The Hokie Hotline (football and basketball season)
When: Every Monday from 7:00-9:00 during football season, 7:00-8:00 during basketball season.
Where: Click here for a list of radio stations, and to find the link for listening to the show on the Internet (look to the right on the hokiesports.com page that loads when you click the link). You can see the show in person at Awful Arthur’s in Blacksburg, and you can also watch the archive on hokietv.com.
Hokie Hotline Notes, sponsored by Pete Dye River Course of Virginia Tech
Dye River Course of Virginia Tech has expanded non-resident areas that
qualify for a lower membership rate. For more information, visit RiverCourseGolf.com,
or call 540-633-6732 or 1-888-PeteDye. Play the course this weekend! Click
here for tee times.
- It’s been rewarding to see how the offense has progressed over the last
few games. They have had to overcome a lot, and they have.
- For three weeks in a row, the Hokies have rushed for more yards against
BC, Georgia Tech and Florida State than any of those teams’ other opponents
have managed this year. The line is healthier, and Branden Ore is healthier.
Tyrod Taylor also helped quite a bit against FSU.
- Defenses have to account for Taylor, such as using a spy on him. That
opens up seams in the defense for other plays.
- Justin Harper and Tyrod Taylor read the blitz perfectly on the first
- Josh Morgan is also playing very well. He has scored four touchdowns in
the last four games. He made a great play on the ball in the corner of the
- On Taylor’s touchdown run, he had the option to run or throw. The middle
of FSU’s defense opened up, so he ran it in.
- There was some great blocking on Tyrod Taylor’s run on third and 31. Duane
Brown was leading him downfield.
- Ike Whitaker is doing a nice job at wide receiver. However at this point,
all the attention is going to the guys who will see game action. This spring
will be big for Whitaker.
- Jahre Cheeseman has come in the last two weeks and done a nice job. The
staff has discussed him, and they feel like they should probably get him in
the game some more. He’s also doing a very good job on special teams.
- When FSU came back and took the lead, it showed the character of this team
to be able to come back and get the win. Especially with the past history
against the Noles.
- The NCAA peer review team is in town this week as part of the
certification process. It’s a busy week for the athletic department.
- The noon time slot for the UVA game is fine with Weaver. The coaching
staff would rather play earlier in the day than later in the day.
- Coach Bowden noted that it was one of the three most physical games he has
ever been a part of.
- There was a great deal of mutual respect from the players on both teams.
- Weaver was very pleased with the crowd for the opening games for men’s and
- The Virginia Tech men’s soccer team will get a bye in the first round of
the ACC tournament. They will face Maryland in the second round. That match
will take place this Wednesday at noon.
- Jim Weaver had no problem with the students rushing the field after the
FSU game. They deserved it. As long as the goal posts are taken down before
they get on the field, it’s okay.
- Weaver said he had been around college football for 41 years, and he’s
never seen an athlete as young as Tyrod Taylor be as poised.
- Tyrod Taylor was ACC Rookie of the Week for football, and Jeff Allen was
ACC Rookie of the Week for basketball. The Hokies have some good young
players in both of their major programs.
- It appears that the Gator Bowl is leaning towards taking a Big 12 team
this year. Texas might be available for the Gator to take. That would be
very attractive for them.
- It will be Senior Day on Saturday. It will be a special day.
- Beamer is proud that the team kept their composure after the third quarter
and dominated the fourth. They are still in the ACC Championship race, and
that’s the most important thing.
previous three games against FSU, the Hokies matched up well, but they didn’t
get it done. This time they did.
- Sean Glennon and Tyrod Taylor both have the ability to win football games,
however their ability to win comes in different areas. It’s a matchup thing.
They’ll continue to play it week by week and the opposing defense.
- It’s not like the quarterbacks are auditioning. The staff is just trying
to get the best out of each player. Taylor and Glennon are handling it well.
- The Hokies have been able to throw the ball well the last two games, and
that has helped the running game. Getting Wang at tackle and Marshman at
guard really helps as well.
- Beau Warren and Brett Warren have stepped in and done a great job. They
were needed, and they stepped up.
- Chris Ellis had a terrific game against FSU. He was all over the
quarterback, and he scored a touchdown.
- There was great effort from everyone on Tyrod’s long run. Duane Brown and
Branden Ore were throwing key blocks, and the receivers locked up the
defensive backs down field.
- Beamer wanted to go for it on fourth and one from the FSU 38, but he
decided to play the field position game and punt. It worked out well for the
- The team is getting healthier. Vince Hall is back. Eddie Royal looked good
on Monday, and so did Branden Ore. Ryan Shuman should be good to go as well.
- On FSU’s fake punt, it was a run/kick option. The punter had the option to
punt the ball or run it. The field was open, so he decided to run it. The
Hokies didn’t contain it well.
- Beamer has no strong feelings towards helmet to helmet hits. If the
quarterback is running, he’s no different than a running back, and running
backs get hit helmet to helmet all the time.
- Beamer isn’t worried about the team overlooking Miami for Virginia. The
Tech players know what kind of athletes Miami puts on the field.
- Beamer thinks Clemson will beat Boston College on Saturday night. BC has
some banged up linebackers, and the game is at Clemson. The Tigers have some
- This senior class has a chance to have four 10-win seasons. No other VT
senior class has done that. That would be a great accomplishment.
- Miami has some excellent young running backs in their program. They are
very athletic across the board, and they have receivers who make big plays.
They also have some future NFL guys on defense like Calais Campbell.
- Miami will come in and play very hard. Their backs are against the wall.
Monday was Day 1,073 of Virginia Tech’s continuous possession of the Commonwealth Cup.