayne Graham are all hoping to make a deep playoff push with the Texans.

Jarrett Boykin

Jarrett Boykin, WR, Green Bay Packers

Contract status: Signed through 2012.  As an undrafted rookie, Boykin makes $390,000 for Green Bay.

Boykin made the Green Bay active roster despite being an undrafted free agent.  He was originally signed by Jacksonville, who cut him a few days into mini-camp.  He tried out for Green Bay, won an invitation to preseason camp, and eventually made the active roster.  Boykin has appeared in seven games for the Packers, playing on special teams.  He has also caught four passes.

The Packers lead the NFC North, and they have a huge matchup with the Chicago Bears this weekend.

Darren Evans, RB, Tennessee Titans

Contract status: Signed through 2012.  Evans is on the injured reserved and his contract is listed at $390,000.

Evans was on the practice squad for most of last season with the Colts, and appeared in just two games.  He was on the practice squad for the Titans this year, was activated for one game, and immediately was injured.  He is now on the Injured Reserve list.

Cody Grimm, S, Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Contract status: Signed through 2013.  In the middle of his rookie contract, which is a four year deal worth $1.857 million.

Grimm started at safety as a rookie in 2010 for Tampa Bay before getting hurt and being placed on Injured Reserve.  In the second year of his career, he also started, but suffered another season ending injury after five games.  In 2012, Grimm didn’t start, but he played a lot of special teams until he was recently placed on the IR for the third season in a row.

Ryan Williams, RB, Arizona Cardinals

Contract status: Signed through 2014.  In the middle of his rookie contract, which is a four year deal worth $5 million.

Williams missed his entire rookie season with an injury, and after playing in five games in 2012 he was placed on the Injured Reserve for the second season in a row.  Williams has had problems with injuries dating all the way back to high school.  He has only remained healthy for one season: 2009 at Virginia Tech.  With that kind of injury history, he probably won’t last long as an NFL running back.

Eddie Royal, WR, San Diego Chargers

Contract status: Signed through 2014.  In the middle of a three year deal worth $13.5 million.  $6 million guaranteed.

After catching 91 passes as a rookie in 2008, Eddie Royal’s career has declined.  He had 37 receptions in 2009, 59 in 2010, only 19 in 2011, and just 16 so far this year for San Diego.  He is a smallish receiver, and as a result he’s rarely fully healthy.  He has been a very good punt returner and kick returner throughout his career.

The Chargers are 5-8 and out of playoff contention.

Xavier Adibi, LB, Tennessee Titans

Contract status: Signed through 2012.  One year deal worth $700,000.

Xavier Adibi has played for the Texans, Vikings and Titans throughout his career.  He started five games as a rookie for the Texans, but at this point it is clear that he’s a career backup and special teams contributor.

Tyrod Taylor

Tyrod Taylor, QB, Baltimore Ravens

Contract status: Signed through 2014.  In the middle of his rookie contract, which was a four year deal worth $2.145 million.

Tyrod Taylor is the #2 quarterback for the Baltimore Ravens.  He has completed 2-of-4 passes for 30 yards in five appearances this season.  He also has two carries for 11 yards.

The Ravens are the likely winners of the AFC North this season.

Danny Coale, WR, Dallas Cowboys

Coale has had bad luck this season.  He broke his foot in mini-camps, came back late in August, and was placed on the practice squad.  He recently tore his ACL in practice, and will be out for the remainder of the season.

Eddie Whitley, S, Philadelphia Eagles

Whitley spent the preseason with the Dallas Cowboys, and was on the practice squad of the 49ers briefly.  The Eagles signed him to their practice squad on December 5.

Bruce Arians, Interim Head Coach, Indianapolis Colts

We’d be remiss without mentioning Bruce Arians in this article.  Chuck Pagano was diagnosed with leukemia, and Arians was elevated to Interim Head Coach as a result.  All the former Virginia Tech quarterback has done is go 8-2 as a head coach.  The Colts are 9-4, one win away from clinching a spot in the postseason.  Remember, they went 2-14 last season, and are making this turnaround with a rookie quarterback.

Besides serving as interim head coach, Arians (who is 60) also serves as the team’s offensive coordinator and play caller.

26 Responses You are logged in as Test

1. THIS IS GREAT, I OFTEN WONDER ABOUT SOME OF THESE GUYS, MOST I KNOW WHERE THEY ARE. IT’S ALWAYS GREAT TO WATCH THE REDSKINS AND SEE SOME OF THE GUYS PLAY THERE.

THANK FOR A GOOD STORY

MERRY CHRISTMAS & A HAPPY NEWYEAR

I CAN ALWAY COUNT ON TECHSIDELINE TO KEEP ME UP TO DATE

2. Great article. i really hope Danny’s luck turns around. Awesome kid who just plays football. Tell me those uniforms on Duane and Jeff don’t take you back to when we looked and played the part. Now compare it to that crap that David Wilson is wearing. Night and day. Please go back to the uniforms of a few years ago. This crap we wear today is just awful.

1. Agree. The plethora of recent uniforms/helmets has been confusing. Poor marketing and branding (IMHO) to keep screwing around with the VT logo. The worst is that late season helmet with cartoon turkey and player number. No ID as to school affiliation. Unconscionable.

1. I agree, although I didn’t like the black unis in the past but Tyrod looks pretty bad a$% in that pic

3. More info on Duane Brown straight from the Texans:

Texans LT Duane Brown has allowed one sack in his last 29 games. He has been called for ONE HOLDING PENALTY HIS ENTIRE CAREER. !!!

Watch him pull and block downfield also. He’s the Real Deal.

1. I was at the Pats-Texans Monday night game and the Foster score was down by us (goal line seats a few rows up) and Brown totally paved the way for that TD. He was the only guy who seemed to completely dominate whatever the Patriots threw at him, though the Patriots are also a smart enough team to attack weaknesses, not strengths. I told my wife it was like watching a giant rock on the beach standing up to the waves while the sand erodes around it. Last year I was at the KC game and Tom Brady didn’t throw a ball at Flowers… that’s respect.

BTW, I was also unusually silent when the Pats were on defense because I didn’t want to distract a Hokie playing Oline. My wife wasn’t so pleased about that.

2. Could he please stop by his college alma mater and do an extended seminar for our OL on what it takes (technique, real blocking, consistency, determination, etc.) to be a successful O lineman?

Please as a Christmas present to all Hokies!!

4. Haha, I know that Vick had a rough year, but I can’t help but laugh at the comment that the Eagles O was mostly to blame for the losses. I think letting that Defense off the hook is a bit much. They have been pretty atrocious too.

1. Both have been bad, but the O has been worse to watch. Look at all the TOs the O has given up. Ends up short fields and easy TDs for a D that has been put in a bad position. However, the D was horrible in the Lions game when they were up by 9 or more and allowed 10 or 14 pts in the last 5 minutes?? That is bad.

GO HOKES BEAT THE knights!!!!!!!!!!!

5. I heard on ESPN this afternoon that Arians might be the front-runner to replace Andy Reid as head coach in Philadelphia.

1. Arians knows Philly: he coached at Temple for 5 years or so.

As far as him coming back to Tech: NO Way! NFL coaching money is much better than VT’s money. Plus Arians has no ties to Beamer.

I have no idea who Beamer is thinking about as a replacement coach on the offensive side of the ball–if he is thinking of that at all, as loyal as he is–but I have always wished the QB coach we had named Rogers would come back. But again he’s making big money in the NFL as an OC, so it’s doubtful Beamer can get him.

6. I’m really glad to see Boykin and Darren Evans sticking around. I was really disappointed that neither of those guys were drafted.

And sorry to nit-pick, but exactly who regards DeAngelo Hall as one of the best CBs in the NFL? Not us Redskins fans, I can assure you. 🙂

1. One of my former co-workers who is a big ‘skins’ fan asked me abour D’lo when the ‘skins signed him: “World Class, from the neck down.”

7. BA would not be interested in OC for a college team, even his alma mater. He’ll probably be the highest paid coordinator in the NFL or a HC next season. He is being touted for Coach of the Year honors this season.

BTW, besides having a rookie QB, the Colts start 9 (NINE!) rookies overall, mostly on Offense!

8. The thing about some of the players on bad teams…those teams may always be looking for upgrades. I am glad that King and Anderson have been mainstays. Hopefully they can be part of an improving team or find a home. Some of the players seem like they are always going to be injured…